Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a very nice X type 2.2 diesel and will be fitting a detachable tow bar.I was wondering if there is a live 12v in the boot I can pick up for the bypass relay.
If the X Type is based on the Mondeo which has a 1800 kg tow capacity why is the Jag only 1500 kg is there some difference at the rear.:confused:
many thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I think there is one in the left hand corner of the boot, up behind that sides light cluster.

I know on my estate it's behind the cover around the CD changer, a little, single, grey connector.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am looking into this as well and have and have found a 3 terminal plug behind the trim on the left hand side of the boot. There is a black wire that goes down to earth. a brown wire that has an unswitched full time 12 volt supply and a brown and green wire that I believe is a switched 12 volt supply that will work when I discover what fuse to put in what fuse box. I have checked fuse 19 in the box in the glove compartment and its in place and good to go, I have also checked fuse 4 in the same fuse box and that is all good as well. The car is a 56 plate 2.2 diesel. Does any one know what I am missing here to get a supply on the green and brown cable. Thanks. PS sorry for the thread hijack John.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Goudy. My plan is to pick up a feed and with a 16 amp line fuse supply the bypass relay This has worked for me on my other cars It's a lot cheaper than a dedicated kit and has never given me any problems.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
To get power to the Brown/Green connection in the boot, the fuse must be good (Fuse No varies year to year) and a 4 or 5 terminal relay has to be fitted in the Passenger Junction Fuse Box in the position three down from the top, lefthand side of the fuse panel.

·
Registered
671 Posts
To get power to the Brown/Green connection in the boot, the fuse must be good (Fuse No varies year to year) and a 4 or 5 terminal relay has to be fitted in the Passenger Junction Fuse Box in the position three down from the top, lefthand side of the fuse panel.
Thanks astromorg. I will check that out over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Starting to look like a dedicated kit may be worth fitting after all.

Mine was simple, plug and play, 45 minutes to fit, it even cuts the parking sensors when there's a socket in the plug.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tow Bar now fitted, wired up and all ok.Picked up a live feed in boot by the cd changer.Many thanks for the very useful advice.Top forum for all things Jaguar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.