Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wheels on my XJ were in a pretty sorry state when i got it. They'd had a paint blow over in the past, but were badly corroded in many places and generally very tatty. One tyre was also losing air. Luckily, when i bought the car it came with an aftermarket set of rims too. I put these on and sent the originals off for refurb.
I looked at several places, and got a few quotes. In the end i went with Phoenix Alloys in Bristol.

Here are some shots of the wheels when i put them in the van. The pictures don't do them justice. They were proper manky! :???:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The wheels were acid dipped and aqua blasted. A crack was found and welded (hence the slow puncture). Then they were fully powder coated before the OE sparkle silver (or whatever they call it now) was applied, then a coat of lacquer. Tyres refitted and a full balance. I'm very happy with the results. They look like new! There are a couple of very minor dimples if you look hard, but considering how bad they were, i'm very pleased!
I also bought some new red center caps to finish them off :-D

Price, all in, was £342, plus £7.99 for some new center caps.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Hi ya,
How bad was the crack? I have just had new tyres fitted to the rear and the fitter found a crack in the wheel all wheels could do with a referb, should I go the same route as you?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi ya,
How bad was the crack? I have just had new tyres fitted to the rear and the fitter found a crack in the wheel all wheels could do with a referb, should I go the same route as you?
Please don't weld cracks in alloy wheels for road use. Google will direct you to long explanations of the metallurgical reasons.

Yes - I'm sure someone will come along and say it's fine, I know some-one who does it, I've done it many times yackity yackity. I know of NO insurance company that will give product liability cover for alloy wheel welding for on road use. Ask your preferred 'wheel welder' for sight of his product liability insurance cover and specific inclusion of alloy wheel repairs.

I replaced 2 rims with NOS ones as a pothole cracked one badly enough to loose pressure and the other a hair line crack at the outer rim.

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
A nuclear submarine hull is welded
Which is steel, has to withstand higher pressures than a road wheel and is welded by higher skilled welders.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wheels look lovely and for the price which included that welding is not that bad.

If you’re worried about the welded wheel why not keep it as a spare in your garage and get another one done for the car.
Difficuly here would be identifying what was the welded one.

I had one which was welded and ran it on the car (rear wheel) for two years prior to me getting a spare set (5 wheels)powder coated in sparkle silver earlier this summer.
When the car was written off I removed three of the powder coated wheels and re fitted the originals including that welded one. The fourth wheel was destroyed in the accident.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please don't weld cracks in alloy wheels for road use. Google will direct you to long explanations of the metallurgical reasons.

Yes - I'm sure someone will come along and say it's fine, I know some-one who does it, I've done it many times yackity yackity. I know of NO insurance company that will give product liability cover for alloy wheel welding for on road use. Ask your preferred 'wheel welder' for sight of his product liability insurance cover and specific inclusion of alloy wheel repairs.

I replaced 2 rims with NOS ones as a pothole cracked one badly enough to loose pressure and the other a hair line crack at the outer rim.
It has been some years from this article but welding wheels is a standard practice in racing with basically no issues with leakage or premature fatigue as long as it is done properly like tig welding. So I do not agree with the article response here i raced Formula cars and some sedans over several years with many suspension pieces welded and wheels the stress and demand is much more severe on a racing wheel and or suspension even with less weight.

·
Premium Member
23,737 Posts
demand is much more severe on a racing wheel and or suspension even with less weight.
Perhaps into corners but a race track does not have potholes or speed bumps now does it.

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
The wheels were acid dipped and aqua blasted. A crack was found and welded (hence the slow puncture). Then they were fully powder coated before the OE sparkle silver (or whatever they call it now) was applied, then a coat of lacquer. Tyres refitted and a full balance. I'm very happy with the results. They look like new! There are a couple of very minor dimples if you look hard, but considering how bad they were, i'm very pleased!
I also bought some new red center caps to finish them off :-D

Price, all in, was £342, plus £7.99 for some new center caps.

Much better Octane, a big improvement for sure and the price wasn't that bad either

The centre caps at £7.99 though, is a false economy, they'll fade and bleed in a very short time. See how you go, but probably best to spend the £40 or so and get a new original set.

Hi ya,
I wouldn't if I was you Louis, consider getting it changed. I discovered some time into my X358 that I had a cracked wheel on one of the Callisto's.
From that point on, couldn't wait to change them, and did.

My thoughts too, scary thought of them giving way at serious speed...
Looks fine to me, I prefer the sparkle silver although I have just had my winter set done in an anthracite shade, just to add variety. I was charged £300 for 20" rims, which sounds about right.
Absolutely, there or thereabouts for sure

Jim

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Much better Octane, a big improvement for sure and the price wasn't that bad either

The centre caps at £7.99 though, is a false economy, they'll fade and bleed in a very short time. See how you go, but probably best to spend the £40 or so and get a new original set.

I wouldn't if I was you Louis, consider getting it changed. I discovered some time into my X358 that I had a cracked wheel on one of the Callisto's.

Jim
Think Louis may have made a decision by now...... that was in 2017 lol

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
Think Louis may have made a decision by now...... that was in 2017 lol
Possible lol

Don't think he's the type to rush in though, so you never know

Jim

·
Premium Member
952 Posts

My thoughts too, scary thought of them giving way at serious speed...

Absolutely, there or thereabouts for sure

Jim
This is a bit weird as the message that seems to have come from me re cracked wheel and new tyres I did not put it on very strange,anyone come up with an explanation for this?
If I did ever have a cracked wheel it would be replaced
Louis

·
Premium Member
17,795 Posts
This is a bit weird as the message that seems to have come from me re cracked wheel and new tyres I did not put it on very strange,anyone come up with an explanation for this?
If I did ever have a cracked wheel it would be replaced
Louis
That's strange Louis, somebody's hacked your account lol

Jim

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have logged out and logged back in again see what happens.with the messages
My good lady is saying is saying its a lovely day lets get out in the garden I am thinking its a lovely day what can I do on my car today maybe go for a 50/50 split

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.