Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

I'm always been disappointed by the yellowish color of the stock light, but sometimes I think that the color of my x-type lights it's not normal, too much yellowish, perhaps I'd better make check their voltage?
Position lights are really awful.
Obviously I'm planning to buy whiter lamps, such as Philips White vision, but I will not get an improvement If I have a too low voltage in the headlights.
Advices much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Philips bulbs will be an improvement, but not much! I had HIDs in for years, but have recently upgraded to LED X- Lytes with quad LED halo's. Absolutely love them, and much brighter & whiter.
Vehicle Tire Sky Wheel Car

·
Premium Member
2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 88K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats
6,289 Posts
View attachment 53025
I'm always been disappointed by the yellowish color of the stock light, but sometimes I think that the color of my x-type lights it's not normal, too much yellowish, perhaps I'd better make check their voltage?
Position lights are really awful.
Obviously I'm planning to buy whiter lamps, such as Philips White vision, but I will not get an improvement If I have a too low voltage in the headlights.
Advices much appreciated.
I fitted Osram Cool Blue Intense... brighter, whiter and an improvement over standard halogens.

Also perhaps worth checking the grounding points.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
If your budget doesn't quite stretch the the X Lytes (which are very good!) then I would reccommend you do two things. Firstly, give the lenses a proper polish, plenty of kits are available. Secondly, fit a set of Osram Night breakers.

Providing you have no underlying electrical issues, this should make a huge improvement.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Many posts on the topic of headlamps on the forum: all good advice above: I’m using uprated Osram lamps at the moment which are a big improvement. Yep, a voltage check is worthwhile: I checked at the connector block to each lamp: you should be getting about the same voltage as at the battery terminals.

Reactions: MarkFY and RWD3M

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Not yellowish, golden. Golden lights ;)

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
To get your whites clean and bright, the simple method is this.

Get LED side lights. The sort hat don't have a forward facing LED.
Like these:

Then turn the fogs into side lights by putting a low output LED in them, like these ones.

I Used the OSRAM Nightbreaker extreme in the dip. They are half way white and half way gold but lots of light on the road. They probably looked about 4000K to try to match to.

Reactions: Straker62

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
By the way, to get the side light bulb holders out, just need to squeeze the holder to unlatch the clip. No need for Stillson grips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of for your valuable advices: the problem when considering new lights is if LED Lamps or retrofit HID Xenon lights will give legal problems: this issue can be easily solved before the MOT, replacing all the LED lamps with the original ones just before the MOT date, but the problem remain really serious if during a night trip the road police will stop you: the risk of seizure of the car is very high and aniway unacceptable to me.
Nevertheless I'm thinking that if dipped headlights lamps must be absolutely legal, however if you put a LED bulb in the position lights or fog lights they should not sanction you because they can not dazzle cars traveling in the opposite direction (and they are easy to replace before the MOT).
Looking at some tables published on the web now my lights have a color equal to a temperature of about 2,800 kelvin, as already mentioned really too yellow: I would like to get to a temperature of 4,000 for dipped headlights and position lights and replace the standard fog lights with LED bulbs to be able to see well during the nights of rain and haze.
So I'd like to buy H1 Philips white vision or or Osram cool intense blue for dipped headlights (just a little less than 4.000 K in real world), Philips 4.000K Led W5W T10 position lights (thus they are perfectly compatible from an aesthetic point of view and they are much powerful than a normal W5W white vision) and LED Fog Lights just tailored for Jaguar X-type (really plug and play) that I can find here at 40 euros.
I'll keep you updated when all of them fitted on my Jag. I have forgotten to say that in my previous X-type 2.0D Executive that I owned from 2004 to 2021 I had ordered her with Xenon Lights, and now I miss them very much.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thanks to all of for your valuable advices: the problem when considering new lights is if LED Lamps or retrofit HID Xenon lights will give legal problems: this issue can be easily solved before the MOT, replacing all the LED lamps with the original ones just before the MOT date, but the problem remain really serious if during a night trip the road police will stop you: the risk of seizure of the car is very high and aniway unacceptable to me.
Nevertheless I'm thinking that if dipped headlights lamps must be absolutely legal, however if you put a LED bulb in the position lights or fog lights they should not sanction you because they can not dazzle cars traveling in the opposite direction (and they are easy to replace before the MOT).
Looking at some tables published on the web now my lights have a color equal to a temperature of about 2,800 kelvin, as already mentioned really too yellow: I would like to get to a temperature of 4,000 for dipped headlights and position lights and replace the standard fog lights with LED bulbs to be able to see well during the nights of rain and haze.
So I'd like to buy H1 Philips white vision or or Osram cool intense blue for dipped headlights (just a little less than 4.000 K in real world), Philips 4.000K Led W5W T10 position lights (thus they are perfectly compatible from an aesthetic point of view and they are much powerful than a normal W5W white vision) and LED Fog Lights just tailored for Jaguar X-type (really plug and play) that I can find here at 40 euros.
I'll keep you updated when all of them fitted on my Jag. I have forgotten to say that in my previous X-type 2.0D Executive that I owned from 2004 to 2021 I had ordered her with Xenon Lights, and now I miss them very much.
My car passed 4 MOT's with HID,s fitted, and passed the last one with my X-lytes fitted, but Italy might be different. I know Spain is very strict about changes, but here in the UK, they seem to be less strict.

