Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, a complete waste of money but, I've treated my car to an XJR plate today.

Coupled with the extensive paint works being carried out, it should look a treat when I get it back!

· Registered
2,042 Posts
And why not , plenty of XJR plates to choose from .....

XJR 1 - Was £50k and reduced to £37k
XJR 8 - A mere £10k
JA66 XJR - Another £10k plate
BO55 XJR - Bargain at £900 , but no use for an older car sadly

Plenty of good XKR ones too.

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
I know, a complete waste of money but, I've treated my car to an XJR plate today.

Coupled with the extensive paint works being carried out, it should look a treat when I get it back!
Nice one Chris, what'd you get??

C'mon share......

Jim

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one Chris, what'd you get??

C'mon share......

Jim
...my initials and the correct age of the car plus XJR. £399 DVLA special.....

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And why not , plenty of XJR plates to choose from .....

XJR 1 - Was £50k and reduced to £37k
XJR 8 - A mere £10k
JA66 XJR - Another £10k plate
BO55 XJR - Bargain at £900 , but no use for an older car sadly

Plenty of good XKR ones too.
...all far too rich for me!

· Premium Member
17,946 Posts
...my initials and the correct age of the car plus XJR. £399 DVLA special.....
Sounds good SC.....

The only problem I see with that is that its XJR specific so only really cool as long as it's on an XJR.................Comes time to change and it's all a little meaningless

Hopefully you'll be back soon to enjoy the ride?

Best
Jim

· Banned
7,619 Posts
I think it sometimes can be a fine line between adding to a car and detracting from a car with these number plates , the worst are the
Irish Plates , MBZ ,BNZ , I knew a coal man when I was a kid who had MBZ on a brand new S Class every year , a millionaire as well :confused:

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good SC.....

The only problem I see with that is that its XJR specific so only really cool as long as it's on an XJR.................Comes time to change and it's all a little meaningless

Hopefully you'll be back soon to enjoy the ride?

Best
Jim
It's an interesting point! It is totally car specific and I'd NEVER dream about buying something for myself.

Besides, getting "Handsome Fella", "Virgin Converter" & "All Round Good Guy" crammed onto a number plate would be a bit of a challenge ;-)

· Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't think they're a waste of money at all. The right plate can add to a car. I think my XJ54 SOV plate goes quite nicely on my 54 registered XJ Sovereign!

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
It's an interesting point! It is totally car specific and I'd NEVER dream about buying something for myself.

Besides, getting "Handsome Fella", "Virgin Converter" & "All Round Good Guy" crammed onto a number plate would be a bit of a challenge ;-)
We know, if you were made out of chocolate y'd eat yourself too.:mrgreen:

· Registered
1,270 Posts
What I'd really like is to get the registration of one of my Dad's cars that he had in the '30s, a two-letter-four-numeral plate (I even have documentary evidence) but apparently the DVLA won't re-issue old used numbers.

· Registered
2,478 Posts
Owned a few, current ones are N9 AWE and ES60LME, just need a better, newer car to put that one on.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
What I'd really like is to get the registration of one of my Dad's cars that he had in the '30s, a two-letter-four-numeral plate (I even have documentary evidence) but apparently the DVLA won't re-issue old used numbers.
Sadly , afaik you can only retain a number that has been on a registered road legal vehicle within the last 2 years.

· Registered
92 Posts

· Registered
2,042 Posts
It changed a little back in 2015
It was £105 , £80 for the swap / retention and £25 per year to retain.
Now it is £80 for life and all easily done online these days.
I used to trade in these and spent many an hour in Northampton DVLA,
Used to have a friend in there that did it all quite quickly , closed now.

· Banned
7,619 Posts
Thank God for that Eddie , I got arrested in Northampton DVLA when I unwittingly attempted to Tax a Stolen Van ,
which South Yorkshire Police inexplicably reckoned wasn't stolen despite my telling them it was at the point of sale:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.