Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m beginning my research into my next car and I’m struggling to look past the above 3 (2011-2015 cars seem to be in budget), but couldn’t find too much about how they compare in maintenance/running costs.

I’d imagine they’d all be roughly similar for servicing/repairs (same supercharged 5 litre V8 etc.), though there may well be significant differences elsewhere (e.g. steel vs aluminium bodies). Economy-wise, I don’t think they’re different in any major way.

Insurance is much of a muchness, based on the quotes I’ve run.

Please could could someone more learned in the subject enlighten me? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I spent a few months looking for a XJR supersport but I found it difficult and had not considered an XFR. Until I was getting fed up with dealers not responding etc. The other issue was the size so I came across an XFR in the Colour combo I really wanted at the lower end of my budget. I am not disappointed at all it is a fabulous car. Having had XKR .and F Type V8 this XFR has been a pleasant surprise. On a run today of 260miles I had avg 28.5 mpg similar coming back from Somerset a few weeks ago. I suspect normal use will be low 20mpg. I had always dismissed the XF being a lover of the old XJ soI am so pleased to be proven wrong. Driving wise its really solid and more than fast enough overtaking is a hoot and comfort wise superb. just had mine service with filters oil etc and that was £250 plugs are due 105k miles and expensive at £300 plus.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I had a 2010 XFR but never an XJ.
From my reading the XJ is a significantly bigger car than the XF especially in the back seat (and even more so in the XJL) and I know the XF back seat is a little squeezy, so if you intend to regularly cart multiple passengers around an XJ would be the better choice. Also the XJ has a more luxurious looking and feeling interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.

The XJ is certainly my preference so far (probably the XJR, though they’re understandably more expensive).

From what I can gather, the only way the XFR is better is that the rear seats fold down…

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Thanks both.

The XJ is certainly my preference so far (probably the XJR, though they’re understandably more expensive).

From what I can gather, the only way the XFR is better is that the rear seats fold down…
not sure if Better is the word I would use certainly different Cars and depends on what you want to do with it. Long distance cruising the XJ will probably beat most Cars The XF is more comparable with the M5 . Probably a good idea to drive both if you get the chance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure if Better is the word I would use certainly different Cars and depends on what you want to do with it. Long distance cruising the XJ will probably beat most Cars The XF is more comparable with the M5 . Probably a good idea to drive both if you get the chance.
Of course I’d be test driving all 3: that’s the best bit of car buying, right?!

I just need to know how much (roughly) to budget for servicing/things going wrong etc.

I currently have a 4.2 Sovereign X350, which needed a new rear wishbone this week. I can live with that sort of thing, so long as it’s not a regular occurrence!

My TVR Tuscan on the other hand…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts