Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought I would share our experience with our XF PL 2.7 2009 MY. We bought two of these as company cars in August last year, mine had almost 30k on the clock and my colleague's had only 26k. As I say they are both the same spec, just different body colour!

I am not a fan of Diesel engines, but I was swayed when I test drove and eventually bought a 2.7 S-Type in December 2010. I was blown away by both the performance and low noise level of the powerplant, so I thought that the XF can only be better.

On taking delivery, I noticed that my XF was a little more noisey than my S-Type, but as the weeks passed either it was grating me more or it appeared to get worse. Comparing it to my colleagues car and the difference was quite apparent. It is very much a Diesel type noise but tappety, it comes in at around 1500 rpm (under load) and is there until I lift off the throttle. It sounds more like a Mondeo! When cruising at speed it can't be heard but I am not sure that is due to road noise etc.

I took it into my local Dealer who accepted that there was a noise and suspected the vacuum valve mechanisms (they were described to me as being like saxophone keys that sit over the inlet and exhaust valves and dampen their noise). Arranged for the car to be in for a couple of days. On collection the technician confirmed that his diagnosis was correct those parts were worn and infact the car did sound much better. Within a month the noise was back, contacted the dealer, who said they would have to get the Regional Technical Manager (very knowledgeable and nice chap by the way) in to diagnose and test drive the car.

His diagnosis was that it is an acceptable injector noise, which, unfortunately could not be rectified. I argued that my old S-type (which had twice the mileage) didn't have such a noise nor my colleagues car. He declared that it doesn't happen on every 2.7 basically saying that it is the luck of the draw. He did mention that this would not occur with the 3.0L engine - isn't that almost an admission that there has been a design change? When asked why the noise disappeared after the 'saxophone keys' had been replaced he explained that the injectors would have been removed and therefore been reset, the ECU then adjusts them constantly until it arrives at it's own 'map' for both economy and performance, this could take from a couple of days to weeks!

I made my position very clear that I wasn't happy and I found it 'rubbish' for a premium brand to suggest that such a noise is acceptable.

That was in January, I wrote to Jaguar Customer Care who acknowledged my complaint but after discussing the matter with the Regional Technical Manager she could only accept his judgement.

The upshot is that the car is now noisier! even pootling at 30mph it still sounds like a Mondeo - I thought JLR were trying to shake that reference off!

Both cars have Jag Extended Warranties with them, which is just as well as the number of problems in addition to the one above (rusting boot lid, seized parking brake, electric window motor) they would be costing us a fortune.

Has/does any other member experienced the same noise issue?

·
Registered
508 Posts
A bit strange that the optimum point for the injectors wrt power and economy should be the noisier one? Maybe the noise will go away if you take the car for an ECU remap, ref thread on that issue?

BTW, I tried an S some years ago and it was lots noisier than my XF 2.7.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Per

"BTW, I tried an S some years ago and it was lots noisier than my XF 2.7"

Perhaps that is proving the rule then as not all the 2.7's will be the same as I was told

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.