Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the change was made from 350 to 358, what were the equipment and specification changes?
I’m aware of the body/wheel/engine ones but I’m thinking more of standard equipment and options etc?

·
Registered
548 Posts
The JEC magazine covered this in 2007 i do not know if their archive of previous issues is on line but it said there were over 500( hope i have that right)!! differences between the 358 and 350.( I know that does not help much) April2007(vol 23 no4).
Heated front screen became standard
across the range , as were heated front seats,Cat suspension, automatic speed limiter. Sat nav an option on the Exec model was standard on Sovereign spec . The XJR had aluminium finish power vents ( rather than body coloured) Black painted brake callipers and also cooling on front seats as standard. There were also six additional new colour finshes available :" Emerald Fire, Pearl grey, Botanical Green, Crystal Blue Vapour grey and Azure Blue"

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I don't recognise 'Crystal Blue'.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good information that doesn't seem freely available short of buying a series of range brochures off Ebay!

I was hoping for something like this in the buying guide (by Richard Thorley?) but most of it was fairly useless rudimentary advice for beginners about buying any car rather than detailed comparisons between XJ models and years which seems to be what many people are crying out for.

I'm certainly one of them; I could do with knowing if the range of otherwise improvements in 2007 is worth turning a blind eye to the unsightly bumpers!

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,370 Posts
I may be wrong, I’ll grab a cup of tea while I wait for the confirmation, but I have a June 2005 X350 and the interior switches and layout of components seems to be the same as the X358 so more than likely same electrical wiring etc. With that in mind if I’m right, you could get a late X350 if you don’t like the chunky bumper look

·
Registered
548 Posts
Does the x358 really have different seats to increase rear legroom compared with the x350?
I have seen this stated in a couple of places but I don't see it myself.
Yes the seats, front seat design was changed to give slightly increased leg room to rear seat passengers, however the difference is not that huge

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,370 Posts
It would be interesting to do a side by side to see if the changes can be confirmed

·
Registered
548 Posts
Glenn ,
If You are talking about the front seats the change is visible it relates to the way the rear of the front seat is designed and you can see clearly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apart from all those changes you all mentioned, I read somewhere that on the 358 Jaguar secretly improved the quality of certain components that on the 350 seemed to have an unusual short life, such as the suspension compressor, bushes, electric system, certain automatic gearbox components, and other stuff. I say secretly because Jaguar was not interested in making public that those changes had taken place, because it would be like saying that the 350 was not as good as they claimed.
I personally do not blame them, because engineers cannot foresee everything and usually the first units of any given model suffer from problems that can only be noticed after two or three years. That was one of the main reason why I decided to go for the 358 instead of the 350. I had read all kind of problems about bushes lasting too little, electrical gremlins that came out of nowhere, compressor gasketts that wore too soon, etc.
I do not know if I am right, but my 358 has 130.000 Km and does not suffer from any of those problems that seem to be relatively common with the 350.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whilst the X358 restyle is not to my taste, would it seem I am in a minority as the later cars leap up in price on the used market, especially low mileage examples? I'm thinking of a radiance red 49k 06 Sovereign that sold for £9.5k whereas there is a similar X358 only 2 years younger up for a strong £14k.

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,370 Posts
Whilst the X358 restyle is not to my taste, would it seem I am in a minority as the later cars leap up in price on the used market, especially low mileage examples? I'm thinking of a radiance red 49k 06 Sovereign that sold for £9.5k whereas there is a similar X358 only 2 years younger up for a strong £14k.
I suppose it's all down to personal taste, but I'm not so enamoured with the big bumper look.
It's the same as any car though, face lifted versions are associated with improvements so do go for more

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes the previous post wasint eresting about perceived changes in quality under the skin, but I'm 50/50 on that kind of mind game. Would it make people think that the old car was naff? More likely if a manufacturer spends 2p improving a car they trumpet it from the rooftops.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
motor manufacturer in the main do things only when they have to....

regarding the seat changes - I'm convinced that was regulatory. The Seat strength Directive changed around then

the brakes were changed from the wholeheartedly crap Brembo to a much more reliable Alfred Teves design. The main cause being "knock-back"

and somewhere in the mix, there was a change to double-glazing

·
Registered
681 Posts
The worst thing about the x350 seat design is that they put so much of the mechanism and motors at the rear of the front seat that if you sit in the back you can't slide you feet under the front seat in front of you.

The problem isn't lack of knee room, but the fact that there's not enough gap between the front seat and the floor.

Did they change that at all on the x358?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The worst thing about the x350 seat design is that they put so much of the mechanism and motors at the rear of the front seat that if you sit in the back you can't slide you feet under the front seat in front of you.

The problem isn't lack of knee room, but the fact that there's not enough gap between the front seat and the floor.

Did they change that at all on the x358?
Hi Philip.

Surely that's dependent on the front seat height adjustment?
I'm 6'1" and my seat is pretty low to the ground (I hate my hair touching cloth).
I've never had a passenger complain about leg-room.
In fact, my X308 was a LWB and I'm near certain this model is almost as long in standard form (inside).

I do share your concern though - getting a vacuum under there is a b***h.

Phil.

·
Premium Member
2016 Autobiography
2,370 Posts
motor manufacturer in the main do things only when they have to....

regarding the seat changes - I'm convinced that was regulatory. The Seat strength Directive changed around then

the brakes were changed from the wholeheartedly crap Brembo to a much more reliable Alfred Teves design. The main cause being "knock-back"

and somewhere in the mix, there was a change to double-glazing
I may be wrong but my 2005 X350 has double glazing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.