Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
dunno if some of you may remember my eldest son Peter, he bought his X type around 5 years ago and did a whole raft of mods, lovely car that served him well...

One of the mods was to be the bootlid plinth

His car was Black ( PEF iirc ) and here was a chrome bootlid plinth on her

The thought was to do "THE MOD"......buy another plinth and hollow out the word JAGUAR. The plinth was, is painted body colour and the JAGUAR lettering cut out the plan was to install white, or perhaps red LED lights wired into the brake lights, or tail lights
The bootlid plinth was bought at a reasonable cost, the paint etc and time input she looks pretty good and probably around £70 value or more to someone

Anyone that wants this is welcome to it for free, I have it in a box all ready good to go.
All I'd ask is payment enough to cover postage whatever that would be.

See Peters thread here....http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=57886
Unfortunately pics won't show due to Photobucket being douche bags

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hi all,
dunno if some of you may remember my eldest son Peter, he bought his X type around 5 years ago and did a whole raft of mods, lovely car that served him well...

One of the mods was to be the bootlid plinth

His car was Black ( PEF iirc ) and here was a chrome bootlid plinth on her

The thought was to do "THE MOD"......buy another plinth and hollow out the word JAGUAR. The plinth was, is painted body colour and the JAGUAR lettering cut out the plan was to install white, or perhaps red LED lights wired into the brake lights, or tail lights
The bootlid plinth was bought at a reasonable cost, the paint etc and time input she looks pretty good and probably around £70 value or more to someone

Anyone that wants this is welcome to it for free, I have it in a box all ready good to go.
All I'd ask is payment enough to cover postage whatever that would be.

See Peters thread here....http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=57886
Unfortunately pics won't show due to Photobucket being douche bags

Cheers
Jim
if you're on chrome google "photobucket hotlink fix", it allows you to view the photobucket pictures again.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Is this it Jim?

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this it Jim?

that's the very chappy Billy, thanks buddy.

As you can see, all primed and now painted in PEF I think it is

The word JAGUAR has been hollowed out, the intention being to retro fit either white / red led's behind it, but never done

Free to a good home for anyone that may be interested, just pay for post / packing

Jim

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I think I could actually make use of that Jim.
Any idea what postage would be at all?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Using white LED'S would be illegal, you might just get away with other colours.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Red is fine.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yeah, no different to rear sidelights.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Billy, it's all in the original box it came in, wouldn't have thought postage would be too much, £10 would surely cover it may be even less not sure!

If you want it though, I can get it wrapped up safe in the box and if you pm your address get it sent off to you.
I can advise postage costs and you can square me up via Paypal if that suits?

I'd love to see this on the car and how it looks

Let me know
Jim

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I'll drop you a PM mate, thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jim, I was thinking of doing this as well. Any idea what tool was used to hollow out the lettering?

Also, if I am correct, there are mounting brackets behind 2 letters, and clue if those were moved or modded?

Or when you receive this item Billy2Jags, could you post images of the rear of the plinth, or I can share my e-mail addy via PM for you if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Jim, I was thinking of doing this as well. Any idea what tool was used to hollow out the lettering?

Also, if I am correct, there are mounting brackets behind 2 letters, and clue if those were moved or modded?

Or when you receive this item Billy2Jags, could you post images of the rear of the plinth, or I can share my e-mail addy via PM for you if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks Guys
I'm sure I've seen some American members doing that mod, the problem i have is rain getting into the boot lid and when you open it the water comes out from behind the interior cover so i think the chrome signature bar needs to be sealed.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yes, for sure I'll need to figure out how to waterproof it properly.
Will post pics too for you guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As far as the brackets behind: I ran the LEDs so that the light spills through the letter from below the bracket, so no issue there.

The cutouts in mine were filled with clear plastic resin flush with the top of the letter, and even with the outside of the plinth. I placed the resin using a hypodermic syringe. I taped waxed paper behing each letter to support the first few coats of the resin. After those coats set, you simply keep adding resin until the letter are filled, allowing it to dru between coats. I have about ten coats in each cutout.

The resin both mechanically and chemically bonds to the plastiv of the plinth, so it will be permanent. Some folks use clear RTV, but this doesn't bond and water can eventually work its way under the letters; that will not happen with the resin.

My state's inspection is similar to an MOT; I was able to use white LEDs by wiring them in parallel with the license lights; the incidental light spillage is negligible. UK law allows for red rear lighting, so if you can't sneak white by, red will work.

Of course, you can always hide a kill switch somewhere, and just turn the plinth off come MOT time!

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I remember rightly at the time, our thinking was to use clear waterproof silicone for the letters. I have a feeling it would've done the done perfectly well

Can't wait to see how this goes....

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.