Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discoverered a plate sized oil stain on the garage floor under the centre front of my 3.0 V6 with some recent wetness from standing a few days. Definitely engine oil and some drips visibly forming under the engine. No undertray to catch them. Searching suggests the V6 engine may have a known issue of leaking sump gasket at higher mileage - mine only 84k. Anyone here know about this ? how quickly does it deteriorate ? is it livable with ? cost and complexity of changing the gasket and does that work ? My oil level has gone from upper to lower level mark in 4k miles so Iam going to need to keep an eye on it between services.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Hi, first you need to clean around the engine, start the car and let it warm up and then see if you can see where the leak is coming from. Losing that amount of oil will require regular checks of the level.

Roger

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did take the top cover off and tried to look from underneath with the car jacked up but it really needs to be on a lift becuase I couldn't get to see round the sump joint. It is only dripping on the near side of the sump . Couldn't see the oil filter - is it on the nearside of the engine so could it be a possible suspect?
no other cars I have owned that I can remember have done this and we are not in the 1960s. Do you think it is a justifiable warranty claim or more likely to be cited as reasonable wear and tear ?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The 3 litre petrol does indeed suffer from sump gasket leaking when it gets to mileages like yours. I had to have it replaced on my previous X350. It is not a quick job, because some dismantling is needed in order to get to all the nuts holding it on. I looked at the S-type forum where there are far more 3 litres and found it as a common fault. It may have been improved in later cars, but I really don't know. My current 3 litre seems OK at the moment, now on 67k miles.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
further to my last post, I can say that the sump gasket normally only drips a bit and stains your driveway, (in my case much to my wifes annoyance !!). If you have a plate-sized oil slick on the floor, it indicates it may be something else.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VSL have once again come up trumps and agreed to change sump gasket even though 3 month warranty has just expired and gaskets not usually covered. Very happy I paid a little more than private because I was impressed by their customer care attitude.

Did not know about this problem with the ford V6 engine which is usually touted as bullet proof and more reliable than the jag v8. Definitely worth checking if you are thinking about a V6. Maybe should be added to buying guide ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plate is the stain from old drips. Just a 2 or three drip beads dropping overnight. VSL going to check it out fully in case its anything more. Will update in due course.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The plate is the stain from old drips. Just a 2 or three drip beads dropping overnight. VSL going to check it out fully in case its anything more. Will update in due course.
From what you say, it does look like the sump gasket. Whether this was improved on the later cars I don't know, but as I now have a 2007 Sovereign on 67k miles, I shall no doubt find out soon one way or the other !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took car into VSL today and had the chance for a good peer round while up on ramps. They confirmed it is the sump gasket and it is going in next weds for replacement under warranty. Glad it is nothing worse and that VSL are looking after me well as promised.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Ok so this thread is of particular interest!

Only had my X350 for a week and noticed a few rainbow stains on the wet driveway, so took it across the road (literally!) to a local garage. He called me to come see and the sight wasn't pretty. Having removed the under-cover there's a decent amount of oil covering almost everything, and the residue in the cover itself suggests it's an aged problem.

The guy hadn't worked on this engine before and subtly told me he wasn't keen on tackling the job of replacing sump the sump gasket. I called JAG in Wolverhampton who quoted approx £25 for the gasket and depending on how easy the suspension bolts come out to facilitate an engine lift, said it'd be about £150 labour. I breathed the biggest sigh of relief and it's booked in for next week.

Once it's been done the lady is going up for sale - I'm done with Jaguar's I'm afraid! I bought this as it's pristine inside & out with a service history and loads of straight MOT passes. It's an amazing car and even better with the 2 x straight pipes I had fitted last week. Whilst it's a joy to drive I can't enjoy it with the constant worry that any day I'll be hit with a massive repair bill.

Watch this space :cry:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
TBH, the issues you have had can happen to any car, X350s are not perfect, but I have had nearly 5 years good service out of the ones I have had.

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
First things first. Where did you buy the car. If this was a private deal then you only have yourself to blame for something that you should have spotted at purchase. If it was a dealer then get them to put it right if you have only had it for a week. Any car can suffer with any problem at any time so if you want a car without problems then you will be hard pressed to find one. Even New Cars can have their teething problems.
I bought my car at 2.5 years old from a main dealer and within a couple of weeks they had to change the thermostat housing. From that day I had nearly eight years of trouble free motoring other than normal wear and tear items.

Roger

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so this thread is of particular interest!

Only had my X350 for a week and noticed a few rainbow stains on the wet driveway, so took it across the road (literally!) to a local garage. He called me to come see and the sight wasn't pretty. Having removed the under-cover there's a decent amount of oil covering almost everything, and the residue in the cover itself suggests it's an aged problem.

The guy hadn't worked on this engine before and subtly told me he wasn't keen on tackling the job of replacing sump the sump gasket. I called JAG in Wolverhampton who quoted approx £25 for the gasket and depending on how easy the suspension bolts come out to facilitate an engine lift, said it'd be about £150 labour. I breathed the biggest sigh of relief and it's booked in for next week.

Once it's been done the lady is going up for sale - I'm done with Jaguar's I'm afraid! I bought this as it's pristine inside & out with a service history and loads of straight MOT passes. It's an amazing car and even better with the 2 x straight pipes I had fitted last week. Whilst it's a joy to drive I can't enjoy it with the constant worry that any day I'll be hit with a massive repair bill.

Watch this space :cry:
if you get the job done for 175 I think you will have done very well. Reckon there are probably a lot of v6 x350 with oil dripping unnoticed into the cover. My cover has gone so I noticed it as soon as it started on the garage floor but it's more than the odd drip. I don't expect a complex 12 year old car to be without the odd niggle but I'm happy with my dealers response.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
So you have the car for a week, find a small fault costing little to fix, and this has put you off Jaguar ? I can see you changing your cars about once a month minimum in future, as any used car can have faults.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having been provided with courtesy car got mine back with new sump gasket, new oil/ filter and valet inside and out. About 5 hours labour. Everything free of charge under their own warranty. They found an easier way to it without removing subframe per jag manual by lifting the engine. A big thumbs up for excellent service from my dealer VSL in Gartstang. Sqeaky clean garage floor again.:)

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
That's good, are you now going to sell it:-?

Roger

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep deffo, sump gasket failure ,common fault on 350.mines doin it slightly .200 quid fix removing beam before dropping sump.
On other cars I've lifted engine a little to access sump bolts and get clearance to actually remove sump not sure if can be done, ime going to look at a 350 3.0 ltr ime sure it has a leak as the drive under it is oil soaked and think was mentioned in the mot history, ile ask a few local garage for a quote

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.