Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have an 2013 XFR-S with 45K miles on and when driving low speeds whilst turning, nearly full lock, i can hear a grinding/juddering noise. Its even worse in the wet. A couple of year back i had insigna VXR which also had this issue and it turned out to the rear diff/haldex unit. Could this be similar? Apparently my car has an e-diff but this sounds much more mechanical. (apologies but im fair new to Jaguar so learning as i go)

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
344 Posts
Hi, i have an 2013 XFR-S with 45K miles on and when driving low speeds whilst turning, nearly full lock, i can hear a grinding/juddering noise. Its even worse in the wet. A couple of year back i had insigna VXR which also had this issue and it turned out to the rear diff/haldex unit. Could this be similar? Apparently my car has an e-diff but this sounds much more mechanical. (apologies but im fair new to Jaguar so learning as i go)

Thanks in advance.
Have you confirmed the noise is from the rear end of the car?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you confirmed the noise is from the rear end of the car?
Noise appears to be coming from the front tyres, can also feel this in the steering wheel. Its like the front tyres are losing grip when turning a tight circle. Theres plenty tread on most of the tyres but not so much towards the outside. Could it be simply the tyres losing grip with the road? Keen to see if anyone else has this issue with the R or R-S.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be "tyre skip", a reasonably common thing with XFs, see here: http://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?58578-Creek-on-full-lock&highlight=tyre+skip
Ah great thanks for that. I didn't have it with my previous 2.2 XF sportbrake but suppose its a completely different car. I do also get a bit of wheel arch scrub when on totally full lock so think ill get it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment check and get them to give it the once over whilst its in. Thanks again!

· Premium Member
XJ Autobiography
695 Posts
I noticed the tyre skip on my XF for the first time this week. It only happens when I first pull out of my drive on full lock when the tyres are cold and the temperature is low. There is no noise but it feels like you are driving over a slightly raised seam in the tarmac. I used to get it on my previous XF also. Both were/are fitted with Dunlops. Never got it with the Khumos.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed the tyre skip on my XF for the first time this week. It only happens when I first pull out of my drive on full lock when the tyres are cold and the temperature is low. There is no noise but it feels like you are driving over a slightly raised seam in the tarmac. I used to get it on my previous XF also. Both were/are fitted with Dunlops. Never got it with the Khumos.
Quite similar for me but appears to be getting worse but this could just be down to the tread on my tyres getting lower and the also the weather getting worse. I've Pirelli P-Zero on mine which I'm not a fan of. Think there is better mid-range tyres out there for cheaper. I obviously didn't fit the Pirelli myself. I had Khumo on my previous sportbrake as well as other previous cars and I'm a massive fan. Mine haven't much life in them yet so Khumo will be next.

· Premium Member
6,570 Posts
I too noted this tyre issue on Saturday last when the roads are wet.

Car is on P Zero's and I was actually running with under inflated tyres.

Pumped them up, left work still crabbing on full lock, it was still wet.

So as you surmise, it could well be the Pirelli tyres.

Rich

· Registered
344 Posts
Noise appears to be coming from the front tyres, can also feel this in the steering wheel. Its like the front tyres are losing grip when turning a tight circle. Theres plenty tread on most of the tyres but not so much towards the outside. Could it be simply the tyres losing grip with the road? Keen to see if anyone else has this issue with the R or R-S.
Interesting reading about this tyre skip thing I have the same grinding / scraping noise from the front only when on absolutely full lock at slow speed. I haven't spend much time looking at it tbh but assumed it was the tyre rubbing on the wheel arch liner or something .. There is obviously no CV joint to be causing it.

· Super Moderator
6,477 Posts
Quite similar for me but appears to be getting worse but this could just be down to the tread on my tyres getting lower and the also the weather getting worse. I've Pirelli P-Zero on mine which I'm not a fan of. Think there is better mid-range tyres out there for cheaper. I obviously didn't fit the Pirelli myself. I had Khumo on my previous sportbrake as well as other previous cars and I'm a massive fan. Mine haven't much life in them yet so Khumo will be next.
So the conclusion is that it is better to put a low-grip tyre on so it does not skip?

Seriously though, skip will be a geometrical phenomenon and independent of the rubber.

· Registered
453 Posts
I also had this on my X-Type on cold winter mornings on full lock just exiting the drive. It didn't happen once my winter tyres were fitted. I assumed it was due to hard rubber.

· Registered
344 Posts
'Tyre skip' sounds like it could be the issue! great if it is.

From what i can see there is nothing mechanical in the hub/wheel assembly, at the full extent of lock, that could create this rubbing/grinding noise other than wheel bearing...
although If it was bearing i'm sure you'd notice a droning during speed, that's my experience of knackered bearings.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi, I had this when I fitted Falken tyres, I changed to Goodyear two sets ago and have never had a problem since. Phil

· Registered
1,475 Posts
if they are Pirelli's on the front it will be them skipping. A common problem on XJ's too. Got rid of mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.