Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a way or if there is, a benefit to encoding MP3 tracks, onto CD's that will take advantage of the 320 Watt Premium Sound System in the Premium Luxury?
I.e. to give a "surround sound" experience, to make use of the sub-woofer, rear speakers, etc.

Mainly for the driver and front passanger?

Could MP3's be encoded to give a virtual surround sound for the front seat users, with the rear speakers acting as surround?

Or does the Jag system already emulate this sort of thing using standand MP3 encoding.

Maybe can convert into another format first to get a surround sound feel, then convert to MP3 to burn to CD's.

Would be interested to hear of any thoughts on this idea please, as I do not have the B&W System (as you can tell!).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I have done some "Googling" and have found an MP3 Converter that will encode MP3's (must be in a certain format) to create a virtual surround sound effect. When I played converted files on my laptop with stereo speakers the sound seemed to be "surround". However, when I burned the converted MP3's to a CD and played it in the car, it did not seem to give the same effect. So I suspect more investigation is required, unless it is my ears! It may be that the effect of surround sound is best with only two stereo speakers and not the multi speaker set up in a car.

For those that are interested, search for MP3 SX Converter, it is by Fraunhofer (who invented the MP3 format).
If you want to get the source MP3's into the correct format before converting with SX, use "Super" (Google it) and make sure that you convert to 41000 Hz and 192bps MAX. (The source MP3 will not be recognised by MP3 SX if it is not in the correct format).

Please report back if you get it to work in your car better than I seem to have, so far!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that te file is being played as "surround" on the laptop through WinAmp, as this player has the capability to play Surround encoded MP3 files, so it seems that the surround effect will only be heard if the player supports the encoding. So i think that this method will not work in the car. Unless I can find a different way..........

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that te file is being played as "surround" on the laptop through WinAmp, as this player has the capability to play Surround encoded MP3 files, so it seems that the surround effect will only be heard if the player supports the encoding. So i think that this method will not work in the car. Unless I can find a different way..........

Maybe able to play in the car with a dedicated player that includes WinAmp with the surround decoding capability through the "Aux in" socket... Maybe something on android or iTunes????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.