Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I bought a set of 18x8" BBS Melbourne wheels for my car, replacing the original 16x7" alloys. I always felt that these were heavy but put some of it down to me getting older and weaker!

I put them on the scales at the weekend as I had them off anyway and still have the old set:

18x8" BBS Melbourne wheel plus 245 40 R18 Goodyear F1A - 24 kg
16x7" Jaguar Classic wheel plus 225 55 R16 Goodyear F1 - 18.4 kg

The difference in weight was more than I expected.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That ties up with the weights I found when I shipped my old 18" BBS Monacos out. About 24kg a wheel inc tyre. The 16" ones I replaced them with came in around 16kg. The question is it worth it? The 18"s look a lot better on the S (16 just looks a bit small) but it is a significant weight gain in the worst place for it - unsprung and rotating. I'm looking to go back to 18" soon as I want bigger brakes (STR) and the ones I've got completely fill the 16" wheels, but I don't really want the weight penalty...

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the 18" wheels look great, but as you say, the extra weight is exactly where you don't want it. The car seems to perform about the same on either set of wheels (except for fuel consumption - the F1As are worse), but that is a very subjective statement I know :)

Re: brakes, that is why I had the wheels off in the first place. The "redstuff" are wearing slowly and performing well, but they are wearing the rear carriers rather fast. Need to take the fronts off next and check those before reporting back to EBC. Never seen any wear on the carriers before and now, after about 2 years and just 4000 miles or so, they are scored. The backing plates seem to end almost in a point which then rests on the caliper carriers and is digging into them! Always something else to sort out ...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't remember what the S-type carriers look like but isn't there normally a little stainless spring clip that sits on that part of the carrier for that kind of reason?

I might try a pad upgrade first to see if that gives me what I want in terms of braking. It just never feels that confidence inspiring but its had everything checked out and fluid replaced.

I think you'd only really notice the extra weight on harsh roads (unsprung weight) and on traffic light grandprix but I think it would have to be a back to back to really notice it, after all most medium to large cars these days have 17s or 18s fitted from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't remember what the S-type carriers look like but isn't there normally a little stainless spring clip that sits on that part of the carrier for that kind of reason?
The S-Type does not have these inserts, nor does my FIAT Coupe, but my wife's Subaru Impreza does :(

My biggest issue with the S-Types brakes was a lack of confidence too. The road test results suggested they were fine but I found that they were short of initial bite and needed higher pedal pressure than I like. Eventually I got round to trying better pads and they more or less sorted the problem, but they appear to have created a new one, in my case at least! Both rear carriers are showing signs of fresh wear. I'm trying to find the time to check the fronts - maybe tonight, and then I will report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.