Jaguar Forum banner

unstable engine temperature

Tags
cold run
3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Nimiq1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

I have problem with engine temperature.
For example when i am driving on motorway i will reach engine temp to middle(90deg) but when i am coming to exit and knock the gear out my temp will drop.
I changed both thermostats it is better witch solved very slow engine warming up.
Thermostats are both original from jag dealer.
Could my waterpump be failing?

and any idea where this should be connected?

https://serving.photos.photobox.com...2ae8d665a744b159dfb4d40df79d0267c9e3c6957.jpg

xtype 2008 2.2 d 152bhp

Thanks

#2 ·
That plug is for the transit relay which is removed at PDI by the dealer.
It should stow in a hole at the back of battery box or air box.
You temp gauge is displaying what is perfectly normal behaviour for many x types, so I doubt it's anything to worry about.

#4 ·
More likely to be a thermostat problem if anything, I would have thought?

#6 ·
If you've replaced both stats check there isn't contamination in the system keeping the coolant stat open. If the pump wasn't working the engine would generally over heat. These symptoms generally only rear there head when the ambient temperatures drop and the stat isn't closing properly.

Although they are genuine, are they the correct temp rating?

#7 ·
The temp sensor is under the water pump drive pulley on the head.

#10 ·
Very interesting indeed......

I wonder if an undercharged Air Con system could create the same scenario?

My Jag is running perfectly now, temperature wise but very heavy on fuel, so wondering if it is also an ECU thing, telling it that it is cold.

A/C does not work, never has.

#11 ·
No if its undercharged it just won't come on at all, an overcharged system will run the funs continuosly until the pressure switch knocks it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.