XF Tow Arm Removal

8bit

Reaction score
Our recently-acquired XF S Sportbrake came with a tow hook fitted. It's Jaguar branded but one of the stickers underneath says it's made by Thule. It looks like it should be detachable and we have the removable section of the lower bumper valance in the boot of the car. For the life of me I can't seem to remove the hook itself. Did a bit of Google searching and found something that suggests that I need to insert and turn the key to unlock it, then push the handle on the right in towards the hook and rotate and then the hook should simply come away. I can only seem to rotate the handle downwards by maybe 20 degrees though and the hook still feels firmly attached. Anyone got any further advice?

Billy2Jags

Reaction score
Looks like it's not moved for a while so a good soak with Plus Gas should help.
The window will change to green when it's unlocked, the red indicates it's in the locked position.

swallow

Reaction score
Looks like it's not moved for a while so a good soak with Plus Gas should help.
The window will change to green when it's unlocked, the red indicates it's in the locked position.
I had exactly the same when I bought my xf sportbrake in June..The key should be horizontal(I think)when unlocked.push the knob in towards the hitch and then turn the knob down,Lift the hitch slightly whilst pulling it out.Sounds easy,but mine was solid!!.I ended up removing the holder that the hitch goes into.quite easy to remove,3 bolts and the hitch and receiver can be removed from the tow bar.You can then hold it in a vice and then use wd40 or penetrating oil.My tow hitch was manufactured by Brink which I believe was taken over by Thule.Hope you manage to get the hitch off

8bit

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I did see those three nuts and bolts and had a go at one of them with a long breaker bar but it seems very tight so I assumed that probably wasn't the easy/correct way to go about moving it. I'll put a good dose of plusgas on the hook, receiver and nuts and have another try. I hadn't considered trying the key horizontally either, just tried in both of the vertical positions. Will report back later.

8bit

Reaction score
Thanks again. I had another quick try at this, holding the key around horizontal/halfway through it's 180 degrees of rotation, didn't seem to make any difference. How far should the handle rotate, once unlocked with the key and pushed inwards?

swallow

Reaction score
Thanks again. I had another quick try at this, holding the key around horizontal/halfway through it's 180 degrees of rotation, didn't seem to make any difference. How far should the handle rotate, once unlocked with the key and pushed inwards?
It should turn approximately 90degs,I see in your photo that the red is showing meaning the hitch is not locked in ,The hitch should be free to come out,if it’s not rusted in.On the hitch itself there is a latch that is pulled down when the knob is turned.The latch might be stuck,This is why I removed the holder,you can then tap the end of the latch down with a drift

8bit

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Mine doesn't rotate anywhere near 90 degrees, maybe 30 at most I think. The notch in the handle shows green behind it no matter what position the key is in, it's only when I rotate the handle downwards that I can see red through the notch. I dosed the whole lot in penetrating fluid today, will try and get it undone via the bolts tomorrow.

andrew_s46

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem on a car I bought a few years ago. A Volvo, but the setup was identical.

I followed all the suggestions here in my mission to remove the swan neck but it was still stuck. The more discerning members of the forum will probably shudder at this idea; I used a piece of wood and short handled sledge hammer to tap upwards of the swan neck whilst a helper kept the locking mechanism held open (I expect its spring loaded like mine). It freed up and could be lifted out.

8bit

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I will give that a go if/when we ever get the car back from Arnold Clark. They've had it a week now and only seem to have managed to change the faulty boot open button on the tailgate and re-gas the aircon (apparently without bothering to check for leaks first)....