Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me in locating the filling point for the auto transmission fluid? I've had to change the n/s track control arm which necessitated moving the transmission fluid cooler to get to a bolt underneath it (stupid set up). I lost about half a litre of fluid when the pipes were removed which is evident in the gear change so I've stopped driving it until I can top it up.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You will have the ZF 6HP26 gearbox, and the drain hole is also the fill hole, ie only one hole. It's on the side of the gearbox.
Search the interwebz for video instructions on changing the fluid on a ZF 6HP26, I know there are two or three out there, and that will show you how to top up the fluid. From memory that bolt/plug is a pig to get at!

·
Registered
132 Posts
As above, the only way is via the drain/filler hole on the rear nearside part of the gearbox.
You will need to use a high-lift or jack up the car enough to crawl underneath. The correct level can only
be measured at an operating temp of 40C - the point at which the oil just dribbles out of the filler/drain hole. Adding
more oil will require some form of pump. I wrote up this whole procedure for the XKE owners club and believe it can be
found via a few web sites. Just enter oil change jaguar 6-speed ZF GEARBOX, OR SIMILAR AND YOU SHOULD FIND IT.
It is a ***** to get at and you will need to allow a morning if you do it yourself. The correct oil is essential!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yep, forgot to add, the correct fluid is ZF Lifeguard 6. Not cheap, but it commonly comes in one litre bottles and one of those bottles should be plenty for a top up.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Can anybody help me in locating the filling point for the auto transmission fluid? I've had to change the n/s track control arm which necessitated moving the transmission fluid cooler to get to a bolt underneath it (stupid set up). I lost about half a litre of fluid when the pipes were removed which is evident in the gear change so I've stopped driving it until I can top it up.
Run the car for 10-15 minutes. Level plug is circular on the rear offside of the sump pan, just above the pan. You may need to cut down an allen key as there is not enough room for a full size one. Don't forget, sump is topped up with the car running. Losing half a litre should not have any detrimental affect unless it was already low, so best to be prepared with a couple of litres. Euro Car Parts can supply LF6 fluid if you order the day before, or you could use Febi oil from them which is a lot cheaper. Get a proper full exchange of oil every 40,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.