Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XJ X351 Portfolio 3.0 V6 D Caviar
3,880 Posts
Found a 4.2 LWB Sov. Very tidy inside and out with 92K and been sat at the dealers place since Dec 2021 when they took it as a PX. Good MOT history - with previous owner doing less then 5K miles in 5 years.
Was a bit sold when it started, bonnet up - needed to be jump started due to low battery, so a very cold start. Started instantly with not a rattle then settled into a silent idle. Much better than my 4.0 XK on cold start. Bit surprised that it has a cassette slot!
Ahah - problem solved and new big cat found, chuffed for you sheddist and can't wait to see how things go with the 'small' list of jobs you have planned for her (y);)

Reactions: #steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thus far:
Rain held off today so:
Earths OK, coated with grease. Did look like they have been sprayed over at some point.
Good to see that the bonnet latches had been well looked after, regularly oiled.
Most tree debris removed, drivers side plenum drain tube was blocked.
Bluetooth module and aerial fitted. Thanks to advice on this forum, it was, a simple plug and play job. Just needed to cut an aluminum plate to adapt the fixing points.
Chrome rims removed from tail lights. Anybody want a pair of chrome trims?
Resurrected the old laptop with SDD so can plug in and disable auto locking which I find annoying.
I have bought a fire extinguisher, a "standard fit" for me. Looks like the best place to located it in the boot is .......

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
If its been under the trees take the cabin filter housing out and clean the drain fro that area
My fire squirter is in the cabin mounted of the front of the passenger seat under your knees.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well certain forum members have requested pictures. Very rare for Sheddist to post pikkies of shiny cars in a nice location.
Not many people take wheels of a car 3 days after taking delivery, especially when it has a nice clean MOT.

Steel elbows on braided brake pipe look well past their best. 3 out of 4 looking red and pitted.

Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Wishboine spherical bearing dust covers MIA
Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive tire Tire Rim Wood Gas

ABS cable hanging loose
Automotive tire Tread Fender Rim Bumper

From the MOT manual:
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Magenta

Font Brand Event

So 5 majors for the joint covers
3 for the brake pipes.
1 for the insecure ABS cable.
I think a chat with the dealer first, then if they bulk at all, call to the "ministry" and fill in the MOT form and maybe trading standards.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After a chat with the dealer, it was on the ramp today. They agreed that the boots would have resulted in an MOT failure and were suitably apologetic. They were not too concerned about the brake pipe rust. They are going to replace a tie rod and both wishbones/bushes. Anyway, having had a good look underneath while it was up there, the tank straps were not too bad at all, subframe, usual surface rust and not much else to worry about. That will all be treated in due course.

Due to vibration from the front on braking, new disks and pads are on order. Looks like a previous owner just had pads replaced, as while there is about 4mm of pad, the discs are measuring 26mm against minimum of 28. Mintex coated disks with TRW pads on order. I will check the brake pistons have similar force, as uneven movement of the 2 pistons can result in all sorts of vibration.
Rear RH caliper may be a bit sticky as there is a slight squeak on pull away after shifting from park.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts