Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appear to have an issue with low bass and Sub-Woofer sound when playing MP3 CD's. (may just be my ears though).
Is there a "reference" track or MP3 file that could be burned to a CD to test that all speakers are functioning correctly?
Something like a test on a home surround sound amp that plays white noise in turn through each speaker?

Also, where is the sub woofer located in a 2008 XF? Maybe the wires are broken?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
On my XJ with the 320W sound system I also had the same concern.
Took it to the dealer under warranty and they tested it with a reference CD they and it was found to be OK as far as the test was concerned even though they could hear a dull thud from the sub.
Focal speakers would transform the sound like they did on my X Type with the 320w system but can live with it at the moment.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
MP3's can be terrible for affecting the sound.

If you're looking for a reference or test track, then

- Any modern, well-produced recording. From a big label, since the "digital age" which I guess is around the early 90's?
- Forget about MP3's (the extreme compression turns tracks to mud at high volume)
- Original or direct 1:1 copies of CD's only (burning MP3's to CD's won't be any better)

Think about this, a true digital recording, like on an original cd has a sampling rate of >1200kbps.
MP3's might have 128kbps, and the better ones 320kbps.
So you've lost anywhere between 70% & 90% of the original recording through the compression.

To test your speakers just play with the balance & fader, then you can isolate each speaker & listen to it.

BTW my personal recommendation to see if a sound system is "up for it" would be an original cd of Metallica's Black album.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bloody Hell, Metallica! that would blow the speakers out :)
I know that MP3's are not for "Audiophiles" and may not be the best format, but you can get a lot of tracks onto a CD and thus with 6 CD's in the autochanger makes for a good selection "jukebox".
I like a wide selection of Music, from The Nice, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Neil Young, The Cure, Queen, The Beatles, The Stones, Television, Tom Verlaine, Be Bop Deluxe, Bill Nelson, Kate Bush, Paloma Faith, British Sea Power, the list goes on...... and on.......

I am currently creating some MP3 discs at 320 kbps, which I know is not the "same" as CD quality, but in a car? Surely there cannot be much percievable difference between 320 kbps and the original CD. I know that there is a difference, but not that in a car you could hear. Maybe with top spec kit and reference headphones maybe.
But MP3 encoding strips out the high/low sounds that you cannot hear, also it removes low volume sound that is masked by higher volume sounds, so "tricking" the ears into hearing the original recording (nearly).

I think I will stick to 320 kbps MP3 for now, and will try out the balance fade idea above. I have now set all audio controls to their middle points and will try adjusting them up/down to see if I can "test" the Bass/Sub Woofer sound output. Pass me the Metallica CD, the ear plugs and new windows for my XF!

Thinking about it there must be a "sound effect" CD (or MP3 file) that would be good for a test, something like the THX Surround Sound intro that are found on some DVD's? Looks like another trip to Google.........

I think now that i know more about the XF, I wish I had the extra cash for the B&W system, maybe next time.........

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have a CD called "Bass MTX" that I got from a mate years ago, it's basically techno house music with a focus on bass, for those types who like to drive around making lots of noise and being anti-social. The music is crap but it'll give your subwoofer a workout!

·
Registered
17,905 Posts
It's all very nice having Metallica and other CD's but the only one Jaguar go off is their own reference CD if claiming for faulty speakers under warranty.I have a couple of Metallica CD's an AC/DC CD and a very bassy intro on one of Stings songs all to no avail when trying to claim from Jag.Funnily enough at the time a number of US owners also talking about poor bass quality on their Jag premium speakers also at the time (2010).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Where is the sub-woofer in a 2008 XF?
Does it have a volume control on it?

I did read somewhere (I think it was on a USA XF Forum), that 2009MY XF's (some of them!) had a recall for woofer connectors, so maybe this is the issue? It could be that there are more out there (including mine) that suffer from this. Maybe it has broken connectors????

Sorry, red herring:
Found it:

JAGUAR IS RECALLING 3,754 MY 2009 XF VEHICLES FOR INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SPEAKER FUNCTION PROBLEMS. THE SPEAKER WIRES MAY FRACTURE. AS A RESULT, THE SPEAKER WILL CEASE TO OPERATE.

Consequence

IF THE SPEAKER FAILS, THE FOLLOWING AUDIBLE NOTIFICATIONS ARE IMPACTED: TURN INDICATOR, SEAT BELT WARNING, LIGHTS 'ON' WARNING, DRIVER'S DOOR OPEN WITH KEY IN IGNITION, DRIVER INTERVENE (ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL VEHICLES ONLY) AND SEAT MEMORY. THE AUDIBLE SEAT BELT WARNING IS TO REMIND DRIVERS TO WEAR THEIR SAFETY BELT. IF THE AUDIBLE WARNING IS NOT PRESENT, DRIVERS MAY NEGLECT TO WEAR THEIR SAFETY BELT, THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.

But how do you get at the woofer in the car?

I have also read of some people changing their sub-woofers to ones that are situated in the boot spare tyre well and vastly improving the bass sound. Apparently this is quite easy to do??????

