Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, just a quick thread, we have a new addition to the family, the X type has been replaced after all I'm afraid

Sad to see her go, but time for a change. It's been an absolute roller coaster this past few weeks on this journey, more specifically the last week or so.

Tress knew we were getting a new car, but, crucially only expected something a little newer to potter around in for the next year or two, I had other plans and came up with a few ideas.
There were so many involved from my daughter, auld auntie, my sons, the dealer, Welshboa (massive thanks) Ian D and more, to make the surprise go off without a hitch, absolutely went according to plan and couldn't have been better

It's an XF-R Sport 2.0d in Ammonite Grey with black interior on a 17 plate with a little over 42k miles and looks great, she loves it and is over the moon, see advert pics below.

There's a massive story to go with it, the buying process, issues, delays and keeping the surprise from Tress ( the lengths we went too!! )

Unfortunately and as part of the process, my car is FUBAR'd, or at least it feels like that, I'll post more later

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

I'll fill this story out in the coming days or when I get a little more time and share with you all
Start of story below...

Ok, so here's the full back story to this car.....I'll try and give the full story, but condensed as far as possible.

Started looking early June, decided it was time for a change, as I said several months ago. It was always going to be a 2nd car, a good runabout with low miles etc etc, probably around £8k thereabouts, and that's what she started looking for.
In the meantime I saw this really nice 2017 XF-R Sport with only 42k miles on the clock that looked awesome, chatted to the salesman and actually paid the £500 deposit to hold the car at that point.

Then began the cat and mouse game of phone calls, no return phone calls, emails sent, not replied too for a day or so etc etc. This began 05th June and the proposed pick up was the next Sunday13th June, this didn't happen.

I was advised that the car needed M.o.t'd and some work as below
1. Car was due its 2nd service (NOT just an oil change I butted in, oil, fuel, air and pollen filter) to which he said yes
2. There were a couple of minor marks on the alloys, so all 4 being refurbished
3. A couple of small dings on drivers side door and fuel cap area were to be pulled out, dealt with
4. A scuff on both front n rear bumper, to be repainted.

I checked the last M.o.t myself and found it had an advisory for rear brake pads low and said I expected them to be changed too, they actually changed rear pads and discs, so can't fault them on that.

As an approved used car it came with a full 12 months Jaguar warranty and 24/7 roadside assistance of course

I got a message re the car on 10.06.21 saying there were other works required I had asked about the engine mounts and exhaust damper)
The extra works to be carried out at their costs were as below...
  • Oil Piston Cooler
  • NOx Sensor
  • Ad Blue Injector
  • Tyre & Inflation Kit
  • O/S Front ABS Sensor
  • Both Engine Mounts
  • Rear Exhaust Damper
I told them to crack on. my thoughts are better to have a car with those issues already paid for and sorted than buying a car that age / miles with these issues still to come to light to be dealt with.

In the meantime, Tress is looking at cars, talking bout cars, asking about cars night n day, almost went n bought one herself :eek::eek:

I wanted it to be a surprise and had already chatted to the dealer about it, I wanted to come in on another matter, she would come in later and the car would be there with her plates on, SURPRISE!!
That was the plan.

A few problems came to light, least of all communications with the dealer, my sister coming up from Stoke for a long weekend THAT weekend, the Scotland match and more that I had to work around.
I decided that after many phone calls between my aunt / sister / dealer / daughter and more that I would go ahead on the following plan.

We would drive down to my sisters on the Friday night, watch Scotland beat England there, then leave early doors Saturday morning to head to Cardiff for a "Spa weekend" but in reality, to collect the car.
We do this quite a bit from time to time in any event so would seem unusual, so I made some fake Itison vouchers and hotel booking forms, see below

We'd be staying at Brynn Meadows in Caerphilly ( we've been before and she loved it ) for the weekend, All singing, all dancing, BBEM afternoon teas, 55 minute massage sessions, sauna, jacuzzi, pool etc etc.
I surprised her with this on the Thursday and she went mental, very very pleased and excited to have a break, especially as my aunt had paid for her and my sister to come too, was going to be great, she packed at around 1am that morning lol.

