Jaguar Forum banner

What is it ?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rick_shape 
#1 ·
Just curious what the torpedo shaped device is in the picture.

3.0 petrol engine - as you stand in front of the car looking into the engine its on the left hand side

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I think its something to do with the cruise control.

I THINK!!

Could be wrong. :-D
I didn't have one on my other S-Type's so quite strange .....

Maybe it is a torpedo and I have a hidden launch button somewhere :-D

#5 ·
Update:

Had to go to main dealer today so asked what it was - bear in mind I was talking to the parts guys .... he thinks its something to do with emissions. Said he had never sold a replacement which I guess is good news.

#6 ·
Clearly it's a WW2 German unexploded bomb. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR, NOT AN EXCESSIVE DISTANCE ANYWAY! I would be happy, as a service to a fellow forum member, to dispose of the vehicle safely for you for a small fee to compensate for extreme risk to life and limb. Fortunately I am in Kent which is not an excessive distance away. While you're here we can also discuss a picturesque historical bridge in London I have available for sale for the right price...

#9 ·
I am overwhelmed by your kindness but couldn't possibly put you in such danger - how would I ever sleep again :-D

#7 ·
I would have said part of the emissions evap/carbon canister system but it looks like an afterthought and "evap" has been around since the early 90s and the s-type has this elsewhere.

TT

#8 ·
There's one on the supercharged engine, I was looking at it yesterday AND it seems as though the little small diameter pipe on the end is a vacuum pipe..

#11 ·
I found this over on the US sister forum that gives a little bit of info about it being the SAIR system that adds air into the exhaust manifold
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/...-15/lean-both-banks-i-am-about-give-up-91415/

Thanks for the link ....

I am guessing this is pointing me in the right direction.

With that in mind I found this on the internet - not specific to Jaguar's but more cars in general.

As emission control strategies grew more sophisticated and effective, the amount of unburned and partially burned fuel in the exhaust stream shrank, and particularly when the catalytic converter was introduced, the function of secondary air injection shifted. Rather than being a primary emission control device, the secondary air injection system was adapted to support the efficient function of the catalytic converter. The original air injection point became known as the upstream injection point. When the catalytic converter is cold, air injected at the upstream point burns with the deliberately rich exhaust so as to bring the catalyst up to operating temperature quickly. Once the catalyst is warm, air is injected to the downstream location - the catalytic converter itself - to assist with catalysis of unburned hydrocarbons.

#12 ·
Air vacuum reservoir.

There is an air pump located behind the front nearside wheel arch liner that blows air directly into both exhaust manifolds for 65 seconds after start up. This helps the Cat heat up quickly as stated above.
The reservoir holds a constant vacuum which the Air switching valve, (controlled by the ECU) allows this vacuum to open the air control valve allowing air pumped by the air pump to enter the exhaust manifolds. Simples!

I found this out whilst seeking why my Cat kept throwing codes.

#15 ·
Thanks for that 04str, saved me from going out in the cold to the carpark at work to double check as I was pretty sure mine didn't have one either.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.