Turbo and engine management

BadWolf77

Reaction score
Hi all, new member with a problem with my XF 3.0 TD. Basically, the engine management light has come on and the turbo is making a whoosh noise but won't kick in. Or at least, the first turbo won't, the second does (until the light kicks in). (It had started doing it but still working and then all of a sudden things changed...).

I'm assuming it's something like a split pipe somewhere but I've no idea where.

Can anyone point me the right direction or give me a ball park cost for an indy garage to fix?

Many thanks!

Jag-Black

Reaction score
Hi. If it's a hose clip it might take 20 mins to change at the garage hourly rate. A replacement pipe from a garage will be between £50 to £90 and take an extra 10 mins to replace. So ball park repair cost Between £30 to £135 plus VAT from a garage asking £45 per hour. All guess work based on my life's experiences. Cheers :)

BadWolf77

Reaction score
That's music to my ears! Do you know where I should look under the bonnet to get an idea or is it just not worth the hassle?

Jag-Black

Reaction score
That's music to my ears! Do you know where I should look under the bonnet to get an idea or is it just not worth the hassle?
I'm not so familiar with your engine but it sounds like there will be no room to work. It will likely be best accessed from underneath once the under trays are off. The new pipes will be as tight as ever to get on and you will need experience, cunning, persistence and very strong, long but thin arms with big hands, oh and able to work where you can't see what you're doing. I'd put money on it.

BadWolf77

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube of someone changing their turbos and it was exactly that. I hoping the tubes might be a little less ridiculous...

BadWolf77

Reaction score
Spoke to a garage, they estimate it might be a 10 hour job... does that sound reasonable? I know it's probably tricky to get to, but that seems excessive

BadWolf77

Reaction score
Spoken to a Jag and Land Rover expert, and after 30 seconds it's diagnosed as a split manifold. Pretty obvious when you know, oil everywhere. 5 hours and £200 part. Still ouch but a lot less than it might have been!