Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - greetings.
I have signed up here in hopes to gain a bit of insight and hopefully from some Jaguar professionals if possible.

I have come upon a 2002 Lincoln LS 3 liter V6, and only for the engine - to be transplanted in to another.... shall we say 'project vehicle'. The price was right for anyone asking why.

The issue is, it would be much more convenient for my project (transverse installation), to use the X-type camshafts (water pump off the tail end, exhaust, left bank) rather than mucking about with the LS / S-type (longitudinal install), and their cooling systems.

I have studied the physical differences being valve and timing covers, mounting brackets and pumps and such, however I can not find any information with details regarding camshaft profiles: x-type versus s-type.

Does anyone know if x-type / s-type cam duration and lift etc are identical? Please ignore the obvious length difference and such of the x for the water pump drive and please note, this is pre VVT for added simplicity.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Don't know anything about the Lincoln engine, but surely all S type and X Type 3 litre engines have variable inlet valve timing, so putting a fixed inlet camshaft in would confuse the engine management system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know anything about the Lincoln engine, but surely all S type and X Type 3 litre engines have variable inlet valve timing, so putting a fixed inlet camshaft in would confuse the engine management system?
Hello and many thanks for your reply.
This Lincoln is a non-VVT engine. I would only need the 'X' exhaust cam for the left bank which is 'fixed' in all cases and has no VVT mechanism ever.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Now I see what you're trying to do!

I've got a huge amount of Jaguar technical documentation, but nowhere can I find the actual valve timing figures. Camshaft lift figures - yes, got them if you need them, but not the angles. Sorry!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...Camshaft lift figures - yes, got them if you need them...
The lift figures would be a very good start as a matter of fact, thank you.
I have seen some fairly affordable used camshafts and ultimately if things do look somewhat similar then I would have no problem to 'gamble' their value for further hands-on analysis.

Sincerely appreciated!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Here's what you need Abraham. I even found the timing figures!

Exhaust Valve Lift 9.461mm

Exhaust Opens 57.5 BBDC Closes 11.5 ATDC

Hope that helps you on your way. Good luck with your project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.