Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an email in my inbox this morning which I not only find offensive, but is also a gross invasion of my privacy.
Because of the content, it can ONLY have originated from someone on this forum.
They may think it's funny.
I don't.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
It's not me David.

By the way please don't leave on my account, I won't bother you again, it's not my style to, I hoped we could find some common ground, and several other people here appreciate the time you take to put your case too.

I'm sorry you got such an email, if it's from here I am very disappointed because it's back handed and cowardly.

·
Premium Member
23,823 Posts
Does the email tell you who it’s from? Agree with Rowley, take up Ian’s offer and deal with it straight away.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Begs the question as to how a personal email address has been obtained....

We all have opinions,and it would be a strange forum if we all held the same opinion.However,we do seem to have a few members who desire to force their opinion down everybody else's throat.I just switch to Pistonheads rather than fall out with those types!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Do what I do David.

If you do not know who the email is from or you are not expecting one, simply delete it without opening it.

I agree that this sort of behaviour is totally unacceptable.

Tony

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Begs the question as to how a personal email address has been obtained....
Some members have there Email set up on the forum you cant see the address but you can click on "send Email"
just click on your own username on your posts and you will see it
I have no idea if this is what was done as I have never used this function my self

I hope Ian can find who it was and remove them from the forum as this is a very low thing to do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the e-mail highlighted, right click and choose Properites, click on Details (at the top) and select Message Source. There's a lot of info there but it might show something significant.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I agree, bad for a member to send an E.mail like that. Let Ian have a go at finding the culprit.

Roger

·
Premium Member
23,823 Posts
I agree, bad for a member to send an E.mail like that. Let Ian have a go at finding the culprit.

Roger
And then name and shame.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's how to find the source of an e-mail. This website will trace the source and let you know the country, town or city, IP address and even longitude and latitude - it even shows a map.

Just copy and paste the e-mail's header into the Trace Email Analyzer and page down to the results. The header is the Message Source as I explained earlier (see post #9) - the website below even gives an example if you're unsure as it depends on which e-mail provider you use.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
I have an email in my inbox this morning which I not only find offensive, but is also a gross invasion of my privacy.
Because of the content, it can ONLY have originated from someone on this forum.
They may think it's funny.
I don't.
David, sorry to hear....

I don't know exactly what I'm sorry to hear other than someone sent you an email? Personally, I'm curious as to exactly what is so offensive?
Some people get very offended very easily compared to others, and also the invasion of privacy?

The reason I'm curious is that you're very, very guarded and supply little to no actual info as to what was said in this email.
How do you KNOW that it MUST have been someone from this forum?

It's very possible and indeed highly likely tat it could be from a member of another forum who knows you to some degree, possibly from here?

Anyway, perhaps if you supply further info it may shed some light on the issue. I could be wrong but could probably hazard a guess at where it may have came from.

Either way, sorry to hear that "we're" upset and hope we get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible

Best
Jim

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Lower than a snakes belly. And whoever it is, my remarks are directed at YOU.

A real man just doesn't do things like anonymous emails, if you've anything to say you say it upfront, and put your name on it.

Regards, Brian Howram (Victor)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
David, sorry to hear....

I don't know exactly what I'm sorry to hear other than someone sent you an email? Personally, I'm curious as to exactly what is so offensive?
Some people get very offended very easily compared to others, and also the invasion of privacy?

The reason I'm curious is that you're very, very guarded and supply little to no actual info as to what was said in this email.
How do you KNOW that it MUST have been someone from this forum?

It's very possible and indeed highly likely tat it could be from a member of another forum who knows you to some degree, possibly from here?

Anyway, perhaps if you supply further info it may shed some light on the issue. I could be wrong but could probably hazard a guess at where it may have came from.

Either way, sorry to hear that "we're" upset and hope we get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible

Best
Jim
Let's not make it the judgement of the OP that's in question here rather it remain the undesirable action of the third party.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Lower than a snakes belly. And whoever it is, my remarks are directed at YOU.

A real man just doesn't do things like anonymous emails, if you've anything to say you say it upfront, and put your name on it.

Regards, Brian Howram (Victor)
I would have a small amount of respect if the member came forward and apologised

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK.

I know enough about technology to know that something fairly sophisticated has happened here ..........................

Yesterday, I received an email, sent to my personal email address, containing my nearly correct home address and my correct landline telephone number.
the email was from 'gaymarriagemagazine.com' (which does not exist, it confirmed my order with various reference numbers, and linked to another site with a .zip attachment which I did not open for obvious reasons.

The ONLY site where I have ever expressed any views on gay marriage - right or wrong - is here.

I don't think it is therefore unreasonable to suspect that this is where it originated.

About 30 minutes later, just after I had posted the first message, I could no longer access this site.
I traced the email sender to a bulk email operation in Canada, and the source IP address was "unassigned".

For over 24 hours, I couldn't access this site.
However, I can now do so but ONLY because I have changed my IP address.
It will be interesting to see how long I continue to have access now.

Seems to me that someone with fairly sophisticated computer skills and knowledge wants to shut me up.

I don't for one moment think it is someone with whom I have not always agreed 100% "publicly" on here - we may not always agree, but we have the courtesy to disagree where our opinions can be seen and shared. I think it is more likely to be someone who is, for most if not all of the time, totally anonymous.

Tracks have been well disguised and covered, so I don't think there's any point in losing sleep over any further attempt at identification.

However, I won't be much in evidence here from now on - I don't like the feeling that "I'm being watched"

·
Premium Member
23,823 Posts
There has been a spate of this type of thing David, also on the other site you frequent. In all cases it was traced to an IP in Canada or the States.
Hopefully it can be resolved quickly and you can get back to posting.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There has been a spate of this type of thing David, also on the other site you frequent. In all cases it was traced to an IP in Canada or the States.
Hopefully it can be resolved quickly and you can get back to posting.
Sounds like someone is using the OPERA browser. It offers VPNs in Canada, America, Holland and Singapore.

Doesn't have to be sophisticated, just a sick mind using commonly available methods.

As I said, if you do not know the sender or did not ask for something, delete it without even opening it. Then even if they have some info on your location, you will be blissfully unaware.

Problem solved.

Personally, I have loads of emails junked without ever looking at them. Who knows what is I them and who cares? I don't.

TOny

·
Registered
2.0D XF R Sport. 2018 240BHP Lots of toys and loving the ride
388 Posts
Why not remove this option, whatever the option was that this person was allowed to send someone a email to their personal email address.

If someone has something to say them make sure it is traceable then the coward might think twice of writing something he knows he can get away with

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.