The plan was set, the dealership was told NOT to phone me on Saturday morning.
When we would arrive at the dealership ( I was calling there to see Rob, a mate off the forum to collect a special one off drivers side car mat for my car - after all it was only 10 minutes from the hotel ) I would enter ( with the haggis for Rob lol ) and then call Tress.

At this point, auld auntie would feign being unwell and needing to use the facilities and asking Tress to go with her, which she did

Before any of this happened, I had enlisted the help of one certain Welsh member (Welshboa - Andrew ) and he would call, in his best Welsh Wales accent pretending to be from the hotel, confirming our reservation.
When he called, it was all I could do not to laugh as Mr Richard Llewelyn went through our bookings, very professionally I might add, Tress listening all the time, soaking it in lol.

We arrived at the dealers and parked up, wait here I said, I'll only be 5 minutes, pass that haggis over please, and off I went.
Meanwhile sis says to Tress, in an exasperated voice, why are we here again?
Tress - Oh dunno, here to pick up some bloody car mats for his car, moan, moan, grumble moan lol.

More to follow....

Cheers
Jim

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm now in the dealership, speaking to Laura who asks are you mr Campbell with a cheeky grin on her face, yes I am I say, handing her haggis and asking her to dispose of it, she looks confused.

I go out and say that Robs busy with a customer and may be another 10 minutes or so (sounding annoyed as we're running late)
Auld auntie plays her card and off they go to use the facilities, with me following.
Meantime I'd spoken to Laura who showed me the car outside, all shiny and looking a million dollars, complete with T15 ESS on the front plate at least.

Tress, sis and auntie come out and I say, lets go outside and have a cig whilst we're waiting at which point Tress asks me for her jacket.
Its in the car, here's the keys go and get it..

She has to walk past the front of the new car and away she goes, tired, ambling along and looks to the right, catches sight of the car briefly, looks away, looks again, looks away then quickly turns to face the car.
She turns in horror to me to tell me that there's a car there and it has her plate on it, how could that be?

Cue me, my sister and aunt all smiling and laughing, I have it all, mostly on video and watched it a few times already, so so funny.

She didn't even cause a fuss because there no actual Spa weekend break with masseurs etc etc (which I was amazed at) she was more amazed that sister and auntie had come down to see her get the car and play a part, happy, smiling and giggling like a teenage girl lol
She didn't even baulk at the 400 mile return trip and got out as fresh as a daisy, love, love, loving the car even more.
Here's the cut down, brief edited version

Thanks to Stratstone Jaguar Cardiff, specifically Laura and James, Ian D for the few chats we had about the XF and a massive thanks to Andrew (Welshboa) for his part that he played so well, I owe you big time.

Now I only have to get the insurance changed over, get the plates on the car, insure auld aunties car for this year, prep the X type for sale and get it sold and then try and fix my broken XJ.
It's all going on.............

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Well done in getting the XF, very nice looking and that's a great Colour i wonder why i think that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like a good swap, an XF-R for Tress!!:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must have enough brownie points to last until new year now Jim well done and nice car
They'll last maybe a week or so Payno lol
Well done in getting the XF, very nice looking and that's a great Colour i wonder why i think that.
Thought you might like it Tom, we were paying a little attention to yours on the meet if you remember?
I was trying to play it cool as the car was more or less already bought at that point

Looks nice Jim! I look forward to this thread developing as your others have. I hope the news/luck turns a better corner too!
Thanks Nick, appreciate the comments, fingers crossed on the luck front too
Sounds like a good swap, an XF-R for Tress!!:ROFLMAO:
She definitely thinks so David, don't get me wrong, she loved the X type and will miss her, but now so much in love with her new ride.
You know the way it goes.....
he must have been a very naughty Jim. Nice to see you are back Jim hope all is good.
Love the new Car great colour combo too I am sure she is thrilled.
Cheers John, me naughty? never lol
Over the moon is the phrase used currently
Very nice ca. Looks to be in superb condition.
Thanks ah2k21

Jim

Reactions: payno

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
12,059 Posts
I trust that the DPF works better on the XF! Good job on getting one without chrome, saves you changing it all.

