Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am new on this forum,i've bought a 2010 Jaguar XJ(this is my first ever Jaguar).Me and my wife we love it,stunning car,no mechanical or electrical problems except the rust that is visible from outside whe i open the sunroof! I never seen anything like it,i need your help/advice guys! How or who can fix this problem? I was thinking of doing it myself but i dont know how to take the outside glass panel off so i can have good acces to the affected,rusted area

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Top Tip, don't remove the glass panels!

Fully open the sunroof and sand off as much rust as possible.
Then treat with a rust converter and then paint over with black Hammerite.

My sunroof rails are ok and I just apply a coat of copper grease every year.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I found a video on youtube reviewing XJs the other day. The reviewer (a foreign chappie, sounds a bit like a meerkat) remarked that the sunroof runners of early XJs had a rust problem, but post-2012 they used a different metal and the problem was eliminated or drastically reduced. Unfortunately it looked to be a big job to remove the sunroofs and their frames. The reviewer suggested it might be better to treat the rust in situ, and repaint them every now and then. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

About 1 minute 5 seconds into this video.

Reactions: ArtyH and JimC64

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
When I had my 2010 XJ I had similar issues which are not uncommon as suggested.

I did a bit of reading and bought a product Bilt-Hamber Hydrate which I never got round to using as the car was returned for other reasons.

It seems to get good reviews in the automotive sector, but there are many products that will do the job.

I guess those areas you can't reach will always give you a bit of a worry but something you may have to live with.

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,727 Posts
Hi sir, and welcome aboard.

Pull up a stool, get comfortable, tell us more about the car, and post some pictures!

My solution was to leave the roof closed and get used to the squeak, until the time came to get a newer one (car, not roof). You will come to learn, however, that my solutions to issues are not always optimal.

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts

Pull up a stool, get comfortable, tell us more about the car, and post some pictures!

My solution was to leave the roof closed and get used to the squeak, until the time came to get a newer one (car, not roof). You will come to learn, however, that my solutions to issues are not always optimal.

Filth. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: WelshBoa and #steve

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts
Hi there, you've been given the best advice already it seems.

Never seen the glass panels removed, seems like a very big job, best done as best you can in situ. I've been lucky in that regard, mine's are in decent shape and looked after / treated regularly

Best of luck

Jim

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

Could strike a swan vesta on that!

·
Premium Member
16,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,059 Posts
The Titanic has less rust. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2017 Autobiography
11,727 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Top Tip, don't remove the glass panels!

Fully open the sunroof and sand off as much rust as possible.
Then treat with a rust converter and then paint over with black Hammerite.

My sunroof rails are ok and I just apply a coat of copper grease every year.
Thank you Steve!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys! I am new on this forum,i've bought a 2010 Jaguar XJ(this is my first ever Jaguar).Me and my wife we love it,stunning car,no mechanical or electrical problems except the rust that is visible from outside whe i open the sunroof! I never seen anything like it,i need your help/advice guys! How or who can fix this problem? I was thinking of doing it myself but i dont know how to take the outside glass panel off so i can have good acces to the affected,rusted area
Hi! I fixed the problem myself 2 months ago.I removed the glass panel( the sliding one) so i can acces the full are where the corrosion was.Sanded down,used fiber glass on the damaged area,sanded down the fiberglass,primed then sprayed 3 coats of black matt on the top of that! Let me know if you got any questions!
Hi! I fixed the problem myself 2 months ago.Removed the sliding glass panel so i have acces to the full corroded area,sanded off the rust,applied fiberglass on the area and sanded smooth.Then i used primer and at the end i sprayed 3 coats of matt black.Let me know if you got any questions
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

Window Water Hood Car Road surface

Car Vehicle Plant Window Automotive lighting

Hood Tire Car Wheel Automotive tire

Textile Purple Rectangle Grey Comfort

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Window

Hood Wood Tablecloth Linens Automotive design

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Window Vehicle Building Wood Car

·
Registered
5,575 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did you get the glass off?
Theres two plastic covers on each side,you can unclip them when your glass panel is fully open.once you done that you will see 3 torque screws on each side,you can remove them using a t20 or t25 screw bit.with somebody's help gently lift off the glass panel and place it somewhere safe
Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Window Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 47 Posts