Reactions: 98_Martin

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have a stype rear subframe n/s cat with front pipe rear wheel bearing anti roll bar bushes fuel filter all new 2004s type any one interested thanks subframe is minted
This is the X type forum, you would need the S type forum!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My car passed 4 MOT's with HID,s fitted, and passed the last one with my X-lytes fitted, but Italy might be different. I know Spain is very strict about changes, but here in the UK, they seem to be less strict.
Dear Euan you are like the tempting snake of Eden! They told me that here in Italy the MOT employees often pay attention to the operation of the lights rather than their power or color temperature, so LED bulbs could pass the MOT, but, as already written, I'm afraid in case of a control by a traffic police patrol, especially if it should happen during night time: on the booklet of my car is not indicated the equipment of xenon lights as standard, so they could immediately realize that I'm using LED or Xenon light, and if they do, they could seize my car. I admit that in my life I was stopped by a road police patrol during night time only once, when I was twenty-three, just at the exit of a disco parking; now I'm fifty-nine (sixty in August) and I'm no more planning to go dancing on Saturday nights ;)
I'm still considering, LED or white Halogen bulbs?

Reactions: Euan Tausney

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your budget doesn't quite stretch the the X Lytes (which are very good!) then I would reccommend you do two things. Firstly, give the lenses a proper polish, plenty of kits are available. Secondly, fit a set of Osram Night breakers.
As can be seen from the picture, the headlights and fog lights are really clean and transparent, no need to polish them: Osram Laser Night breakers remain a candidate, as alternative to LED bulbs.
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
As can be seen from the picture, the headlights and fog lights are really clean and transparent, no need to polish them: Osram Laser Night breakers remain a candidate, as alternative to LED bulbs.
View attachment 53414 View attachment 53414
You mentioned in your opening post checking the voltage. Did you do this? And was the picture (in the opening post) taken with the engine running?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You mentioned in your opening post checking the voltage. Did you do this? And was the picture (in the opening post) taken with the engine running?
Hello, no I haven't checked yet the voltage, it will be done in the garage before changing bulbs, and yes, the engine was running while I took the picture in the opening post.
I have ordered Philips white vision (not the last version white vision ultra that some youtuber consider worse than the older "white vision") for dip beam and Osram 4.000K Led T10 bulbs for position lights:actually I have received White vision ultra, perhaps the vendor have shipped the wrong version, or, more likely, the older one is sold out.
I decided to remain legal, but yesterday morning, while I was driving on the Modena- Brennero Highway to visit a supplier of the firm I'm working for, I was overtaken by a similarly X-type aged saloon elegant car, that is a Lancia Lybra with LED white headlights and I was immediately regretting my decision, this old car with LED bulbs was looking very good.
Now I'm waiting the OSRAM position lights, I hope they will be delivered next week: aniway I will post a picture to compare with old lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yesterday I went to the garage of electrician to install the new Philips white vision ultra for position and dip lights and the difference is clear;
before
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Sky

and after
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle

as you can see there is a big difference, above all referring to position lights that were really awful: there is not a 6.000 K color temperature, but that too much yellowish 2.500 K white has gone. The garage man measured the voltage and was perfect, 13,6 volt.
Thus I have decided to buy Philips White vision (not ultra) to replace the ultra in the dip light and to put them in the fog light to have the same color temperature in all the front lights
I must admit that, as I have read in the net many times, with these bulbs you gain a more white light, but also a less strong one. If you want natural white and very strong light it seems that LED bulbs are the only way to go. The Garage man have tried to convince me not to take that road, we'll see in the future what I will decide, the light power at night seems to me really weak, you know, I was used to Xenon lights with my previous X-type :rolleyes:
I'm still waiting for 4.000 K T10 5W5 LED OSRAM bulbs, I'd like to see if they can be used as DRL, as they are much more powerful than halogen ones: however, if their color temperature will be too much different from dipped lights, I can use them as number plate lights.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Yesterday I went to the garage of electrician to install the new Philips white vision ultra for position and dip lights and the difference is clear;
before
View attachment 54010
and after
View attachment 54011

as you can see there is a big difference, above all referring to position lights that were really awful: there is not a 6.000 K color temperature, but that too much yellowish 2.500 K white has gone. The garage man measured the voltage and was perfect, 13,6 volt.
Thus I have decided to buy Philips White vision (not ultra) to replace the ultra in the dip light and to put them in the fog light to have the same color temperature in all the front lights
I must admit that, as I have read in the net many times, with these bulbs you gain a more white light, but also a less strong one. If you want natural white and very strong light it seems that LED bulbs are the only way to go. The Garage man have tried to convince me not to take that road, we'll see in the future what I will decide, the light power at night seems to me really weak, you know, I was used to Xenon lights with my previous X-type :rolleyes:
I'm still waiting for 4.000 K T10 5W5 LED OSRAM bulbs, I'd like to see if they can be used as DRL, as they are much more powerful than halogen ones: however, if their color temperature will be too much different from dipped lights, I can use them as number plate lights.
Good example of colour difference.

Here are the results of many H1 bulbs tested in both reflector and projector headlights. There seems no relationship between the, LUX and lumen output or colour and . I think it has all the info we could ask for, including blue bulbs are useless. Cheers.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mine, with them there 150% lamps: I find them not too shabby at all.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Reactions: Jag-Black

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Mine, with them there 150% lamps: I find them not too shabby at all.

View attachment 54370
I reckon you have to go a long way to beat your setup. Having the lamps adjusted to the perfect position makes all the difference too.

Reactions: JohnW
1 - 20 of 20 Posts