Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have found the info on the forum to be a great support to me as an X Type owner. Since I bought my X Type DPF (2008) Sovereign i have had a number of problems which have lead me to pursue various avenues to get the problem sorted out. The main problem experienced was starting. Sometimes it had the frustrating tendency to refuse to start up. I followed and applied all the advice given on the forum but it never really cured the problem once and for all.
It had been serviced at the main dealership yet the recurring problem of failure to start persisted.
The crunch came when driving home the car developed a cough and splutter Jerk and judder. I slowed down and "nursed" her to a local independent garage for their opinion. At first it was thought it was the automatic gear box etc etc......
but here is the amazing thing - the garage took a look at the DPF and explained this was the route cause of all my problems. They recommended replacement which was done. They also serviced the car fitting new oil and fuel filters etc etc - in doing so they found that the fuel filter fitted by the Dealership was dated over 6 years old ! It was assumed that all the filters had never been replaced even though the car had been serviced and good money had been paid for this. Dealers deserve the name "Stealers".

The result now is that the car now runs sweet as a nut - smooth as can be and starts first time - every time. Total cost of the garage bill including new DPF was £850 - money well spent i would say.
i have read so many enquiries from members on the forum complaining of the same problems i have experienced - my recommendation is to get the car thoroughly checked over by an independent who is trustworthy and ask them to take a look at the dates on the fitted filters. Even though the DPF may well be ok - renewal of all the filters will do the car a power of good. And that includes using superior diesel fuels.

My X Type is the best car i have owned - its polished and pampered with the best of attention. She is a "looker" and draws admiring glances. She is now 9 years old and still looks brand new. i hope to keep her for many years ahead.

·
Premium Member
17,891 Posts
Fuel filter 6 years olf and god knows how many miles??

Yes regular servicing of the air filter, engine oil and filter & fuel filter as a basic minimum on a diesel is just good cheap preventative maintenance

Glad you're all sorted

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
It's good to see you have got your problems sorted,i wouldn't get any work done at a dealer when the x type was brought out with the 2:2auto and diesel particular filter their was know mention off the need to use a Low Ash C1 Oil the number is ( WSS M2C 934B )this number is not mentioned in the Handbook and dealer's were using the 913 B oil which is good enough for the engine but not for a x type with a DPFILTER.I buy a service kit and oil ( WSS M2C 934B C1 Low Ash) and get my local garage to do the service. Members are maybe having problems now with their DPFilter's due to dealer's not using a C1 Low Ash Oil.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If there is one thing you do to your Jag every year, that is have it properly serviced. Changing pollen, air and fuel filters (on a diesel) is an easy job and for those willing to get their hands a little more dirty, changing the oil and oil filter is also straight forward. Use only top quality parts and correct spec oil. The pleasure in doing it yourself is that you know it has all been done correctly and the significant cost saving. For those that either aren't able or willing, find a good and trusted Jag indie to do the job for you. Regular servicing is essential and will keep these cars going on forever.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I service mine twice a year, and always write the date on the filters(not the oil, obviously) Fortunately I have a 2.0d, so no dreaded DPF, but always use premium fuel, adding some voodoo juice as well( 2EHN + 2 stroke) every other fill, runs quietly & sweet as a nut.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my firast x type 6yrs ago with 99k on the clock, local jag main stealer forgot to change the brake fluid at 100k..!
next service I used a different jag main stealer, they 'made up' so many problems that didnt exist and were shocked when I said no to the extra work.... Third dealer was a jag specialst and just as big a crook as the others.

i have been using my local small ford dealer, they have been around a long time in a small town, the service dept are car enthusiasts and love my x type, appreciate its more than just a Mondeo and to be honest love noticing which parts are the same and which ones are 'jag spec'.

They help me when I ring them with a grumbling grinding wheeel bearing and I went straight in for a replacement.

I shall be taking the new one there and no doubt they will tell me about the low ash oil...!

The other plus side of using them for me is that when selling the car, with 178k on the clock, It has a full main dealer service history, maybe this looks better than say Halfoolds or kwickfit in the service book.

steve

·
Registered
274 Posts
Glad I don't have a DPF - my partner's L200 DPF went a few months ago, and isn't a readily available part, so ended up costing £2600 at the dealer to get it sorted (we needed it back on the road asap).

With regular servicing the only bigger problems I've had with the X have been purely wear and tear of a 13 year old car (alternator tensioner, sills, rear carrier arm). Always used indy garages too. Last service cost £140, and the previous was £100, plus another couple of hundred to replace the alternator tensioner and weld the sills, which I'm fairly happy with.

However, when I recently replaced the battery the CD changer jammed. I then removed the changer and fecked it trying to fix it! Oh well, at least I added blu-tooth for music!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Im glad i don't have the dpf version either, my friends car had a dpf, which failed though, so we just cut it open emptied it all out welded it back together and put it back on the car. passed its emissions with flying colours

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.