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found this, but i think that it is for a face lift model, or a B&W Audio System:

Item Wire Color Polarity Wire Location

Radio 12V yellow/red + radio, lt. gray 14 pin plug, pin 1

Radio Ground black - radio, lt. gray 14 pin plug, pin 8

Radio Ignition (MS CAN)

Radio Illumination (MS CAN)

Factory Amp Turn-on (MOST bus)

Power Antenna yellow/green + radio, lt. gray 14 pin plug, pin 2

Left Front Speaker (+/-) white - white/brown +,- radio, gray 12 pin plug, pins 6 and 12

Right Front Speaker (+/-) white/purple - white/orange +,- radio, gray 12 pin plug, pins 1 and 7

Left Rear Speaker (+/-) white/green - brown/yellow +,- radio, gray 12 pin plug, pins 3 and 9

Right Rear Speaker (+/-) brown/white - brown/blue +,- radio, gray 12 pin plug, pins 4 and 10

Center Channel (+/-) green - gray/yellow +,- amplifier, lt. gray 10 pin plug, pins 8 and 3

Subwoofer (+/-) purple/grn - green/wht (1); wht/brn - pur/org (2) +,- amplifier, green 16 pin plug, pins 16 and 8; 10 and 2

Aux. Audio Input Left (+/-) blue - yellow/green +,- radio, lt. gray 14 pin plug, pins 10 and 11

Aux. Audio Input Right (+/-) blue/green - yellow/green +,- radio, lt. gray 14 pin plug, pins 12 and 11

RSE Video (+/-) yellow/gray - (shield) (TV receiver video input) +,- touch screen display, 2 pin plug, pins 1 and 2

RSE Audio Left (+/-) (MOST bus)

RSE Audio Right (+/-) (MOST bus)

Satellite Radio 12 Volts white/red + SDARS Module, black 2 pin plug, pin 1

Satellite Radio Ground black - SDARS Module, black 2 pin plug, pin 2

Satellite Radio Ignition (MOST bus)

Satellite Radio Antenna (coaxial cable)

Satellite Audio Left (+/-) (MOST bus)

Satellite Audio Right (+/-) (MOST bus)

What Fits

Item Size Depth Location

Headunit irregular center of dash

Left Front Speaker left front door

Left Front Tweeter left front door

Right Front Speaker right front door

Right Front Tweeter right front door

Left Rear Speaker left rear door

Left Rear Tweeter left rear door (tweeter), rear deck (surround)

Right Rear Speaker right rear door

Right Rear Tweeter right rear door (tweeter), rear deck (surround)

Center Channel top center of dash

Subwoofer spare tire well

Left Front Headrest

Right Front Headrest

Left Rear Headrest

Right Rear Headrest

Satellite Radio Tuner under driver seat

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, using a programme called "Goldwave" which is brilliant, I have created the following test files (adding bass boost and Concert hall effects) and will burn to a CD and test each one to see which one I like best with all audio controls at "normal" - centralised.
I will report back my thoughts.
I have used what I think represents a good wide range of frequencies in one 5 min song. (I don't have time to do this with Supper's Ready!)
I may "convert" some more tracks to my preference once i have tested these options.

All at 320kbps MP3
A4 - Can-Utility and the Coastliners BOOST BASS PANARAMIC EQ
A4 - Can-Utility and the Coastliners BOOST BASS Normal EQ
A4 - Can-Utility and the Coastliners CONCERT HALL Reverb
A4 - Can-Utility and the Coastliners CONCERT HALL Reverb and BASS BOOST Panaramic eq

A4 - Can-Utility and the Coastliners (Original 320kbps MP3 file) taken from WAV file of Vinyl box 2008. (Genesis - Foxtrot 1972)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As recommended above by Wilf, I tried this test tone, it suggests to me that all frequecies (including bass/woofer) are being delivered in my car. So all looks good.

Online Low Frequency Response and Subwoofer Sound Test

I think a lot has to be said for using the highest bit rate possible. In my case 320kbps MP3 disc's to compromise between quantity of tracks and their quality.
I have now re burned some of my Favourite Albums at the above bit rate, averaging approx 5 original CD's onto one MP3 disc. Thus with 6 CD Auto changer gives approx. 30 CD's of music. This will keep me going for a while.........

I set all audio settings to their centre position on the touch screen when trying out the audio test file and I must say that the bass was BOOMING out at approx 25% volume level!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
JAGUAR IS RECALLING 3,754 MY 2009 XF VEHICLES FOR INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SPEAKER FUNCTION PROBLEMS....

....THE AUDIBLE SEAT BELT WARNING IS TO REMIND DRIVERS TO WEAR THEIR SAFETY BELT. IF THE AUDIBLE WARNING IS NOT PRESENT, DRIVERS MAY NEGLECT TO WEAR THEIR SAFETY BELT, THEREBY INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.
Hello America! :confused:

As Murphy's Lawyer said, anyone who can be sued, will be sued....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.