Winter Tires Update XJL 2013

Ian1208

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Now after nearly two winter seasons on the Toyo Observe G3 Ice tires I can say
I'm extremely happy on highways and byways if I'm going in a straight line, perfect!!
I cannot hand on heart say the same about cornering.
Acceleration and braking on the straight gives me complete confidence, but I slow to 20 -40 kmph on shamrock off and on ramps, heck it's scary. How will they handle in evasive maneuvers in bad conditions!!
Guess I'm going to switch back to Michelin ice tires or better.

JimC64

Reaction score
Now after nearly two winter seasons on the Toyo Observe G3 Ice tires I can say
I'm extremely happy on highways and byways if I'm going in a straight line, perfect!!
I cannot hand on heart say the same about cornering.
Acceleration and braking on the straight gives me complete confidence, but I slow to 20 -40 kmph on shamrock off and on ramps, heck it's scary. How will they handle in evasive maneuvers in bad conditions!!
Guess I'm going to switch back to Michelin ice tires or better.
Hey Ian, what about Nokian? They get a decent name!

That said, we may get some bad winters here in Glasgow UK, but nothing like you guys, so I'll probably defer to your good judgement lol

Jim

Ian1208

I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Hey Ian, what about Nokian? They get a decent name!

That said, we may get some bad winters here in Glasgow UK, but nothing like you guys, so I'll probably defer to your good judgement lol

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I think Nokian are recognized as one of the best, at the time of purchase I could not get rims and nokian tires together.
Well I have the rims now so I'll be looking around for deals on Nokian tires for next year.
Ian.

JimC64

Reaction score
Thanks Jim,
I think Nokian are recognized as one of the best, at the time of purchase I could not get rims and nokian tires together.
Well I have the rims now so I'll be looking around for deals on Nokian tires for next year.
Ian.
Hey Ian, gotta love that big XJL in the snow, RWD and those big fat tyres......

Haven't seen many posts from you on your car in the XJ section, look forward to seeing more, pics etc

Cheers
Jim

hangie

Reaction score
I'm using Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905 and can recommend them.

They were fine in +6C through the Germany at 220km/h and when it get colder few days later they were more than I expected in wintery conditions. I've used them on:
  • 10cm of fresh snow - bit of spin here and there but car moved forward. I guess good traction control algorithm from Land Rover helps too.
  • Ice - quite good acceleration - again probably traction control is helping a lot. Braking as expected a bit of a slide but always in a straight line and predictable.
  • One night it was really cold and went down to -17C - As above no issues but car developed multiple strange noises. You could hear how chassis is working/bending in the sun roof area.

In general I'm very happy with them and they come at a good price at 19''.

JimC64

Reaction score
I'm using Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905 and can recommend them.

They were fine in +6C through the Germany at 220km/h and when it get colder few days later they were more than I expected in wintery conditions. I've used them on:
  • 10cm of fresh snow - bit of spin here and there but car moved forward. I guess good traction control algorithm from Land Rover helps too.
  • Ice - quite good acceleration - again probably traction control is helping a lot. Braking as expected a bit of a slide but always in a straight line and predictable.
  • One night it was really cold and went down to -17C - As above no issues but car developed multiple strange noises. You could hear how chassis is working/bending in the sun roof area.

In general I'm very happy with them and they come at a good price at 19''.
Nice one Hangie....

Good to hear some positive experienced views. Most seem to say there is actually a night / day difference, seen the videos myself, very impressive

Won't be surprised if it comes into law here sooner rather than later anyway

Jim

Bronco

Reaction score
Snow and really cold weather are rare in the south-east Chris, although it does catch us out every few years. But most winters, the daytime temperature is usually 5 to 10 degrees, with the odd frosty morning. It's rare to see my ice warning light come on. I reckon all-season tyres would probably do the job in these circumstances, although I've not tried them, otherwise we'd be changing our tyres to & fro every few days. But if the Sturgeon lady ever gets her way and you go it alone, it would not surprise me if they make winter tyres compulsory north of the frontier. Probably cost you a few euros.

Last edited:

hangie

Reaction score
Snow and really cold weather are rare in the south-east Chris, although it does catch us out every few years. But most winters, the daytime temperature is usually 5 to 10 degrees, with the odd frosty morning. It's rare to see my ice warning light come on. I reckon all-season tyres would probably do the job in these circumstances, although I've not tried them, otherwise we'd be changing our tyres to & fro every few days. But if the Sturgeon lady ever gets her way and you go it alone, it would not surprise me if they make winter tyres compulsory north of the frontier. Probably cost you a few euros.
Yes, for most cars, if you don’t need extra performance of summer or winter tyres, all seasons will be fine in milder climate. This is what I’ve got on our Honda CRV. Those are adequate to performance of the car.
For Jaguar I prefer a separate set to be able to use full car potential all year around wherever we go - and we always go at least 2 times a winter to places with proper winter.
As for price, I’ve bought a set of 19’’ alloys (Toba design) for DIY change as winter tyres are way more expensive at 20’’. As far I remember it was around £1300 for whole set, but I got alloys at a good price especially as there were new with just a tiny cosmetic scratch :)

JimC64

Reaction score
Yes, for most cars, if you don’t need extra performance of summer or winter tyres, all seasons will be fine in milder climate. This is what I’ve got on our Honda CRV. Those are adequate to performance of the car.
For Jaguar I prefer a separate set to be able to use full car potential all year around wherever we go - and we always go at least 2 times a winter to places with proper winter.
As for price, I’ve bought a set of 19’’ alloys (Toba design) for DIY change as winter tyres are way more expensive at 20’’. As far I remember it was around £1300 for whole set, but I got alloys at a good price especially as there were new with just a tiny cosmetic scratch :)
Fair play Hangie...

I know that winter tyres are awesome and make a big difference, but I also know how bad the XJ is in snow / icy weather with decent tyres and just can't imagine it being THAT much better, although I'm sure it is.

Mine's goes out as little as possible when the weather's that bad up here

At least the 19's being that little bit narrower / smaller will help some too, so good call

Jim