Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual I am stuck for a Christmas gift for myself. I don't want another car.

So come on guys, what can I treat myself to?

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
How about a descent Horse or a day at the races :-D

Roger

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Haha, what a memory I have:-D

How about a auto boot opener then:-?
Only joking of course.

Roger

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yer two front teef.

·
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy to say I have all my own teeth still (touch wood, or should that be enamel?) In the video below I can see how she lost her two front teeth.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
As usual I am stuck for a Christmas gift for myself. I don't want another car.

So come on guys, what can I treat myself to?
A nice new home sound system with SD, USB, MP3 would be my favourite, probably Bose.

One that can plug in the huge Smart TV for Netflix etc.

And reclining armchairs for watching TV with the new sound system.

Add whichever of these you don't have already Frank.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Cocaine and hookers?

:-D

·
Registered
810 Posts
A nice new home sound system with SD, USB, MP3 would be my favourite, probably Bose.

Im convinced you could do better than Bose Speakers. They do brilliant sound cancelling headphones (im on my 2nd pair), but for speaker, nah.
DALI, KEF. Rega do some pretty good stuff.
If you are feeling flush, take a look at Naim, perhaps with KEF or DALI speakers.

I listened to a system the other day that in total cost not much shy of a brand new Jag. It sounded like I was actually at a live concert. The sound source? An LP player of all things!!!

·
Registered
S Type 3.0 SE X206 Radiance Red
5,625 Posts
You have mentioned in a couple of posts that your into photography.... :mrgreen:

how's about a new DSLR or somefink?? :)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Frank, with the greatest respect if you need to ask a forum then there's no material item you really need or would get much long term satisfaction from.

If it were me, forget material possessions for Christmas and spend the money doing something with some nearest and dearest that is an experience for all of you and something you'll remember, something a bit different. We all buy stuff and enjoy it when it's new, few years time it's in the cupboard or in the bin. However something you experience as a group, stays with all of you for ever - make the most of those opportunities. There's no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of others.

·
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Got myself a nice large 4K Samsung Smart TV the other week. Did a lot of research. Listening to those that know about this sort of thing. What-Hifi, Which etc. It also has a voice remote where you can search the internet, Youtube etc.
Also got a Q Base sound bar. Excellent. Great for films and music. Has Bluetooth etc too.
Had my leather sofa for a few years now its ever so comfy.

·
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have mentioned in a couple of posts that your into photography.... :mrgreen:

how's about a new DSLR or somefink?? :)
I have around 3 cameras. All ideal for different jobs. I also have a 4K Phantom 4 plus for the aerial shots.

·
Registered
810 Posts
something with some nearest and dearest
an experience for all of you
something you'll remember
something a bit different
something you experience as a group, stays with all of you for ever
no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of others.
Isn't do**ing illegal?:-D:twisted:

·
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frank, with the greatest respect if you need to ask a forum then there's no material item you really need or would get much long term satisfaction from.

If it were me, forget material possessions for Christmas and spend the money doing something with some nearest and dearest that is an experience for all of you and something you'll remember, something a bit different. We all buy stuff and enjoy it when it's new, few years time it's in the cupboard or in the bin. However something you experience as a group, stays with all of you for ever - make the most of those opportunities. There's no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of others.
I agree 100%. I often give stuff to people who are worse off than me. But I like to do it discreetly as I don't want to hurt anyone's pride etc. I know an old guy who was burgled had the place smashed up, money stolen etc. Arranged for his place to be cleaned, he thought the police had arranged it. He also found a few hundred quid in an envelope through his door in an envelope for his birthday, from a "friend". It is better they dont know who did it as long as they know someone out there cares. I also work for a homeless charity and a hospice shop.

Don't get the wrong impression I am not rich. Just got the the stage in life where I really do not need much myself. Can't go on holidays, dont ask :). Every Christmas I am asked what do you want for Christmas, birthday etc and I cannot honestly think of anything I want.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Don't get the wrong impression I am not rich. Just got the the stage in life where I really do not need much myself.
That's a great stage to be in. Everyone likes nice things, a reward for all you put in to work if you like, but as you get older not only have you fulfilled a lot of this material possessions already, more importantly you appreciate it's not what you have around you but who you have around you.

Doing something with those people (even is if it is doging - seriously JungleJames, your a close family! :shock: ) is for me, now what makes me happy, more so than the latest tablet or what ever. For years the good lady and I did present bluff, 'i've not got you much' when in reality you spend a small fortune on stuff neither of you need but you don't want to feel like a **** who's not brought enough. It culminated one year in an exchange of very expensive watches and whilst I do love the watch still, it was stupid.

So now we have a £50 limit for each other and it has to be thoughtful rather than expensive. With the money we would have spent we now do something with the family either on or around Christmas that we wouldn't have previously done.

What you did for the old guy is very admirable, doing something that you know will make a difference to someone is in many ways a privilege that is best done discreetly. It's not always about a financial gesture either, the most precious gift you can give anyone is your time. It's ever decreasing for all of us and no one, no matter how rich, can buy any more time than the time they have left - so to give it to others to help or be there for them is a great thing to do.

As you seem thoroughly decent and already do many good things i'll go +1 on the cocaine and hookers suggestion then :mrgreen:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I rather fancy one of those virtual reality mask thingies. A comfy chair/sofa, headphones on and the mask clamped to my head. Brilliant - I think. I don't know enough about them to put my fancy into words when asked what I'd like but I imagine they can take you into a pure fantasy world.
If I'm wrong please don't tell me. I need some unshattered dreams left.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The "first world problem" thread��

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
So Frank you already bought your own prezzies.

Remember your disappointment last year with your cheapskate "pal" who isn't?

Buy him (and the rest like him) a bag of sweets this year.

Book that family break secretly and make some memories with photos and videos and fun, the years roll by and we may end up unable to make more.

Please do that.

Sensible and better?

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I think I'm going to splash out of a set of Ktech shock absorber upgrades for my work bike. About a grands worth... The as built shocks are known for being budget and stuffed pretty much by 20,000 miles, so the timing is right. Might have a look at getting the paint work refreshed on my XJ6 as well. She did us proud yesterday, smooth, comfy, quick when I needed it, bags of room... With the stone chips and the odd bits of corrosion dealt with under the rear brightwork, she'd be good as new. Well. 160,000 miles with new makeup I guess.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.