Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello Alucan,

then ther is the confusion of overhead inlet, side exhaust. Was It Riley made some engines that way or possibly Rover?

Alec

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Hello Alucan,

then ther is the confusion of overhead inlet, side exhaust. Was It Riley made some engines that way or possibly Rover?

Alec
Rover definitely made 'I over E' (inlet over exhaust) engines, the old series 1 Land Rover I had years ago had one, I believe it was also used in the P3 to P5 models? :)

· Registered
414 Posts
Motorcycles now consist of a small collection of 6 Nortons, a 1958 Model 99 600cc Dominator, a 1956 Model 19S 600cc single with Watsonian side car, 1973 and 1974 Commandos, both 850's, a Roadster and an Interstate, a 1962 350 Navigator and 1964 400cc Electra. I did move on a Triumph Tiger and a couple of RD Yamaha's last year as a start to trying to reduce the collection, but that just resulted in the purchase of the XK8 :rolleyes:.
I am impressed that you can keep them.

In my case, if it cannot be used regularly it has to go. I am down to a 2006 Aprilia Caponord ETV and a 1997 Moto Guzzi California 1100i. One of those will have to go sometime soon (or both in order to get a better "one bike to rule them all").

Previous regretted disposals include Velocette MAC 350, Ariel Huntmaster FH (2 of them in fact), BSA A65 Spitfire, 500cc BSA Gold Star, BMW K100RT, Honda Gold Wing GL1100, Moto Guzzi California Stone Touring 1100. Plus other trials bikes and "hacks" e.g. MZ.

· Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,701 Posts
Motorcycles now consist of a small collection of 6 Nortons, a 1958 Model 99 600cc Dominator, a 1956 Model 19S 600cc single with Watsonian side car, 1973 and 1974 Commandos, both 850's,

My introduction to motorcycles was via a ride on the back of a Norton Commando 750 (I think was 1969 IIRC). It belonged to my pal's uncle and he took me a couple of miles up the road to a chip shop and back. The noise and acceleration frightened the life out of me on the way there (I was12 years old). No helmet and just a denim jacket and no grab rail. I got the chips and then had to hold on to them on the way back while gripping his uncle's leather jacket for dear life. I was still shaking ten minutes after getting off much to everyone's amusement. I've never forgotten it :)

Reactions: orsom weels

· Registered
1,289 Posts
I am impressed that you can keep them.

Previous regretted disposals include Velocette MAC 350,
As said, I find it difficult to bring myself to part with any. My head see's the sense, but the old heart overrules it :ROFLMAO:.
One that I did manage to part with was a Velocette Venom, excellent engineering, and a lovely bike, but I never felt quite at home on it. Always preferred the Dominator, so the Venom hardly ever got used.

My introduction to motorcycles was via a ride on the back of a Norton Commando 750 (I think was 1969 IIRC). It belonged to my pal's uncle and he took me a couple of miles up the road to a chip shop and back. The noise and acceleration frightened the life out of me on the way there (I was12 years old). No helmet and just a denim jacket and no grab rail. I got the chips and then had to hold on to them on the way back while gripping his uncle's leather jacket for dear life. I was still shaking ten minutes after getting off much to everyone's amusement. I've never forgotten it :)
Growing up on a small farm, I was tearing about in the fields on anything that someone else had thrown away, but once 'on the road', I started with a Yamaha FS1E, or 'Fizzy' moped, progressed to an RD250, then straight on to a friends 750 Commando. What a machine for a 17 year old to be let loose with. My love for the marque was firmly established right there and then, and has never really waned. It has lead to some most treasured moments, riding all over the country, and a good part of Europe, meeting and making new friends. (Much like the Jaguar community) Only last Sunday, I and Mrs O were invited to an exclusive lunch and tour at the brand new Norton factory in Solihull to hear and see what the new owners have planned. I don't think they'll be rivalling Triumphs rise from the ashes, but all very positive, and great to see that they finally have management with some vision for the future. Hopefully the 'Norton' name will be around for a good while yet.

