Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Afternoon,

Whilst at work yesterday I noted my O/S front looked a tad low which would explain the front end being a bit crabby when low speed turning.

Didny have my gauge or tyre inflator with me (don't ask, SWMBO borrowed) so set about it this morning before work.

Checked the tyre and got a reading of 19.5psi, checked the other front and got 21, checked the rears and they were 22.

Now my question is, are these low readings to do with the current atmospherics, it being cold?

Or have I really been running round on deflated tyres?

All 3 gauges I could use to check read the same and 3 of the tyres look to be inflated correctly.

In the absence of my ability to have taken notice in Physics class, can anyone shed light?

As a temporary measure I've put 26 in the rears and 25 in the fronts.

Rich

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
The pressure will drop the colder it gets Rich. If you don’t have a puncture then they are probably down relative to the ambient.
In winter I usually keep mine at 2 psi above recommended and check them twice per week as the temperature falls.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
It will vary a little with weather but not a great deal ( 5 psi over when hot ) you should always check and fill from cold or before driving.

I would be wary of any cheap electronic tyre pressure gauge as well , a nice good quality analogue one is better and more reliable.

I have Nitrogen in my tyres , only because I have it on tap in a few factories I visit to top up my small bottle. 32 front and 30 rear.

My tyre pressures haven't changed in 6 months on the Jag , but do on the Mondeos as the rims are 11 years old now.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Gents,

But mind talk is playing tricks with me.

So if the book says 30 psi for a tyre, is it safe to inflate to this no matter the ambient temperature.

In other words, is 30psi on a nice warm day, 30 psi on a cold one?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If the tyres are cold , put in 30 psi.

If you have just been driving enthusiastically , put in 33 psi.

Best done when cold and un-driven.

I have seen 5 psi difference / higher when checked in summer after driving to the next morning.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on the above responses from my esteemed friends,

I've redone them and inflated to 30psi on all 4,

'Appen I'll notice a difference on the waft home at 2200.

:-D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Rich,

Here is a picture of one of my trusty Michelin compressors with the added analogue gauge.

Just thought I would post it for you to have a look at while you are at work :)

The digital bit and auto cut off is ok , just nice to verify with a known manual gauge too.

These live in the Mondeos along with puncture repair bradawls and rubber slugs.

Touch wood , no tyre issues with the XJ to date - Mondeos seem to attract wood screws and self tappers etc lol !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.