Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having Fun with Fault Codes C1881 (Front Right) and C1893 (Rear Left) Height Sensors Open Circuit or Short to Ground. (Air Suspension Fault on display).

Having "dealt with" the Sensor Plugs I am moving along the loom. Suspect disturbance or damage when the Diff was changed followed shortly after the Auto Box overhauled.

Where do I find the loom connectors CV5 (which I understand is somewhere on the rear subframe in the centre) and EC46 which is allegedly on the front subframe.

Official Wiring Diagrams and descriptions are terse; to say the least. Any photo's of previous work gratefully accepted so as to minimise grovelling time.

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
The rear looms have connectors on the fuel tanks rearmost vertical side. I do have a spare loom here for testing purposes.

• Wow
Reactions: Sailor

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now here's a thing!

Spent most of today chasing an open circuit in the LH Rear Sensor. Then I did what I should have done before and checked the wiring colours. According to the 2004 Electrical Guide they should each be on the other side!

Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Slope

Black + stripe is actually on the left and Yellow + Stripe on the right.

Switched my attention to the RH Sensor and the Open Circuit is cured.

Has anyone expeienced this? Is the Electrical Guide wrong?

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
So was the loom on backwards?

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
There is also a few anomaly’s with the x type drawings.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been trying to get my head around the implications. If fitted wrongly wouldn't the handling be appalling? Possible crossover at connector CV5?

I have some new plug connectors en-route, so when fitting them I suppose that the logical thing to do would be to bell through and find what exactly goes where.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think that I am going bonkers :confused:

The 2004 Electrical Guide shows the ASM Connector CR90 as follows (2nd from right as slot 5 is empty)

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

However,IDS/SDD locates it here on the right (Slot 4 as Slot 5 is empty)!

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Increasing belief that the Electrical Guide is wrong - I will be delving behind the back seat when it stops raining to look at the "other CR90 connector"

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Increasing belief that the Electrical Guide is wrong - I will be delving behind the back seat when it stops raining to look at the "other CR90 connector"
In fact the 15 pin connector CR90 is in the position shown in the electrical guide as is the 12 pin connector CR89. The SDD diagram is incorrect.

Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Nail
Purple Finger Gesture Pink Nail

A thorough clean, degrease and lube of both plugs; then carefully re-seated.

Seems OK on the drive, but needs a test run 😟

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How pessimistic MrKis!!.. you almost sound like a long term Jaguar owner... 🙃

Reactions: MrKis

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have my fingers crossed for you but it’s never that easy, is it?
How pessimistic MrKis!!.. you almost sound like a long term Jaguar owner... 🙃
Semi-satisfactory test run (OK for a bit): then the message again! 😠

Another reset after re-seating both connectors again. Proprietary contact cleaner lubricant might be part of the problem?
What do you guys use?

We shall see what develops on the next test drive.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I imagine at least some of the height sensors are the same, so have you swapped them around to see if the fault jumps to a different sensor?

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Ok, so you have replaced them and the fault didn’t go, so the sensors must be ok.
Do you have a scanner that can see the live data from the sensors?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so you have replaced them and the fault didn’t go, so the sensors must be ok.
Do you have a scanner that can see the live data from the sensors?
Done that with both SDD/Mongoose and iCarSoft LR v2. 0. Depending on contacts each sensor shows a reading, but not all move when the car is bounced. Front right and rear left show around 115mm but the other diagonal pair - 6mm. Odd!

After cleaning and lubing the ASM connectors the car has adopted a lopsided low left high right attitude. Not rechecked the sensor readings yet, but it all points towards it being sensor plugs being open circuit.

Hence my query about contact cleaner lubricant. I am using Electrolube EML, but wonder if it is coating the contacts instead of creating a better contact.

What do you use?

Might have to solvent clean all of the sensors and ASM connectors.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I thought contact cleaner was a solvent based cleaner already.
Id imagine that if the sensors were open circuit on either power or ground, unplugging the sensors would not change the error or the values reported by SDD. So you could try that, if you haven’t already.

You could back probe the sensor connectors, testing the connectors and wiring back to a junction point.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought contact cleaner was a solvent based cleaner already.
Id imagine that if the sensors were open circuit on either power or ground, unplugging the sensors would not change the error or the values reported by SDD. So you could try that, if you haven’t already.

You could back probe the sensor connectors, testing the connectors and wiring back to a junction point.
It's the added lubricant that I suspect.

As for probing I need to bell through and that means considerable groveling at intermediate connectors although I will do end-to-end first. It is only one of the three wires to each of the front right and rear left sensors that are open circuit when probed at connector CR90. Those wires are adjacent at the ASM connector. It is odd that the faults occurred simultaneously.

There then remains the conundrum of the rear height sensors being reversed left-right according to wire stripe colours compared with the electrical guide diagram (see diagrams in earlier part of this thread).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts