XF 2nd generation vs xf 1st generation face lift- what are the major differences?

bladest

Reaction score
Hi i am looking for getting either XF 2nd generation used or 1st one face lift or before face lift what are the major differences car will be diesel which is the best option is it 3.0 litre or ?
i want the most reliable engine and less problems,
is there any major issues with 2nd generation and in terms of equipment what more you receive in 2nd generation?

Please someone clarify.

MrKis

Reaction score
The X260 is all aluminium and an all new car in 2015. Facelifted just now for 2021my.
Some people say the older car (X250) is quieter and a touch more refined.
The ingenium diesels 2015+ 2.0 4 cylinders don't seem to be that troublesome, although, there have been a few members recently with what seems like a complete failure. The three cases I have heard of, were a loss of compression but as Jaguar don't sell the pistons or rings, you need a new engine. All cars were near 100k miles or so. If the rate of failure was high, then I'm sure we would of heard more on this forum.
Not heard of an ingenium petrol failing.
The V6 has been around much longer and whilst there have been failures, parts are more available for rebuilds and we know that the failure rate is very low.
It will also be a smoother and more powerful engine.
There's not enough evidence to say that any of the engines should be avoided for fear of a big failure. I would avoid leaving 20k mile gaps between services. True of any car.
Failed door locks are a common issue but they can be repaired with little cost or replaced fairly easily.
Some years suffer from water in the front or rear junction boxes. Easy enough to mitigate against. Check them before you buy and then apply the cheap fixes to stop the water getting in. (slam vents and washer pump wicking).
Some of the sat nav units are not getting updates anymore, mainly the smaller units.
They aren't unreliable cars really.

Last edited:

Graham1

Reaction score
Hi I sold my 2014 3.0D portfolio S a couple of months ago and bought the newer 66 plate 3.0s. There are quite s few difference. I have driven several of the newer aluminium ones and they are all noisier, the new ones don’t seem to have as much soundproofing. The previous version also has a much more upmarket interior with more leather and much more comfortable seats. You also now don’t get the same options as standard anymore. The portfolios used to come as standard with chilled seats and the meridian surround system but now they are expensive option. The problem with the older ones though is absolutely no software support from Jaguar. Even though Here, the company who make the sat nav updates still produce them Jaguar last got an update from them in 2018 with the map data collected third quarter of 2017. There is Apple/Android fix available though. Best whole tank average on mine was last summer 48.6 mpg. Be aware can belts on the 3.0 L is 70000 miles or every 7 years. IMHO the 3.0 L is fantastic. The newer ones have a lot of tech but I’m having quite a few glitches with my InControl touch pro. Hope any of this helps

MrKis

Reaction score
Aluminium cars can suffer from noise traveling along the box section structures. Steel cars don't use as much of this type of construction structure.
It might not be cost cutting from Jaguar, rather investment, in an all aluminium architecture. Which has certain characteristics.

Graham1

Reaction score
Maybe but I’d rather have my car quieter than it is. I’m looking to have mine soundproofed later in the year as I have to keep this for a couple of years now I’ve bought it.

MrKis

Reaction score
Would be good to try a brand new one and see if they are quieter. Then you'd have to find out what has changed of course.

Trooper

Reaction score
I'm well pleased with my XF which are shod with Goodyear Asymmetric 3 on 18 inch alloys, and when we could Carrie passengers they always commented on how quiet it was.

Graham1

Reaction score
I’ve driven a 69 plate loan car and it was just the same. I did find that the Asymmetric 3’s are a very quiet tyre