Which is the best XJ for ride quality ?

Busterbvi

Reaction score
Seasons greetings to the club forum. I'm a new member thinking about buying a good used XJ. I'm currently driving a 2003 BMW E39 525i SE Saloon auto, a lovely low mileage mint condition example. I love the car but the harsh ride is spoiling my enjoyment of it.

I am retired now and my boy racer days are long gone, all I want is a nice super quiet, smooth comfortable ride. I did my time at a BL garage back in the 70's then moved on to a Jaguar dealership working on the XJ range for some 5 yrs. The build quality back then was really quite awful but I do have fond memories of the lovely quiet & comfy wafty ride the XJ range offered. Having returned from 25 yrs overseas nearly 3 yrs ago, I am completely out of touch with the Jaguar XJ range but reading up and watching YouTube tests and reviews on the XJ I think it may be the car for me. I'm looking at the X350 cars but have picked up on negative comments about the air suspension being harsh at low speeds, even Clarkson commented on it in a old Top Gear test suggesting it "Had to Go"

I recently read an old march 2019 issue of Classic Car Buyer that did a XJ40 v Lexus LS400 comparison test. I quote. " Lexus openly admitted that it had benchmarked the XJ40 for ride quality while developing the LS, if you drive the two back-to-back, it's close but no cigar. The LS400 is an extremely comfortable car but the XJ40 is a wonderful one, who's ride quality wouldn't be bettered until the 2002 X350 XJ came along"

I'm certainly looking at the XJ40, also the X300 and X350 V6 and V8 cars, (no diesels) I would be most grateful for some advice from members on which model to go for for the ultimate in a quiet, smooth comfortable ride at low speeds on normal roads ? I appreciate that this can be quite subjective but I am hoping there is a car that really stands out with a general consensus as the one to go for.

The later XF and XE have not been ruled out.

Thanks. Busterbvi.

Last edited:

Fraser

Reaction score
Best ride will be any of the XJs up to the X300 model. After that, the mania for big wheels and low profile tyres meant ride quality deteriorated. My two X350s weren't bad, but I installed 17" wheels on them, with fatter tyres. Also anything with the word "Sport" means the ride will be much harsher. My current XE Portfolio has 'Comfort' suspension and is quite acceptable, enve though it has 19" wheels. I have a feeling Jaguar have recognised their ride issues in recent times, expecially when one thinks of the dreadful condition of our roads. Go to Germany and experience how it should be done; the roads there are like billiard tables in comparison.

system11

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Don't discount the R models, I've been in a X350 XJR and it was wonderful and they're a very lazy drive. In general avoid anything with S/Sport because they're just crashy, while the Rs tend to be good rather than just stiff. My worst Jaguar driving experience was a XF R-Sport - it was a boneshaker!

JimC64

Reaction score
I think it's all subjective...

I loved my X358 with 20" wheels and never ever had a crashing ride, similarly on my X351 also with 20" wheels

Jim

GRTD

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised Busterbvi.
I’ve only owned the four jags* but would say from that experience that they’re all extremely well set up. I always describe them as split personality as they’re so easy to drive : motorway traffic - city - country lane blast!
Probably the most sublime for the drive that you describe was the X350 XJ6 SE, simply waft from one end of the country to the other but always nice to know that if you ever needed to pick up the pace, press the “S” and off she went. Fabulous. It also felt pretty taught and agile on a twisty B road to be fair.

• X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport (estate)
• S-Type 2.7d Sport
• XJ6 SE x350
• XJR x351

j777stp

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
I had the X300 sport and three XJ X350 a D sport a long wheelbase 4.2 and an XJR surprisingly the XJR is my favourite ride and despite the "R" badge it is simply the most comfortable long distance cruiser . I havent had the 358 so couldnt comment but the sheer size of it would mean its going to be a wonderful ride.

Fraser

Reaction score
Epson Error Code 0xf1: Epson printer is a famous printing machine among the users just because of its amazing features and high quality of printing solution. Despite, being an outstanding printer, few snags can also happen. One most common problem that you generally face while doing a print job is Epson Error Code 0xf1 and due to not enough skilled, you can’t troubleshoot on your own. At that point, rather than wandering here and there, keep your eyes feast at this blog-post. You will come to know all the efficient causes and its solution in a handy manner.
contact here

Sorry, but what is the relevance of the above to the ride quality of the XJ saloon ?

jimdoc

Reaction score
I have an X350 3.0 Sovereign with 19" wheels and find the ride to be perfectly smooth. As GRTD hinted, it can be a great lazy cruiser but put the foot down and she's off.