Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been threads before, but no-one has answered the question - does a 'service' position exist and if so how to access it?

My wipers occasionally 'stick' just short of vertical which makes me think one exists.

The X260 has one:

1. Make sure the ignition is switched off.
2. Switch the ignition on and then off again.
3. Immediately press the wiper/washer control to its lowest position (as if to command a single wipe, see 61, WIPER OPERATION), hold this position while switching on the ignition again. The wipers will move to their service position.
4. When the new parts have been fitted, switch the ignition off. This will return the wipers to the park position

This didn't work for me on my X358

Thoughts?

Yes - I can wrestle the blades on and off in the normal park position but it is a little awkward.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There's nothing about a service position that I can find in the Workshop Manual.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
That would be because the wiper blades are below the bonnet line on the X260.

Roger

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I had the 'sticking' syndrome on my last X350 when it was cold weather. When the car warmed up it went away. Apparently there is some tiny switch inside the unit that causes this and can be easily fixed once the wiper unit is out of the car. The only problem is that apparently the design of the car means the rest of it was built around the wiper unit !! Only joking, but removing the wiper unit to repair or replace is a real PITA apparently.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The wiper has an internal park switch that is operated by a small cam on the gearbox , and a separate supply to the motor.

On older cars the park position feed was from general ignition position 2 , with the key removed they stopped in their tracks regardless.

Newer cars tend to keep this powered up along with the windows etc when the key is removed until the drivers door is opened / car locked.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Can I resurrect my own thread for a follow up question please.

Ever since I got the car ,when Auto or Intermittent is selected the wiper sometimes stopped in a random position. Sometimes it would start again of its own accord, otherwise a quick flick wipe got it going again.

No issues when continuous low or high speed is selected. When in Auto mode if the sensor sees enough rain to select continuous there is also no issue. So seems related to the Intermittent function.

Now it is doing this every time Auto or Intermittent is selected and the frequency of self re-start is going down.

I read of possible relay faults - but cannot now find the thread.

The internal park switch mechanism may be faulty. Before I try to remove the wiper arms and plastic scuttle trim, does any one know if any part of the wiper motor is accessible in situ?

Anything else that might cause this?

Edit I have read this, but apart from giving me the willies it didn't help me very much!

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=17783

This explains the same issue:

https://jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=12399

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There have been threads before, but no-one has answered the question - does a 'service' position exist and if so how to access it?

My wipers occasionally 'stick' just short of vertical which makes me think one exists.

The X260 has one:

1. Make sure the ignition is switched off.
2. Switch the ignition on and then off again.
3. Immediately press the wiper/washer control to its lowest position (as if to command a single wipe, see 61, WIPER OPERATION), hold this position while switching on the ignition again. The wipers will move to their service position.
4. When the new parts have been fitted, switch the ignition off. This will return the wipers to the park position

This didn't work for me on my X358

Thoughts?

Yes - I can wrestle the blades on and off in the normal park position but it is a little awkward.
Bad advice cracked a screen doing this because wiper wouldn't lock in out position as bonnet was obstructing arm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.