Lucky girl - did you part-ex her old one, or sell before you went?

I'm surprised that you signed up for a driveway full of non-matching colour cars. Nothing in Ultimate Black catch your eye?

(I'll bet she is looking forward to the turquoise calipers!)

I don't suppose that anyone has mentioned that your sig is woefully out of date.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Filled out the back story / story in post 1 and 2

Now back to normality of sorts

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jim

Lovely looking beast, welcome to the XF family ;)
Thanks Taffy, appreciate it mate, no doubt I'll be catching up with you and all the other XF guys at some point and picking your brains (y)

I trust that the DPF works better on the XF! Good job on getting one without chrome, saves you changing it all.

Lucky girl - did you part-ex her old one, or sell before you went?

I'm surprised that you signed up for a driveway full of non-matching colour cars. Nothing in Ultimate Black catch your eye?

(I'll bet she is looking forward to the turquoise calipers!)

I don't suppose that anyone has mentioned that your sig is woefully out of date.
Hi Mac, probably not I'd imagine unfortunately, but a yes on the black pack and less chrome
The X type will be up for sale shortly, no part ex
I'm laughing at your colour matching, THAT was the first thing on my mind and I was only interested in Santorini black cars, until this one swayed me lol
Maybe red or silver on the calipers, unsure yet.
Thanks for the heads up reminder on the sig, just so much going on at the moment and more to do, would you please remind me again in about 2 weeks as I want to get it done of course ;)

Jim

·
Registered
675 Posts
Brilliant Jim. I'm sure she and yourself will love driving the car.

Reactions: JimC64

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I was dreading one of us starting to chuckle during the phone call and it all going to pieces.

Doing a bit of prep in readiness for the call even found a video on YouTube of "Hotel lobby background noise" which I played as made the call. Thankfully Tress couldn't have picked out the sheer number of Spaniards in the "Hotel lobby" chattering away!

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brilliant Jim. I'm sure she and yourself will love driving the car.
She's lovin it for sure, I haven't even been behind the wheel as yet.
I was dreading one of us starting to chuckle during the phone call and it all going to pieces.

Doing a bit of prep in readiness for the call even found a video on YouTube of "Hotel lobby background noise" which I played as made the call. Thankfully Tress couldn't have picked out the sheer number of Spaniards in the "Hotel lobby" chattering away!
Lol me too, trying to keep a straight face wasn't easy. I've resolved to use you for all my Welsh based pranks moving forward though!
Jim

·
Registered
703 Posts
The new XF is a lovely colour Jim... I think you should change your XJ so you have a matching pair again 😉

Reactions: WelshBoa and JimC64

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that was a fantastic story - I loved every minute of it!

So pleased for you Jim; and so please for Tress and her new car. It's a beauty!

So lovely that you went to all that effort to surprise her, I think that's wonderful!
Lol thanks Chris, the sort of thing I could see you doing.

She's a beauty (the car) and Tress loves her, over the moon and that's all that matters.
Nice to see you around Chris, hope you n your brood are all doing well?

The new XF is a lovely colour Jim... I think you should change your XJ so you have a matching pair again 😉
Thanks Paul, appreciate the comments, but that's a big fat NO lol

As MacD mentioned earlier, I was actually set on a Santorini / Ultimate black version as they'd make a great pair on the driveway.

I saw this though and fell in love and said to myself, really, get a grip (or words to that effect)

Jim

·
Administrator
9,868 Posts
Glad it all went well Jim and the dealer properly sorted every single common fault on the ingenium diesel for you, now you’re part of the XF section. :cool:

Hope you get many happy miles out of it.

1 - 20 of 308 Posts