Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My late fathers Mondeo, is sadly getting on it's last legs, the clutch is on the way out, and that is likely to be an expensive job.

I'm thinking about a 2016 2.0d 180BHP Portfolio (I assume this is the ingenium), with 37k on the clock. It has manufacturers warranty until April 2019.

Anything to be aware of? Or is this just an all round excellent car?

Thanks
Thomas

· Registered
283 Posts
Hi mate, it is definitely a good allrounder car. Depending on what you are looking for.
If you are a multimedia and infotainment addict, it is not the right car. The infotainment design is a bit poor and there are no many options available. Not apple car play or android auto available. You can't use the monitor like a giant phone screen. It doesn't read the incoming whatsapp text or email. Navigaton system so so.
The portfolio is adequate to offer enough luxury feeling.
The best part: the driving experience. The steering is very precise and the car really likes winding roads.
A bit of road noise is always noticeble in the cabin. Suspension are not soft but not hard. I would describe them as adequate, not great. A good balance between confort and control. The ingenium is adequate engine, not more than that, probably same performance as your mondeo. Noisy up to 2000 rpm, very quiet at steady speed (you can't notice it). Very fuel efficient if you drive sensible, average if not (45mpg).
It's a beauty, I think there is no other car in the same range of price so classy and beautiful like the xf. I Love the portfolio trim, the very last old time style trim.

· Registered
830 Posts
Assuming it has the basic infotainment, it is adequate, no more. Beware on the Sat Nav. It has a habit of directing you down twisty single track roads. It doesn't seem to realise these are not suitable for 60mph, no matter what the speed limit is.
If you want the car as a car, you should be happy. If you are a tech nut, you may be less so.

Interior is comfortable and smart, without being in your face.

Suspension is a well known plus point. OK it may not be super comfortable, but it is a bit of both. Overall it is a super suspension. Its rare to get something that comfortable, but also one that handles so well.

Noise, yes there is a bit of road noise. The main downside. Less so wind noise, but certainly road noise.

The engine is on a par with most others. No better. A little bit noisier than some other diesels like the VW diesels, but nothing terrible. It provides power fairly quickly, and is pretty quick when you put your foot down. Power delivery is fairly linear with no obvious turbo lag. In fact, in this respect it is better than the VW diesels, and they are very good. Overall you should be pretty happy.

Space in the back is good. The boot is large but awkward to get some things into. That is a downside, but to be expected on saloon vehicles.

· Administrator
10,099 Posts
New update on incontrol touch pro does allow text messages to be read and can be replied to, JLR are constantly updating the infotainment and will apply the updates when in for servicing or other warranty work.

Incontrol touch pro is the one to look out for as it has WiFi hotspot available, a much faster touchscreen with pinch and zoom and plenty more options over the standard incontrol including a full 12.3" digital instrument display. Also comes as standard with a digital version of the 380w meridian stereo.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
I had the 09 XF3.0D S Portfolio, which had the best CD sound system I have ever heard in a car: Pretty much concert hall quality. If the present Portfolio has the same system, you will love that part of it!

The satnav was pretty poor though: It was the one item which was a let down on an otherwise superb car.

· Registered
830 Posts
New update on incontrol touch pro does allow text messages to be read and can be replied to, JLR are constantly updating the infotainment and will apply the updates when in for servicing or other warranty work.

Incontrol touch pro is the one to look out for as it has WiFi hotspot available, a much faster touchscreen with pinch and zoom and plenty more options over the standard incontrol including a full 12.3" digital instrument display. Also comes as standard with a digital version of the 380w meridian stereo.
Lets hope there are updates for the normal InControl Touch. If only to make it quicker, and improve the Sat Nav.
Saying that, text messages already can be read out (it won't let me read them as I'm driving, but it will read them out to me).
Replies are a list of set replies. So not much use.

In for a service tomorrow, so will see what is done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.