Which is the best XJ for ride quality ?

Captain O

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest US of A (The Colonies).
When I test drove my "new to me" 1997 X330 (XJ6L) I couldn't believe how comfortable it was (and 24 model years later) still is. The long wheelbase and buttery-smooth I6 and perfect 4-speed gearbox put a mile-wide smile on my face. (Buy an XJL (6, 8, or 12). The ride quality is nothing short of cosseting.

Captain O

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest US of A (The Colonies).
I may be a bit prejudiced, but I have test-driven an X300 and had test-driven the X330 (the X300 with a long wheelbase) and have come to the conclusion that the longer wheelbase makes a tremendous difference in the ride quality. There were only 203 XJ6L (X330) models made and I will own one. If you can find a nice X330 and have it remanufactured/rebuilt/refurbished, your efforts will be greatly rewarded.

Last edited:

Henry_B

Reaction score
A Daimler Double 6 the last of the series 3 variety was the best riding vehicle i've been in, it completely disconnects you from the road, lovely!

Tonybluejag

Reaction score
Seasons greetings to the club forum. I'm a new member thinking about buying a good used XJ. I'm currently driving a 2003 BMW E39 525i SE Saloon auto, a lovely low mileage mint condition example. I love the car but the harsh ride is spoiling my enjoyment of it.

I am retired now and my boy racer days are long gone, all I want is a nice super quiet, smooth comfortable ride. I did my time at a BL garage back in the 70's then moved on to a Jaguar dealership working on the XJ range for some 5 yrs. The build quality back then was really quite awful but I do have fond memories of the lovely quiet & comfy wafty ride the XJ range offered. Having returned from 25 yrs overseas nearly 3 yrs ago, I am completely out of touch with the Jaguar XJ range but reading up and watching YouTube tests and reviews on the XJ I think it may be the car for me. I'm looking at the X350 cars but have picked up on negative comments about the air suspension being harsh at low speeds, even Clarkson commented on it in a old Top Gear test suggesting it "Had to Go"

I recently read an old march 2019 issue of Classic Car Buyer that did a XJ40 v Lexus LS400 comparison test. I quote. " Lexus openly admitted that it had benchmarked the XJ40 for ride quality while developing the LS, if you drive the two back-to-back, it's close but no cigar. The LS400 is an extremely comfortable car but the XJ40 is a wonderful one, who's ride quality wouldn't be bettered until the 2002 X350 XJ came along"

I'm certainly looking at the XJ40, also the X300 and X350 V6 and V8 cars, (no diesels) I would be most grateful for some advice from members on which model to go for for the ultimate in a quiet, smooth comfortable ride at low speeds on normal roads ? I appreciate that this can be quite subjective but I am hoping there is a car that really stands out with a general consensus as the one to go for.

The later XF and XE have not been ruled out.

Thanks. Busterbvi.
Xj 308 late model full service history that's one to look at .

JimC64

Reaction score
Best XJ for ride quality? Surely all of them! :)
Lol probably true to be fair.

My X358 even on 20" wheels was great, the X 351 certainly does not disappoint either in any way shape or form

Jim

Fraser

Reaction score
I've never ridden or driven in an XJ40 and sibsequent models up to the X350 series, but I have owned a 1967 Mark 2, a 1980 XJ6 Series 3, and two X350S, plus my current XE Portfolio with Comfort suspension. Of the Jaguar cars I have owned, the 1980 XJ6 was like a Magic Carpet for ride and far ahead of all the other cars. However the build quality was absolutely abysmal, a real disgrace to Jaguar. Things went downhill on all up-market cars with the introduction of low-profile tyres. The fat balloon tyres prevented a lot of high-frequency stuff coming into the car, and on my XJ6, the engine was mounted on the subframe and acted to damp out road vibration as well. Those designers really knew their stuff, it's just a pity that Jaguar never spent any money on production machinery. William Lyons was a notorious meanie with money and the production department was very much regarded as "below stairs". The merger with BMC was the final nail in the coffin. Ford had to spend vast sums just updating the production facilities, and never got that money back.

Anatolijak

Reaction score
I had the X300 sport and three XJ X350 a D sport a long wheelbase 4.2 and an XJR surprisingly the XJR is my favourite ride and despite the "R" badge it is simply the most comfortable long distance cruiser . I havent had the 358 so couldnt comment but the sheer size of it would mean its going to be a wonderful ride. https://seriale.best/
XJR is what interests me the most and I have to check it out. Thanks

Last edited:

agent47

I Have Donated !
Forum Sponsor
Reaction score
dont discount the x308 model.. air suspension imo took the wafty-ness away from jaguar, having said that air suspension is by no means uncomfortable or a horrible drive