Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We had a lot of rain yesterday and I noticed water pouring in to the passenger footwell of my 13 plate XF. I will be sorting the leak issue tomorrow but in the meantime I’ve lost the DAB radio, sat nav, front and rear parking sensors and rear camera. Happy days!
Im hoping one of you good gentlemen will tell me that it is all linked to one module that is probably shorted out and not a major ECU fault!
All help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
The usual source of water in the passenger footwell is the scuttle drain being blocked. Usually below the pollen filter.
Unfortunately the ECU is in this area.
if I was you I’d disconnect the battery and have a look for a block right now. Then dry everything out properly before reconnecting power.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
If it’s in the passenger side then that’s where the CJB is. Start your search there but also make sure the drains are clear.

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The usual source of water in the passenger footwell is the scuttle drain being blocked. Usually below the pollen filter.
Unfortunately the ECU is in this area.
If it’s in the passenger side then that’s where the CJB is. Start your search there but also make sure the drains are clear.
The CJB and ECU are NOT in the passenger side.. at least not on a RHD XF... (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers chaps, I’m hedging my bets that I’ve blown the DAB module under the passenger seat so I’ve ordered another one. I’m hoping that the parking sensor and rear camera are linked to it somehow and replacing the module will sort it out. Next job is to try to remove the carpet and dry it out. I had a root around in the hole left by removing the mat retaining hooks and the spongy filler underneath is soaked

·
Registered
929 Posts
PetA is correct. There are electrics under the passenger seat that can be affected though , Dry area thoroughly and check that water has not got to the rear footwell, its easy to overlook . It happened to my Sportbrake a couple of years ago . To dry out carpet I removed the door sill footplate and lifted the carpet . Then laid plenty of newspapers down to soak up the water . Its surprising how much water a newspaper can absorb. Replace papers every day and leave windows open if possible or use a fan heater to finish drying.
As for the cause the drains on the plastic scuttle may look clear but you need to remove this or lift it to get to the drain/cause beneath it , Water should be free to run into a hole into the wing . Dirt and debris build up there and water backs up through the heater inlet . You will also find that the pollen filter will be ruined and need replacing or it will start to smell. Its a poor design really and a slightly higher lip to the heater inlet would prevent this happening.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PetA is correct. There are electrics under the passenger seat that can be affected though , Dry area thoroughly and check that water has not got to the rear footwell, its easy to overlook . It happened to my Sportbrake a couple of years ago . To dry out carpet I removed the door sill footplate and lifted the carpet . Then laid plenty of newspapers down to soak up the water . Its surprising how much water a newspaper can absorb. Replace papers every day and leave windows open if possible or use a fan heater to finish drying.
As for the cause the drains on the plastic scuttle may look clear but you need to remove this or lift it to get to the drain/cause beneath it , Water should be free to run into a hole into the wing . Dirt and debris build up there and water backs up through the heater inlet . You will also find that the pollen filter will be ruined and need replacing or it will start to smell. Its a poor design really and a slightly higher lip to the heater inlet would prevent this happening.
Phil, you’re a gentleman! Thank you- I’ve ordered a new pollen filter and will have a bash at lifting the carpet. They really are the gift that keeps on giving!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Its what the forum is for . Don't forget to fix the problem before fixing the flood .
Hope it all dries out OK.

Reactions: PetA and NM_OLDER

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just to clarify, the ECU sits above the pollen filter on the n/s. The CJB is in the o/s footwell.
And just to clarify for our Murican (and Oz!) friends, in Blighty n/s = near side or the left hand side (seeing as they drive on the left in Blighty) and o/s = off side or right hand side. Even though we also drive on the left in Oz it took me years to figure this out, and we don't use these terms at all in Oz. I could never work out if "near" meant nearest to the driver (ie right hand side) or nearest to the side of the road ie left hand side but I eventually twigged.

Reactions: Phil F

·
Registered
929 Posts
Update - started the car this morning and all the electrics working again. Never ceases to amaze me. Now I just need to cancel the order for new module!!
Your in luck . Often condensation will mess about with elecronics when it settles on PCB's. Provided its not contaminated ,left for too long and no power is left switched on then all returns to normal once its died out. Have had this with model radio gear after its had a dunking . If its salt water its game over but fresh water is usually fine after a rinse with some distilled water and a proper drying out.
Did you find the build up of dirt and debit behind the plastic scuttle cover ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your in luck . Often condensation will mess about with elecronics when it settles on PCB's. Provided its not contaminated ,left for too long and no power is left switched on then all returns to normal once its died out. Have had this with model radio gear after its had a dunking . If its salt water its game over but fresh water is usually fine after a rinse with some distilled water and a proper drying out.
Did you find the build up of dirt and debit behind the plastic scuttle cover ?
I didn’t get a chance yet Phil. I have parked the car and gone to work but have put a bucket in the passenger footwell!! I should take a photo and put it on the Jaguar Twitter page!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I checked the area around the scuttle plate and sure enough the channel was completely blocked with gunge. I removed it and tested it with some water and was happy to see it flow out under the car. I will be taking off the wheel arch cover to make sure I have got it all out but it looks promising. Thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Excellent news and thanks for the update.(y)

Reactions: PetA

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thank you. I actually have one running in the car at the moment. It’s pulling quite a bit of water out!
Don't forget to lift the carpets front and rear on that side of the car .👍

1 - 20 of 31 Posts