Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon to you all. I am after some knowledge from you great people. I have a 2005 2.0d which until last week was running great. All of a sudden the coil and EML light came on refusing to start. The RAC said the fault was Cylinder 1 above knock threshold. They were unable to clear the codes. It has now been trailered away and the garage “seem” to think it it the high pressure fuel pump. Fuel pressure is very low. Has this happened to anyone else and does anybody have any ideas? I would really appreciate your help as garage have quoted me £2000.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Seems strange that the low pressure appears to have had an effect only on cylinder 1.
I would make sure the fuel pressure is showing low first. Normally if a high pressure fuel pump goes you will find some tiny particles of shiny metal in the fuel lines after the pump. You can test it by putting it in a black cup or other small container and shining a bright light on it. The shiny particles will be visible under the bright light.
If it is the case then these particles will have almost certainly found their way into the injectors. This would then require injector cleaning/refurbishment and a complete flushing of the entire fuel system. I hope this will not be the case and at todays labour costs and the parts required I can see how a 2 grand bill is possible.
Fingers crossed it doesn't come to this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your reply and knowledge regarding this. I will be doing that tomorrow when I get the car back. So many people and garages have stated it could be, knock sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, injector. I really don’t think car garages are up to much these days.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can't 'clear' that sort of error! You have to reprogram the injector code into the ecu, that clears the limp mode and the error. The garage is guessing and will take you for a ride. If they do change the pump and charge you £2k, you'll STILL have limp mode and the error. It could be that the injector is 'on its way out', but I had this problem (with P2338, injector in cylinder 3 knock threshold) and once I had reprogrammed the code into the ecu, it ran fine for another 3 years!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would just like to give an update. Pulling fuel from the car there were shiny particles and silt in the cup. Having now removed the injectors, they are coated oil with metal filings within it. I now presume fuel pump issue?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, that knock threshold code wouldn't prevent the car from starting... You will expect to have injectors coated in oil when you remove them as they screw through the rocker cover into the top of the cylinder head.. Where did you draw the fuel from?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was from the fuel filter as I was informed to do by a local mechanic. I hope this helps and thank you for your time in trying to help me. Kind regards.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I would just like to give an update. Pulling fuel from the car there were shiny particles and silt in the cup. Having now removed the injectors, they are coated oil with metal filings within it. I now presume fuel pump issue?
Sorry was away at the weekend.
Not good news by the sound of your description. This will mean not just a pump but as I described earlier a complete fuel system flush and injector replacement/refurbish. This is not optional as any metal particles left in the fuel system can help do the same again to a new pump and injectors.
This problem with the diesels has seen many owners face the decision to scrap or sell for parts their cherished cars because the cost to value equation no longer works for them. However, this is personal choice of course and based on how much anyone is prepared to invest in a vehicle that can be bought for little money and may be perfect and loved in every other respect.
If you do decide to repair, then whoever does that repair must give you a quote that includes a full flush of every part of the fuel system and carry it out.
It's sad that since the fuel shortages and price hikes, incidents of diesel failures have increased. I actually spent my weekend working on my friends Nissan diesel which has suffered from that same period where fuel shortages here in Poland were the same as in the UK. Garages saw their bio diesel and petrol tanks drained to levels they normally never reach..... and just like the fuel tank on your car, will contain impurities. Some garages, unintentionally supplied fuel that contained dregs from unusually low levels of fuel in their storage tanks that found its way out and into peoples cars, especially from garages that are automated unmanned fuel suppliers.
Personally I never run my own vehicle lower than a quarter of a tank and I drive the 3.0 petrol X Type.
Please let us know how you get on with this and I hope whatever you do works out as painless as possible.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Fuel tank removal and complete emptying and cleaning out of all the impurities (either chemically or power washed), filter renewal, fuel pipes-both feed and return flushed through several times, again best done using a flushing agent, and all feed pipes and tubes - both feed and return, from the pump to the injectors. Most auto part stockists will advise on the flushing fluids to use. When completed, using compressed air to blow through everything will do no harm.
However, on a car around 17 years old you will be surprised at what comes out of the fuel tank.
Sounds like you are toying with the idea of keeping your car, yes?😊

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I most certainly am toying with the idea. Car is now in the garage partially stripped, on axle stands. Removing the fuel tank tomorrow after work. I’ve separated the injectors having watched a video on YouTube regarding cleaning them. On the subject of flushing agents would seafoam be a good choice. Kind regards, and hopefully many more years of motoring.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I haven't used it myself but seafoam has got good reviews for cleaning, just make sure you leave no surplus to dry out anywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I get on throughout the project. Is it worth syringing fresh diesel through the lines after I have used the seafoam?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Many thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I get on throughout the project. Is it worth syringing fresh diesel through the lines after I have used the seafoam?
Probably a good idea and if there is anything left in the pipes the diesel should help pick it up and carry it out.
Glad you are going to keep the cat alive and hope you will be smiling again very soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts