X Type 2.0d - £400.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landie

Reaction score
Hi,

Having just bought a mint 03 Mercedes Benz 320 CDi I’m selling my 04 2.0d X Type that I’ve driven over 40,000 miles in over the past 18 months, it now having 190,000 miles on the clock.

While the car only has 1 months MOT left, in the time I’ve had it I’ve replaced all the pulleys, power steering pump and clutch/flywheel and had 2 new sills put on for the last MOT.

While the engine, (fitted with a Bluespark tuning box), has 190,000 on the clock, it always starts first time, pulls like a train and hardly uses any oil. I also fitted 4 new Avon winter tyres for the last MOT, the rear ones still having plenty tread on them, (almost still like new), but the front ones have some wear on the shoulders showing, (it could do with tracking or bottom ball joints).

Known Problems?

For a new MOT I anticipate it will need at least a N/S front wheel bearing, (you can hear it humming very slightly), a new OS rear wheel speed sensor, (the ABS light is on and diagnostics show that speed sensor as the problem), and possibly front bottom ball joints, with from the way it drives me not thinking it will need much else.

Engine?

As I’ve said, even though it’s a high mileage car, the engine runs fine and pulls like a train while averaging the mid to high 50’s MPG in general running and hardly uses any oil, with me having changed the oil and filter every 6,000 miles while I’ve owned it. For the past 6 months I’ve been using it for takeaway deliveries 4 evenings a week, and after chugging about for 60 or so miles a night, the first time you boot it after plodding about there’s a plume of grey smoke as it clears itself out, (likely caused by over fuelling from the Bluespark box), but once it’s had this clear out, it runs really clean with no smoke at all in normal running.

Bodywork & Interior?

Apart from a small area of rust scabbing on the O/S front wheel arch, (close to the door), a tiny rust scab on the leading edge of the bonnet near the grill, (likely caused by a stone chip), and a couple of areas where the paint lacquer has delaminated, it scrubs up really well.

Interior wise, apart from a spot of wear on the driver’s seat side swab, the leather seats are clean and with a good valet will come out looking mint.

OK, it’s an 18 year old high mileage X Type with only a short MOT, but with the way it drives and all the major typical X Type problems, (sills, pulleys and DM flywheel/clutch), sorted in the last year I'd happily jump in it and drive up to Scotland with no worries about not getting there and it’s too good to scrap.

I’ll take £400 for it, (not much more than scrap price), if anybody’s interested, with me being based in Blackpool,

Attachments

• Jag.jpg
    Jag.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Jag2.jpg
    Jag2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Jag3.jpg
    Jag3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Jag4.jpg
    Jag4.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 16

JimC64

Reaction score
Hi,

Having just bought a mint 03 Mercedes Benz 320 CDi I’m selling my 04 2.0d X Type that I’ve driven over 40,000 miles in over the past 18 months, it now having 190,000 miles on the clock.

While the car only has 1 months MOT left, in the time I’ve had it I’ve replaced all the pulleys, power steering pump and clutch/flywheel and had 2 new sills put on for the last MOT.

While the engine, (fitted with a Bluespark tuning box), has 190,000 on the clock, it always starts first time, pulls like a train and hardly uses any oil. I also fitted 4 new Avon winter tyres for the last MOT, the rear ones still having plenty tread on them, (almost still like new), but the front ones have some wear on the shoulders showing, (it could do with tracking or bottom ball joints).

Known Problems?

For a new MOT I anticipate it will need at least a N/S front wheel bearing, (you can hear it humming very slightly), a new OS rear wheel speed sensor, (the ABS light is on and diagnostics show that speed sensor as the problem), and possibly front bottom ball joints, with from the way it drives me not thinking it will need much else.

Engine?

As I’ve said, even though it’s a high mileage car, the engine runs fine and pulls like a train while averaging the mid to high 50’s MPG in general running and hardly uses any oil, with me having changed the oil and filter every 6,000 miles while I’ve owned it. For the past 6 months I’ve been using it for takeaway deliveries 4 evenings a week, and after chugging about for 60 or so miles a night, the first time you boot it after plodding about there’s a plume of grey smoke as it clears itself out, (likely caused by over fuelling from the Bluespark box), but once it’s had this clear out, it runs really clean with no smoke at all in normal running.

Bodywork & Interior?

Apart from a small area of rust scabbing on the O/S front wheel arch, (close to the door), a tiny rust scab on the leading edge of the bonnet near the grill, (likely caused by a stone chip), and a couple of areas where the paint lacquer has delaminated, it scrubs up really well.

Interior wise, apart from a spot of wear on the driver’s seat side swab, the leather seats are clean and with a good valet will come out looking mint.

OK, it’s an 18 year old high mileage X Type with only a short MOT, but with the way it drives and all the major typical X Type problems, (sills, pulleys and DM flywheel/clutch), sorted in the last year I'd happily jump in it and drive up to Scotland with no worries about not getting there and it’s too good to scrap.

I’ll take £400 for it, (not much more than scrap price), if anybody’s interested, with me being based in Blackpool,
Onwards n upwards eh Landie?

That's a decent price for a decent X type by the looks of it, will serve someone well no doubt

All the best

Jim

Landie

Reaction score
Onwards n upwards eh Landie?

That's a decent price for a decent X type by the looks of it, will serve someone well no doubt

All the best

Jim

Thanks Jim, with as I've said, it's too good a car to scrap yet, with it having had all the important things fixed. With a couple of hundred £ spent getting it through it's next test I can see it giving good reliable service for at least another 40,000 miles over the next couple of years which would make it a cheap car for somebody, plus I gain perhaps £100 more than I would scrapping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.