Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its quiet on here so want to play a diagnostic game? My car is in the garage having a diagnostic done to determine the disposal method of my car. Either repair and sell or sell as spares or repair before I get my next one. I've been looking for cars the past week, nothing is interesting me. So it's a jag again which type I do not know but a jag it will most likely be. Seen a nice x type sovereign 3l petrol auto and also a nice XJ petrol 4.2 but I digress, was one S type but Im not sure about the grill.

There's no prize I'll let you know when I do. Test your grey matter.
Here's what it did.
I was warming it up and after a rev it made a ticking sound like an empty machine gun when it was reving down.
It was sluggish reversing out of my drive and all the following was within 14 miles.
It wasn't as smooth as it usually was, felt a vibration in the steering wheel and the ride wasnt smooth. Noticably, but not excessive. Felt like an old generic car. Fiesta and so on.
Put my foot down and Glow plug light came on and EML. Car stopped.
Tried to start it again. On turning key to position 2 All lights went out except the EML
Car started EML light went out.
Ticked over fine I put the thing in gear ( manual) put some throttle. Flashing glowplug light EML light and stalled.
Started again was same as before with the lights. Ticking noise has gone.
Tried to move it. it did although EML light was on.
I was in a good place to stop so didn't push further. Just in case, next layby is a mile or so away.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Clues? The battery went flat when I picked it up from the last repair. I gathered that was cos it's been there sitting for a month. It went flat again after it broke down last month after sitting with hazzard on listening to the radio, 4 hours that time If I remember right.

Sat in car with hazards and radio on for 3 hours. battery was flat time the AA guy got there. So can we believe the many codes he said was on there for everything including 2 injectors.
Seems the battery flattens fast. just listening to the cds Again if failure it is very sudden.

I'm going for injectors due to the slight lack of power at first and that ticking, but a complete fail that fast?

Playing? If you don't want to don't be nasty no need for nasty comments " you said your getting rid of it why do you care" for example. Just don't play. I'm just bored and miss talking Jag

Reactions: JimC64

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is my first port of call in a few hours when I phone them. I'll just get them to put one on and check the alternator. I did actually suspect that in a small way, after my initial post and with what everyone has said. The battery looks way too small for the car after seeing the size of jag batteries.
Let's hope it's just that and I can use it once a fortnight it while I'm waiting for it to go on its merry way to a new owner. Who will be warned I will add. It's had 3 grand spent on it in 18 months 1k from me in the four out of 5 months it's been on the road. This one needs a real Jag lover. I'm not even going to start on about the headlining being the new one I noticed before it broke again.

@cam yep unreal. Never had a car so bad. This one is a pig for sure. Only other two that caused me hassle like this was my Austin princess that lasted a month before the engine went. That was broken for spares and sent to the crusher. And my 3.0 ford Granada back in 79 (74 plate) I spent a small fortune on that, more than it was actually worth, but I was a kid back then and didn't have restraint like now. Then it caught fire. Never got the money back I spent with the insurance it was pitiful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I rolled 4 ones.

I've seen a couple of stunning X358's going, one was £17k, 4.2Ltr 75k miles, the other two in the £11k to £13k range. No idea if they are taking the proverbial or if that is a fair price range for those cars?
I've seen some right crackers while I've been looking but some are silly prices like you've mentioned. To be honest even though I do like the old shape, and not adverse to the new one. If I was going to spend 17 grand on a car wouldn't be almost 18 years old that's for sure, I'd get a newer shape one. They might have lowish mileage but still are old cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it depends on how far into the future you want to look and what you intend to do with the car doesn't it? The Super V8 will be a true classic one day, the 3 litre diesel won't. Try and get an average 50yr old E-Type for 18k never mind a stunning one. .
Never thought of cars as an investment always as a tool. Thats interesting. I never look that far ahead with them.
Only two things I've speculated on but will not be fruitful in my lifetime are a numbered special edition boxed bottle of whisky and a FAB 1 still in its packing. The only Rolls Royce I'm likely to own.

I saw an F Pace in a car park today and I thought it was a Ford Kuga at first.

If I do change my X, I will be looking at an X358 around a 58/09 plate, as I'm quite happy to own a car of that age.
Agree with the F pace. I see that and actually feel sad, Where's the Jag gone?
I'm looking for a nice X350 right now. Being patient and taking my time with the next one. The red X was a had to buy a car when my old one broke. I jumped in too fast.

Reactions: JimC64

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Do you mean small as in physical size? The battery should pretty much fill the box. I forget who it was now but one of our members on here opened his X-Type's battery box after it started to act up and was astonished to find that the battery was nearly half the size that it should've been - someone had just whacked in a battery out of a hot hatch or something. What was more surprising was that the car had been starting fine with that battery for months until it eventually started to give up the unequal struggle.
Exactly that, Thing looked like it came out of a fiesta. Half the box size. Looked up a jag battery and it's the size ( actually the same one) as in my LT46. Asked the garage to put me the propper jag one on, then do the tests again, yeah I know it's (possibly) wasted few quid but if bic gets going I'll leave it on, If not It goes on my van which I'm also selling and the semi duff one on the van goes on the car spares or repair.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A bit late but here's some X-Type battery info, for future reference... :)

Actually was usefull. I keep my radio code in my wallet, didn't know about resetting the windows.
Yep, dimensionally should be around 315 x 175 x 175mm. Around 75-80 AH and CCA of 750 to 800.
Nope, no where near that size, this is the one that was on there. Wrong battery Odd thing the guy before me who spent 2 grand on the car having it all done at Jag, can't see him skimping on a battery. Think that must have went the same place as the new tyres he had put on.

And no news from the garage yet, mates going into town later I'll get him to see where in the line of shame it is again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Made a call to the garage to see if there's progress with its post mortem for our curiosity. Owned it for 6 months Friday week, and it's now spent 2 days short of 6 weeks in the garage. A call you in 10 minutes is now 6 hours late. So, taking it as not good news. Past caring about it now to be honest. It's a scraper anyway I knew it when the lights came on. But I will post what they said it was, eventually.
Spent the day looking for an old shape XJ sovereign found 2 possible candidates and a S type that's got a practically clean sheet on its MOT records.
I will get another jag. Looking like the wrong side of the new year now though. Won't be an X, once bitten and all that, unless there's a BMW 520 that I can get for buttons or an audi that looks nice.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Said I'll keep things updated for curiosity. Well I phoned then again this morning. Battery been done, no codes showing, "cannot replicate the fault" apparently it won't cut out. It's been out and about doing the rounds in town. Told them to hang on to it for a few days and drive it about some more. If I'm sure it's OK I'll sell it on.
Saw a nice XJ sovereign as I said before in blue but lucky wife likes the colour. Put in for the finance. We'll see what happens. If I get a knockback. I'll end up stuck with the red X so I'm hoping it's properly fixed and was just a battery.
I'll let ya's know when I do. But looking like the battery votes have won the game.

Reactions: JohnW and PetA

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well wasn't just the battery. It broke on them, found out today. Apparently, there's some chafing in the loom. Rage clouds started so things began to merge into bla bla bla and splicing was agreed on. No way am I having the thing rewired, I'm really beginning to dislike that car and feeling decidedly ripped off buying it. Which is really unfortunate as I got a credit knockback, no idea why. Which means I'm stuck with it.
mmm.. so the game continues?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts