XF Sportbrake Wheels

Jagk

Reaction score
I prefer my wheels to look the same on both sides off the car, and you might be looking at Diamond Cut Alloys they certainly look good when new and they seem to be very popular just now, but after one of two years corrosion will set in behind the Lacquer and they'll look terrible, some member's have had there Diamond Cut Alloys Powder Coated and i've powder coated the wheels on our Clio.
Looks like I've got some research to do

Neilr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Have Donated !
Reaction score
Handling is a wide term. Lower profile tyres of similar standard will usually provide more direct steering. But lower profile on bigger wheels often means wider wheels, so you end up with wider tyres. Wider, stiffer tyres may well have a little more grip and so also result in slightly shorter braking distances but the differences are not usually massive.

Bigger wheels are heavier, so give the suspension more to control and may fail to do so in some circumstances so you will lose some grip at times. Low profile tyres usually have a narrower limit, so even though they might grip better, they may let go more suddenly when you get to that limit. Wider tyres aquaplane more easily. Wider and larger diameter tyres are more expensive, sometimes significantly so.

Car engineers will say that the best ride and handling compromise is achieved with the smallest and lightest wheels. But marketing will say that the bigger the better, especially if it is an expensive optional extra :)

In general, bigger wheels do look better until you get to the point that you have over done it! Only go for bigger wheels if you fancy it. In driving terms, there are more cons than pros but they do look good :)

Jagk

Reaction score
Handling is a wide term. Lower profile tyres of similar standard will usually provide more direct steering. But lower profile on bigger wheels often means wider wheels, so you end up with wider tyres. Wider, stiffer tyres may well have a little more grip and so also result in slightly shorter braking distances but the differences are not usually massive.

Bigger wheels are heavier, so give the suspension more to control and may fail to do so in some circumstances so you will lose some grip at times. Low profile tyres usually have a narrower limit, so even though they might grip better, they may let go more suddenly when you get to that limit. Wider tyres aquaplane more easily. Wider and larger diameter tyres are more expensive, sometimes significantly so.

Car engineers will say that the best ride and handling compromise is achieved with the smallest and lightest wheels. But marketing will say that the bigger the better, especially if it is an expensive optional extra :)

In general, bigger wheels do look better until you get to the point that you have over done it! Only go for bigger wheels if you fancy it. In driving terms, there are more cons than pros but they do look good :)
Really good info thanks, and you're definitely right from a marketing/expensive options point of view.

I may compromise and go for 19s not 20 so bang in the middle 😀

NM_OLD

Reaction score
If you want to push the boat out how about some of these?

Jagk

Reaction score
If you want to push the boat out how about some of these?
Any website which doesn't include the price on normally means they are too expensive for me 😁