Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Its quiet on here so want to play a diagnostic game? My car is in the garage having a diagnostic done to determine the disposal method of my car. Either repair and sell or sell as spares or repair before I get my next one. I've been looking for cars the past week, nothing is interesting me. So it's a jag again which type I do not know but a jag it will most likely be.
Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in! :)

Clues? The battery went flat when I picked it up from the last repair. I gathered that was cos it's been there sitting for a month. It went flat again after it broke down last month after sitting with hazzard on listening to the radio, 4 hours that time If I remember right.
Your battery's probably fragged. When mine went all sorts of weird stuff started to happen including phantom faults.

On one occasion it went into limp mode and the speedo stopped recording altogether, just sat on the pin. Managed to limp it back home and borrowed Mam's Golf to get to work. On getting back home later in the day the X-Type deigned to start without issue. Lack of use at the time probably didn't help and neither did Lockdown later. I ended up buying a fancy charger and charging the battery with it every fortnight but in the end decided to cut the crap and bought a brand new battery from the RAC. Been fine since.

Maybe buy a new battery, keeping the old one, and see if the new battery makes a difference. If it doesn't put the old battery back in Bic and you have a brand new battery when you turn out to be unable to resist that shiny 59-Plate X-Type Sov you know you will be unable to resist buying. :D

Reactions: Little George

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Battery is my first port of call in a few hours when I phone them. I'll just get them to put one on and check the alternator. I did actually suspect that in a small way, after my initial post and with what everyone has said. The battery looks way too small for the car after seeing the size of jag batteries.
Do you mean small as in physical size? The battery should pretty much fill the box. I forget who it was now but one of our members on here opened his X-Type's battery box after it started to act up and was astonished to find that the battery was nearly half the size that it should've been - someone had just whacked in a battery out of a hot hatch or something. What was more surprising was that the car had been starting fine with that battery for months until it eventually started to give up the unequal struggle.

Reactions: Little George

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Exactly that, Thing looked like it came out of a fiesta. Half the box size. Looked up a jag battery and it's the size ( actually the same one) as in my LT46. Asked the garage to put me the propper jag one on, then do the tests again, yeah I know it's (possibly) wasted few quid but if bic gets going I'll leave it on, If not It goes on my van which I'm also selling and the semi duff one on the van goes on the car spares or repair.
The battery I got for mine is the RAC004 Car Battery Type 110/115 12V 85Ah. Home Fitting was free as I am an RAC Member and the technician checked the electrical system as well while he was on. Came with a lifetime guarantee.

OEM for that battery is Varta and I think they have an identical spec battery in their range, don't have the model number to hand at the moment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts