X-type rear suspension knocking nightmare SOLVED!!!!

steeveyboy

Reaction score
Ok......a few weeks ago I posted on my frustration of having a hollow/booming/knocking noise on the rear of my 06 sport premium....sounded expensive! Anyway I refused to believe it was the overly expensive shocks (compared to the comfort type) and so bought several different parts including anti-roll bar bushes, rear hub carrier bushes, drop links, dog bones etc.....in the hope that after replacing them all I may at last solve the problem. Well I took the car to my mates garage and explained that the knock happens even going slowly over slight cracks in the road....we checked the springs and shocks...including top and bottom mounts....err nothing. Then we checked the various bushes (plenty of them aren't there haha)...nothing...apart from the fact that the near side anti roll bar bush (ARB) was certainly worn....however the knocking was definately coming from the off side rear.....puzzled we changed the arb's (done in about 20 mins) .....I had ordered some M8 stainless steel 30mm bolts(just over a quid for ten on fleabay) to replace the original rusted ones....so away we went. I then explained to him that the jag forums suggested putting electrical tape around the sway bar to take up the common wear.....he laughed...I kid you not.

Now here's the gem......what he did after doing up the rubber bushes finger tight to the steel mount was to slip a 5 pence piece between the the bush and the mount and then tightened everything up. I nervously took the car out of the garage to test what effect replacing the arb's had had. OH MY LORD!!!!! WOW......new car......unbelievable that changing those two little critters had cured everything......the knocks....my credit rating....even third world poverty!!!!! I am aliiiiive!!!

What a difference two 5 pences had on my whole life.....what was happening is the worn arb on the near side was creating the problem but because the offside arb was still tight...the noise transferance travelled through the tighter arb and through all other associated parts attached to that area.....thus creating a very worrying 'oh my lord my car is dying' kind of noise and a classic red herring!

So to all x type owners with head wrecking rear suspension knocks....first port of call is the ARB's at about £13......plus ten pence (thats 2x5 pences for the terminally thick).......tape is more expensive than two 5 pences and nowhere near as effective....WOO HOO!!!

P.s Now I'm left with about £100's worth of suspension parts.....fleabay here I come!!!

roddie1952

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 2009 2.2D. Had the local Jag dealer replace the suspension arm bushes (I wasn't convinced that was the source of the noise, but one was starting to split). Noise was still there, mostly at slow speed on rougher road. Checked the forum and found your post. 10 pence was a bit steep, so I tried washers on the existing bushes. Hey presto, noise gone!! Bought new bushes for £17 inc postage and have fitted them (with 5 pence pieces). One very happy bunny! Thanks.

fabio_tmr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the same problem in my X-type and already have the new bushes fitted there for a month.

I think that I'm not understanding where you are fitting the 5 pence piece. Can you send a picture or point to that area in an existent picture of the bushes?
The 5 pence piece is a normal 5 pence coin or another metallic part (sorry for my poor english)?

Thank you very much!

ultrageoff

Reaction score
I tried to fit a couple of 2p pieces under the ARB bushes because, despite having had new rear shocks, two Febi/Bilstein rear lower control arms, new ARB bushes and new drop links, the car still felt wallowy and uncertain when cornering. I just knew it had been better when I bought it (with 33K miles). Despite the new parts. Anyway, I'd read that it was important to torque up the suspension with the car on its wheels, so I thought I'd be A] trying the coin trick and B] sure that the tor quing was indeed done with the rubber bushes sitting in their weight-loaded condition if I loosened off the four ARB bush bolts, put the coins in, and tightened up again. Now, I couldn't actually get both the 2p pieces in under the bushes, just one of them. And then it started raining, so I left one 2p piece under the bush on one side and quickly retightened the pair of bolts on each ARB bush retainer. Tidying up, I see two 2p pieces on the drive. Did the one I'd put in fall out? Dunno. Anyway, it's worth a test drive because I've done B] even if I haven't done A] on both sides (or at all).
And the car feels renewed! Instead of seeming 'confused' by bumps, it feels as if the rear suspension is 'handling' them. Cornering now perfect/neutral/steady/fun! It's so different that I drive forty miles and then treat myself to a few extra speed bumps rather than turn into home. Because the car feels like a good new one. So, is torquing with the weight of the car on the wheels a really key factor? I'm thinking it might be, and you can, of course, try it with no outlay on any more new parts.