Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
i was wondering when is time to change and service the distribution chains.
I talked to my service, and they told the that now is not the right time to spend over 2500 euro for this, because when car start to have issues with it is noisy and easy to hear.
My car has 159.000 km now.
And other question, sometimes when i turn the sterring wheel i hear a creek... what to do ?
Many thanks to everybody in advance ;) you're like my wikipedia LOL

P.S. : 40° in Milano... in like in hell ... pfff... sh*t...

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Ok the top or secondary tensioners are the worst culprits for failure if they are the plastic bodied ones and these can be done if you are ok with the spanners and use the tyrap method of holding the chains onto the sprockets so the valve timing does not change. Your mechanic who said wait for them to start making a noise before changing should be shot. These tensioners will fail without warning and then the repair job is very expensive. What age and model is your car by the way because after a certain time they were fitted with the metal bodied tensioners ( july 2000 I think ).

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
In that case if I were you.... Take off the top timing covers and have a look at the secondary chain tensioners. Maybe they have been changed in the past for the metal bodied ones, if they are still the plastic ones then have a good look around the body of the tensioner and see if you can see any cracks. If cracks are present then I would stop driving the car incase of the worst cenario. The job to look at the tensioners should take no more than a few hours to do, lets say a Saturday morning job. It will at least give you peace of mind to know the condition of them. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, you scared me a lot, and im now even more scared because i just got the xk8 book by royal mail finally, and pratically half book talks about that issue and that is a very dangerous problem.
Anyway is reccomended to dont change just the tensioners, but to change everything and upgrade it to the 4.2 spares that are very reliable and will not require further maintenance.
Im scared also about price, because in Italy this kind of job will have a heart attack cost...

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Like I said Lucanella it does no harm to look for yourself first to know what you have. You may be worried over nothing. :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But how can i dont be harmed ? I received today the XK8 book from Kelsey publishing and is 50 pages about the total not reliability of the 4.0 engine timing chains tensioners and water pump... im in panic because i must make 5000 km this summer with this car and mine is a 1997 with 160.000km..........

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Dont panic over everything you read and check out what you have first. Sleep well tonight and have a check on things at the weekend before you plan your course of action. :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How can i have a check ? I saw also the instructions provided but i guess is very difficult to access the area of the timing belts and tensioners, and anyway even if i find a scratched one i cant change just the tensioners i should change everything, and also water pump, no ?

G

·
Lucacanella, don't get to worried if you do as jerry said and check first, it may already have been done, also your car is the same now as it was before this thread started, and is in good condition and has been regularly serviced.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
It's very easy to access the area for the secondary tensioners. It's just a case of removing the top timing covers. I'd say if you give yourself about an hour each side that should be enough time to remove the cover, Honestly. :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.