Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question regarding oil type for the 3L TD engine.

I have done 2 oil changes since owning this car both times using C1 Jag recommended oil first one I used Millers C1 and last wek used Shell again C1 but after a chat with a Indy Jag garage he said it's worth trying a fully syth C3 oil and that is what they use in the XF as it better cleaning properties.

So what are your thoughts on this change of oil anyone using a C3 ?.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
What does your handbook say.
I only use fully synth on my 2.2.

Roger

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does your handbook say.
I only use fully synth on my 2.2.

Roger
Unfortunately I can't find my handbook I know I put it somewhere safe so safe I can't find it.

I'm not great at understanding oil's but I wonder if C3 is Fully Synth, back to google.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
If Jaguar specify that C1 is recommended for their DPF then I’d stick with C1. C3 may clean fractionally better (possibly) but that’s at the expense of higher Ash and potentially an ash type that can permanently block the DPF. C1 is no better or worse than C3 allegedly, just different and so you want to stick with what’s recommended. In truth it’s doubtful it will make any tangible difference but why risk it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always like to carry 1L of oil for top up when abroad and doing high mileage so when I first bought my XF 3.0D I was surprised that my main dealer only stocked C2 oil in 1L containers for top up. So I wrote to Jag HQ to enquire how important this was. The answer was absolutely categorical - they would only support the use of the oil they specified in the handbood which was C1 - specifically WSS-M2C934-B C1 for DPF engines as listed by Robinus above. Whilst you could use a small amount of C2 for emergency top up only, they would not support it for anything else. Investigation showed that C1 is a particularly low ash oil ( the lowest ) ,and I think was introduced at about the time the 3.0L engine was introduced. Having known other XF owners who did not heed the oil recommendations and had lots of DPF warnings I am tempted to believe that it may be linked with slowing the build up of ash in the DPF but have not had this confirmed. When I knew my dealer only stocked C2 for top up I was concerned as to what he was using for main oil changes. It turned out that he was using Mobil Super3000 C1 oil which at least at the time was only supplied by Mobil to the UK in bulk - hence no top up quantities . Jag have confirmed this oil is also acceptable and can be mixed but only in top up quantities with the Castrol C1 oil . Some main dealers keep the Castrol C1 as per handbook however even today C1 oil is not too easy to come by in general stores which is a pain.
My dealer was somewhat surprised at the questions I was asking and was even more surprised when I showed him the reply I had received from Jag! I think the big dealer chains are supplied their oil from a central purchasing department so do not necessarily get involved in such detail - be warned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.