Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we come to the winter once again I find that I miss the frost warnings on my old Focus. 😨
When it was 0-5 °C outside, Temp reading would show in orange to let you know.
When it was below 0°C then the display would be in red to warn you of chance of slippery roads. All other cars (even cheap and nasty ones) have a frost waring in Red that shows on dashboard but not my 2009 expensive luxury Jaguar car😠😠😠
How hard would it have been to follow Fords lead and just change the temperature display to amber then red?
Ok rant over, feeling better now....😁

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I have one on my X Type :-D

Roger

· Registered
118 Posts
there is on the facelift XF, on the temp reading on the info panel inbetween the speedo and revs the temp gets an orange 'snowflake' when the temps below 4'c

· Registered
1,306 Posts
there is on the facelift XF, on the temp reading on the info panel inbetween the speedo and revs the temp gets an orange 'snowflake' when the temps below 4'c
Yep, same with the F-Type.
Although I've only ever seen it twice!

· Registered
177 Posts
I have frost warning as soon as I step out of the front door. Simples.

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
I saw the snowflake on mine yesterday for the first time but it is so tiny, it is barely noticeable. On the X-Type, it came up as a large warning light and it was difficult to miss.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, if the temperature drops below 5 degrees it puts on the heated rear screen, easy enough to see if it's on. Phil

· Registered
1,692 Posts
The big orange snowflake permanently on from November to March on my xtype used to really pi55 me off. I guess they can't please everyone.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
The warning is merely a low temperature warning, it has nothing to do with frost, snow or ice. Just because the air temperature is near freezing does not automatically mean there will be frost or ice. Other factors in the formation of frost include the relative humidity, dew point and wind speed but the car doesn't take any notice of those things. All the warning does is to tell you to drive appropriately, if you have the temperature displayed as part of your normal display configuration you would be doing that already (assuming you have that option). Several of my previous cars would switch to the temperature display when the outside air temperature fell below 3℃ and my current car displays a message but it is still the driver's responsibility to interpret the conditions.

· Registered
247 Posts
Well said !
I wonder I survived driving all over the country in winter in my Morris 1000 in the early 60's.
Oh, I remember !
Common sense !

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
I recall a few years ago being called out to a Jag X Type with a warning light on. When I got there it turned out to be the Snowflake. The customer had no idea haha. I charged him for the call out and he paid up without question. What a div.:-D

Roger

· Premium Member
23,854 Posts
I recall a few years ago being called out to a Jag X Type with a warning light on. When I got there it turned out to be the Snowflake. The customer had no idea haha. I charged him for the call out and he paid up without question. What a div.:-D

Roger
Hope it's not someone on here Roger.:mrgreen:

· Registered
308 Posts
xf frost warning

The big orange snowflake permanently on from November to March on my xtype used to really pi55 me off. I guess they can't please everyone.
I'm with you on that.

· Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hope it's not someone on here Roger.:mrgreen:
I hope not. Even I was not on here in those days so I could not have encouraged him to join.

Roger

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Yep it's on the facelift XF and the XE

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have frost warning as soon as I step out of the front door. Simples.
Possibly, but you cant step out of the door at 70 Mph on a 200 mile journey.....:roll:
Though the point of post was Class car should have what a 20 year old banger has as standard....(you you can see from other post it was added on later models, so obviously others wanted it as well)...

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Even my daughters 2010 Corsa has a low temp warning so surprised the XF does not have one, I assumed mine did but I have not been out in very cold weather. I can step out my front door and it feels rather mild but a drive into the countryside can see the temp drop dramatically so a warning for low temp is a good thing to have when your all nice and warm in the car.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
OK then, we know about NASA's million dollar pen for use in space when the Russians just used a pencil, so the DH121 (Trident) had an ice detector in 1960 but the 1968 737 uses a bolt on the windscreen wiper, when it goes white there is icing present. Neither aircraft has ever, to my knowledge, suffered a serious icing problem but the 737 keeps the pilot in the loop far better because he/she has to be aware.

In automotive terms, a low temperature warning equates to the ice detector, you can drive along indifferent to the outside environment. If you don't have a warning you need to be aware of the temperature, you can still ignore it but you don't become dependent. Having had, for about six months, a temperature sensor that was overreading I can assure you that an awareness of the outside temperature is more important than a simple warning.

There is, in my opinion, a lot wrong with the XF instrumentation but in this respect I think Jaguar go it right, though it would appear that they have since been persuaded by customer opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.