Which XJS should I buy? V12 or 4.0, auto or manual, early 80s vs 90s.

dobson156

Reaction score
my 6 litre would avg about 15mpg and on a run 18-20mpg the 4.0l 18-20mpg upto 25-27mpg on a run . A thousand mile road trip will cost about £50-£60 more in the V12 .
Thanks just what I need to know!

Fiatson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am seriously considering buying an XJS for the express purpose of doing some long tours. I think the XJS represent a real bargain and is basically designed for my intended usage - that and it looks ace!

My budget is reasonably limited - under £10k, ideally closer to 6 to 8 - and my intention would be to buy it do some touring on the continent and then decide afterwards whether or not I want to keep it (I don't need 2 cars the rest of the time, my other is a van that I do need).

What I'd like to know from those who have experience driving and owning these cars whether they have a strong preference between the V12 automatic and 4.0 manual?

On one hand I love driving manual cars, I love the connection between driver and the machine (never owned an auto). On the other hand, I've never driven a car with more than 6 (possibly even 4) cylinder and I do feel like this might be a great opportunity to get that box ticked before things like v8 and v12s become like unicorns.

If I had to pick right now I'd probably go with the V12... but maybe there is something I don't know. Is the V12 auto going to be more expensive to maintain and own?

Finally, these cars had a Llong production run - should I be considering a newer or an older one? I like the idea of getting one that'll be soon in the tax-free bracket, that'd probably convince me keep it after my touring is over. My gut tells me I should either get a 90s 4.0 or an early 80s V12. Is age important or should be focusing on milage and rust?

Two final last quick questions, do all version have AC that I can get regassed today and am I able to update the in-car radio?

I'd appreciate any insight you might have, obviously before purchasing I'll try and test as many setups as possible, thanks in advance!
Forget about fuel consumption get the twelve. You'll be lucky if you do a couple of thousand miles a year on a classic car policy. But hey you'll love every second.
I have a 6.0lt V12 the best of the bunch with a superb electronic GM 4L80E gearbox. That gives you the best of everything. Four gears, overdrive on top and here's the nub the torque convertor locks up in third and fourth so jsut like a manual straight through.
I've had it for over ten years and it goes like a train with the governors removed because when I drive I use the endless power if I need it. The other thing is, V12 of any sort is a very special engine. Think Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferarri, did they fit straight sixes? Would we have won the war if the Spitfire and Hurricane had been straight sixes? My late father used to say you only live once and then you are dead a very long time. V12 or as Daimler owners say Double Six.
Never an easy time to buy a luxury car but the prices are going through the roof. Look on it as an investment that is a joy to own and will beat anything the banks are offering.
I've always serviced and repaired my own car. The wallet thief if you need to get it repaired at a garage, plus they never do as good a job as you would yourself. XJS was the longest production run of any Jaguar todate. Not a bad car to work on just lots of it. Space creation is the secret. Key hole mechanicing just gets loads of bark off your knuckles.

dobson156

Reaction score
The other thing is, V12 of any sort is a very special engine. Think Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferarri, did they fit straight sixes? Would we have won the war if the Spitfire and Hurricane had been straight sixes? My late father used to say you only live once and then you are dead a very long time. V12 or as Daimler owners say Double Six.
Damnit. I was so close to settling on the 4.0. ffs. I was hoping to suppress the v12 urge. The manual thing is still an issue. I am not buying an auto is like manual if it doesn't have a clutch! Nothing beat the feeling of dumping the clutch, that's more fun than stamping on the accelerator.

I am just going to have to try both.

dobson156

Reaction score
Rang the seller of the V12.

Turns out there is a bit of a fault with it. Apparently it starts (with some effort) and then it runs but cuts out shortly after.

Any idea as to what that might be? Is it indicative that engine is shagged out or that some relatively minor (sounds electrical to me) component needs replacing or just cleaning out; such as the fuel pump or return pipe.

Last edited: