Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've removed the head, harmonic balancer and timing cover to replace some gaskets and seals. The timing chains are now easily accessible. Should I change them while I have easy access? I have no idea as to how many miles they've done. Is there an easy way to check the condition of timing chains (when the engine isn't running)?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Hello freoway,

yes they can be checked but it is quite subjective. If you know what a new chain feels like and a worn one then it is possible, if not then not really.

For peace of mind the I would replace them as they are not particularly expensive.

Alec

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello freoway,

yes they can be checked but it is quite subjective. If you know what a new chain feels like and a worn one then it is possible, if not then not really.

For peace of mind the I would replace them as they are not particularly expensive.

Alec
Hi Alec. I think you're on the money. I was surprised how cheap the quality ones were.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.