Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
Its quiet on here so want to play a diagnostic game? My car is in the garage having a diagnostic done to determine the disposal method of my car. Either repair and sell or sell as spares or repair before I get my next one. I've been looking for cars the past week, nothing is interesting me. So it's a jag again which type I do not know but a jag it will most likely be. Seen a nice x type sovereign 3l petrol auto and also a nice XJ petrol 4.2 but I digress, was one S type but Im not sure about the grill.

There's no prize I'll let you know when I do. Test your grey matter.
Here's what it did.
I was warming it up and after a rev it made a ticking sound like an empty machine gun when it was reving down.
It was sluggish reversing out of my drive and all the following was within 14 miles.
It wasn't as smooth as it usually was, felt a vibration in the steering wheel and the ride wasnt smooth. Noticably, but not excessive. Felt like an old generic car. Fiesta and so on.
Put my foot down and Glow plug light came on and EML. Car stopped.
Tried to start it again. On turning key to position 2 All lights went out except the EML
Car started EML light went out.
Ticked over fine I put the thing in gear ( manual) put some throttle. Flashing glowplug light EML light and stalled.
Started again was same as before with the lights. Ticking noise has gone.
Tried to move it. it did although EML light was on.
I was in a good place to stop so didn't push further. Just in case, next layby is a mile or so away.
View attachment 58232

Clues? The battery went flat when I picked it up from the last repair. I gathered that was cos it's been there sitting for a month. It went flat again after it broke down last month after sitting with hazzard on listening to the radio, 4 hours that time If I remember right.

Sat in car with hazards and radio on for 3 hours. battery was flat time the AA guy got there. So can we believe the many codes he said was on there for everything including 2 injectors.
Seems the battery flattens fast. just listening to the cds Again if failure it is very sudden.

I'm going for injectors due to the slight lack of power at first and that ticking, but a complete fail that fast?

Playing? If you don't want to don't be nasty no need for nasty comments " you said your getting rid of it why do you care" for example. Just don't play. I'm just bored and miss talking Jag
Hope you find the fix and get her sorted for much cheapness LG then decide from there.

Seems like you may stick with the brand after all, maybe an XJ X350 / 358 would be a good call.
Or......There are some high mileage, but very good examples of XJ X351's out there. I know of one for example that will be going shortly, albeit at high mileage, but with a ton of money spent on her and well looked after, for not a lot of money.

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,834 Posts
I'm looking for a nice X350 right now. Being patient and taking my time with the next one. The red X was a had to buy a car when my old one broke. I jumped in too fast.
Should be more than a few X350 / X358 kicking about, hope you find a good one

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts