Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wipers are getting to the point where they need replacing. The last lot I bought were Bosch brand and am not too impressed with them.
They are the new style frameless ones and haven't lasted long at all. When there is plenty of rain they are OK. In drizzle conditions they are starting to streak.
I am thinking of going back to the "old fashioned" type (Trico).

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.....................................IP

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Unless you have already done so I would degrease and clean the screen as that could have an effect on the wipers.
I have always used Bosch and change them every year irrespective of wear.

Roger

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
That's the problem, I used to pay £18 to £24 a pair each year, but Bosch aren't of any quality now, just cheap Chinese stuff sold at huge profits.

Same with their power tools now.

They do have quality German drill bits but you have to scrutinise the pack to be sure it's made in Germany.

And they are expensive.

Very disappointing, Bosch used to be a great name of quality.

I got the cheapest wipers for the past 3-4 years, Iguana brand, from Motor Parts Direct (a motor trade supplier near me, similar to ECP) and they lasted over a year on both my cars, £4 a pair!

Why pay more?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are your feelings about the frameless ones versus the original type ones?

Sad about Bosch quality for some of their products. They used to be a bye word for quality, and I for one would pay a bit extra for their products.

Thanks for your replies fellas.......................................IP

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
Bosch ones are easily available and perform very well when new, usually winning test. However, the micro profiles used today don't seem to last long and the rubber seems to harden after a year or two. There are other quality alternatives, like Denso, Valeo, SWF, etc., but the differences are not great. I have used no-name cheap stuff too and they were not any better in any way and usually so bad that they went straight in the bin. Buying no-name is a lottery.

There appears to be no difference in life expectancy between the slim aero types or the standard ones. I would expect that the aero ones are easier to make so should be cheaper! They are easier to keep ice free though.

If you use the car through a "gritted winter" the wiper blades will be fairly worn at the end anyway so replace every year and you are OK.

I'm not convinced every Bosch product is rubbish. Not all are better than the competition, many are a little expensive and many are bought in. Some people swear by Bosch car batteries but these are supplied by Varta and rebadged. If the Varta is cheaper, and it usually is, just buy the Varta. One needs to look at the actual product in question and compare with similarly priced stuff. Not everything made in China is made badly. I bought a Bosch Truvo metal/cable detector after reading some reviews. It is not a pro model but compared to my old Aldi one, it is dramatically more accurate. At its price point, it is probably the best on the market. Boycotting Bosch would not have been a good move there.

What I am convinced about is that consumer products are built down to a price and longevity is not a high priority. For wear items, reduced life-expectancy is probably engineered in.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Trico. Jaguar fit them as OE.
I once bought a set from the main dealer, (yes I know, utter stupidity but I was young and foolish:-D) they were Trico manufacture...........'Made in Mexico to Jaguar Specification'

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The Trico ones are excellent, yes even made in Mexico although mine are the legacy style. Bosch are OK but I've found lifespan is 18 months max.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Bosch or genuine Jaguar for me and no issues, change them around every year too though to be fair

They're a very important part of the setup of the car, they enable you to see clearly and so I look after them and replace as required

Now and then when washing the car I give them a little TLC....A rag soaked in a little vinegar and then catch the T piece between thumb and forefinger and run the entire length of the blade, then repeat as required on the other one. You will see a black greasy film on the rag, that's all the road scum etc removed and blades clean for use again

Jim

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As JimC64 says, but each day before I use the car. I get the rag out of the boot, lift the wipers & wipe the screen where they sit (you'll see the muck sitting there) then wipe the blade. Easy, quick & the wipers work properly & last longer.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stumbled on these wiper blades, at this price got to be worth a punt.

Will post again when these are fitted.......................................IP

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stumbled on these wiper blades, at this price got to be worth a punt.

Will post again when these are fitted.......................................IP

Don't bother! blades arrived OK but without spraybar! contacted seller who said we don't sell these with spraybar. I replied with a copy of their advert that clearly says with spraybar.

They said return for refund, sorry etc. No mention of paying return postage, or allowance for (longish) phonecall to their UK office.

Contacted them again by email but didn't get a reply. Would probably cost more to return them.

Anyone wanting a pair of blades? just call at the house................................IP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.