Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, new here and looking for some help. i have been having some problems with my 1993 'L' plate 3.2ltr XJ40.

the problem:
the car starts on the key with no problems or hesitation and drives like it always did, it will accelerate without hesitation and doesn't miss a beat until it is fully up to its 'normal' temperature. just as it reaches 'normal' the revs die off and it refuses to rev past 2000-2500 sort of mark and i have had to limp her home at about 20ish mph the first time.

there was a fault code '44' on the dash. i did some research and found that this pointed to the oxygen or lambda sensor. this has been changed for a model specific NGK replacement. the problem still persisted.

next up there was a code '14' appeared once. i was advised to try the temperature sensor or 'thermo switch' this was replaced and then a second hand 'central control unit' was sourced. this made no difference either. code 14 hasn't appeared since

clutching at straws i have replaced the lambda sensor again this weekend as it seems the most obvious culprit but of course this hasnt helped at all.

the car had a new crank position sensor about 5 years ago. it had completely failed and the car would not start. is it possible that the crank positioning sensor could be at fault again?

there are now no codes registering on the dash and the car still refuses to co -operate. i understand the crank sensor doesn't put up any fault codes and doesn't cause an engine light on the dash. my plan is to clean the sensor tomorrow.

a friend took the poorly machine to top up the tank before i collected it one night and when he limped it home he said the exhaust manifold was glowing red when he stopped the car. but i have never witnessed this in my run-ins with the issue.

i have mentioned everything i can think of and any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated to get her going again!

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks galcian something i had not considered. i am awaiting a crank sensor bracket from germany as i managed to break the existing one upon removal, the sensor gap was also a tad larger than what the book states. when the bracket and new sensor arrives i would love for it to be cured, but my next port of call will be the cat. anyone got a price idea for a cat? nothing on ebay for my model so i think ill get one from eurojag?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fixed! crank sensor it was. new bracket and sensor from stratstones jaguar this week and shes purring as she should once again.

thanks folks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's fixed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad to report that the car is still running and has done around 1800 miles since the crank sensor cured the fault - apart from a niggling little technicality - on approaching 'normal' temperature, if i stop at a junction/traffic lights etc, the idle will fluctuate and even stall. the engine will restart with a bit of spluttering. and if i do not come to a complete halt, but down to say 5-10mph then attempt to accelerate away again the throttle is unresponsive until i completely remove my foot from the pedal, and then as soon as i reapply pressure, she accelerates as she should, i only encounter these issues if i have to stop/ slow down as she approaches her 'normal' temperature as indicated on the dash. these issues throw up the 'check engine' light and also the 'fuel 44' code. if ii do not stop at this critical period then the engine light does not illuminate., and i do not encounter any issues.

she has carried me from the isle of mull, to newcastle, onto london and back with not a single hiccup. but i would like to cure this minor issue.

any ideas and suggestions would be great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.