Webasto heater

Mack1955

Reaction score
Hi guys, smoke from near side front when starting from cold had loads this morning quite embarrassing really, have been told to disable webasto by removing relevant fuse is this ok to do or can it harm engine

yorkie

Reaction score
Hi guys, smoke from near side front when starting from cold had loads this morning quite embarrassing really, have been told to disable webasto by removing relevant fuse is this ok to do or can it harm engine
Smoke from the Webasto is normal particularly at the first cold snap. It only works if aircon is on and temp is 5 deg or below. It is there to provide heat in the cabin much quicker than would be the case if waiting for the engine to warm up. All diesels are renown for taking an age to get warmed up. If this is your first winter with the car I would try letting it do its thing before removing fuses as the smoke tends to reduce after a little use and the benefits are well worthwhile. As mentioned if you particularly want to avoid the smoke, wait until you are on the road before turning the aircon on.

Mack1955

Reaction score
Smoke from the Webasto is normal particularly at the first cold snap. It only works if aircon is on and temp is 5 deg or below. It is there to provide heat in the cabin much quicker than would be the case if waiting for the engine to warm up. All diesels are renown for taking an age to get warmed up. If this is your first winter with the car I would try letting it do its thing before removing fuses as the smoke tends to reduce after a little use and the benefits are well worthwhile. As mentioned if you particularly want to avoid the smoke, wait until you are on the road before turning the aircon on.
Thanks for the reply I’ll take your advice see how I get on this winter 👍

Robmitch

Reaction score
I noticed this last winter, But also had the Cabin fill with smoke and I mean a lot of it. was coming from Passager side footwell and think also vents at the time I was panicking thinking I had an engine fire or fire behind the dash. didn't know anything about Webasto heater and then thinking it was to do with the Flexi joint on the exhaust as I get a smell of fumes in summer ( No Smoke) in the cabin on left had to side when I start the engine.
Aircon was on and think as soon as I put the fan on full speed, is when it filled the cabin. really not sure how so much smoke could enter the cabin.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge, never too old to learn more things.

Robmitch

Reaction score
Update: My local Garage recommended disconnecting the Webasto heater after their inspection of it. which they have now done.

Last edited:

Victor

Reaction score
My advice ?? Tell your garage to put fuse #F3 (under bonnet fuse box) back in. The smoke (short period of time) is the Webasto firing up and after it's fired...........they are brilliant and essential for the well-being of the driver AND the engine. You say your garage have inspected it.........what's wrong with it, the Webasto either works or it doesn't, there's nothing much to go wrong.
JLR diesel engines (2.7) are notoriously slow to warm up in the winter months.
Mine smokes a bit on first firing of the winter, after that there's VERY little smoke,
It's normal (it's in the handbook) and you're doing more damage to the engine with the fuse pulled.
Re connect it and enjoy the benefits.

Robmitch

Reaction score
Smoke outside is not a problem... The cabin completely fills with smoke this time of year, happened last year as well. undrivable until clear of smoke and fumes. they also said it was making a noise. Not that I've heard it. what damage is it likely to cause to the engine?

Victor

Reaction score
Smoke outside is not a problem... The cabin completely fills with smoke this time of year, happened last year as well. undrivable until clear of smoke and fumes. they also said it was making a noise. Not that I've heard it. what damage is it likely to cause to the engine?
It won't damage the engine as such but we all know wear happens with a cold engine, the Webasto helps (massively) getting the engine up to the correct temperature.
Actual smoke in the passenger compartment shouldn't happen, maybe the little flexi exhaust pipe is damaged (cheap enough,, dealer will know the diameter). If my car is not moving and the Webasto kicks in, I can see the smoke and smell it............move off and all is well.
As for SLIGHT noise............they do make a noise, mine does, it's the burner heating things up. I can stand at F/N/S and hear mine working.(think your gas central heating boiler at home, it makes a noise when the burner is lit
It's your motor but I wouldn't be without my little Webasto in cold weather.

Robmitch

Reaction score
See what you mean, that little flexi exhaust pipe could well be split, some on ebay for sale that are split. smoke fills engine bay then into cabin, as i said no problem rest of year, just when its really cold.