• Love
Reactions: NM_OLDER

· Registered
1,587 Posts
So I guess I've got a classic then based on what I'm reading here. Maybe...

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire

What say you?

Although based on the 15 year guidance with list price of over £15k, I guess Horus qualifies too!

TMW

· Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I can't help but think we've been visiting this subject a lot recently! :)

But nonetheless, here goes with mine, in age order:
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

· Registered
1,289 Posts
I can't help but think we've been visiting this subject a lot recently! :)

But nonetheless, here goes with mine, in age order:
Love the Morris 8 (y). I still have a vintage itch that will someday have to be scratched, and they're high on the list.

And wasn't that just the best colour for the GT6? I had a Spitfire in that colour many years back, another of those I wish I still had.

Is that Gaydon British motor museum in the back drop?

Reactions: ducmon

· Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Love the Morris 8 (y). I still have a vintage itch that will someday have to be scratched, and they're high on the list.

And wasn't that just the best colour for the GT6? I had a Spitfire in that colour many years back, another of those I wish I still had.

Is that Gaydon British motor museum in the back drop?
Thanks chap! It's a good time to pick one up (a vintage), they are bargain money at the moment as nobody wants them anymore. Old cars are a very generational thing and those that bought one 'cos their dad had one when they were a kid' are all falling off their perches. Sad, but true.

Ha ha, yes, Magenta. Mine was that colour from the factory so when I restored it, it was always staying that colour.

It is indeed Gaydon, makes a nice backdrop for a car piccie! :)

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello RWD3M,

funnily I have been thinking of a vintage car to work on once I finish my Jaguar.
However my cursory looks at vintgae cars for sale , even the very mundane are not cheap? Where or what have you seen for sale?

Alec

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reactions: PetA and NM_OLDER

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello Ducmon,

thanks for that, but they are not 'Vintage' by the definition I gave earlier, I.e. pre 1931.

Alec

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi Piman,

I did not say that they are vintage. I was just trying to show that if you go to the owner clubs that you can find some good value cars out there.

There are a lot of early Rolls Royce's out there.

Reactions: S-Type Owner

· Premium Member
2007 X350 Sovereign 2.7 diesel
6,701 Posts

· Registered
1,289 Posts
Hello RWD3M,

funnily I have been thinking of a vintage car to work on once I finish my Jaguar.
However my cursory looks at vintgae cars for sale , even the very mundane are not cheap? Where or what have you seen for sale?

Alec
I suppose it depends a bit on how we define 'cheap' or 'bargain', but I didn't think any of these were over the top for what they are, depending if you want something you can use straight away, and then improve as you go, or a full restoration project.

And if I'd had somewhere to put it, I may have gone for this myself,

But I do know what you mean, I keep hearing the market for vintage stuff is drying up, but there are still a lot of others that are advertised at much higher prices, and I suspect these are cars that the vendors are speculating/testing the market, and are not in a hurry to move on.

· Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Hello RWD3M,

Alec
Hi Alec,

Depending on how you define 'Vintage' (which if you peruse the bay of evil, it means anything old, rusty and worthless!), you could easily pick up a very useable mid-1930's Morris 8 for between £5 - 10k. There are always cars for sale through the Morris Register and I'm sure other marques will have similar forums etc.

If you are looking for something to restore, these still come up regularly, at £1k - £1500.

Obviously, it depends on what you are looking for, don't expect to get a vintage Roller for that kind of money, but even they have come down dramatically in price over the last 20 or 30 years.

Good luck finding something suitable.

Richard.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello Richard,

my definition of vintage is what the vscc clasify as vintage, as in an earlier post of mine, i.e. 1913 to 1931.
I don't have anything particular in mind but would prefer something a bit more interesting than a Morris 8 type of car.
I intend joining the vscc when I start looking seriously but cursory E Bay viewing it seemed all that were offered were higher than I expected. That said, very few in need of restoration.

Alec

· Registered
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Reactions: S-Type Owner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts